LJ Collier

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I also have not written him off. However, when I see people argue that player X did not so well their rookie season and went on to be an all-pro I just chuckle because for every one of those there are hundreds that sucked as rookies and got cut.

Being a healthy scratch later in the season means he wasn't good enough in Practice to earn a spot on the game day roster. Think of that. On one of the worst defensive lines in the league. And, unless I am mistaken he was being asked to play virtually the same role as he did in college. Yes there is a transition but its not like he switched from WR to DB. He has probably played the same position for 8-10 years.

I hope he shows at least backup position abilities which would be disappointing based on draft position but at least he would be contributing slightly more than a practice squad player.

Teahawks

Reaction score
One reason I'm not super optimistic is his age. He didn't become a starter in college until his redshirt senior season. That would be age ~23 or so. So last year he was 24 on the Hawks basically.

Guys just don't magically turn it on at age 25 usually.

You generally know if a guy is a first round talent or not by age 20 or 21. They dominate in college and don't take years to become the starter.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Teahawks":304vbhgb said:
One reason I'm not super optimistic is his age. He didn't become a starter in college until his redshirt senior season. That would be age ~23 or so. So last year he was 24 on the Hawks basically.

You generally know if a guy is a first round talent or not by age 20 or 21. They dominate in college and don't take years to become the starter.

Difference is Green is still very young so I have much higher hope Green breaks out this year than Collier will.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3ut2x17j said:
Not sure why the team can't pick a first round pick that can contribute in their first year.

As said before,,,,,,,,,Scot McLaughlin. PC and JS have been riding the success of his coattails ever since.

sutz

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":20s3p2vv said:
JayhawkMike":20s3p2vv said:
Not sure why the team can't pick a first round pick that can contribute in their first year.

As said before,,,,,,,,,Scot McLaughlin. PC and JS have been riding the success of his coattails ever since.
BS. It's because we've been picking in the bottom half of the first round since Pete and John have got here. When you're picking in the last 10-12 slots of the first round it's little better than 2 Rd picks as far as talent and readiness for prime time.

It's not like we're bombing a lot of top 10 picks here.

Largent80

Reaction score
Collier is at best a second round grade. He needs time and unfortunately, isn't getting it again this year.

sutz

Reaction score
It's still too soon to just give up on him IMHO.

Boycie

Reaction score
sutz":1hxpq7v4 said:
pittpnthrs":1hxpq7v4 said:
JayhawkMike":1hxpq7v4 said:

BS. It's because we've been picking in the bottom half of the first round since Pete and John have got here. When you're picking in the last 10-12 slots of the first round it's little better than 2 Rd picks as far as talent and readiness for prime time.

This^

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
sutz":4biucjvb said:
pittpnthrs":4biucjvb said:
JayhawkMike":4biucjvb said:

Yes, BUT we've also passed on many talented players over the years in the first round of the draft. Lots of missed opportunity here. Now, they can't get it 100 percent of the time -- the draft is an educated guess at the end of the day. Unfortunately they haven't been right for quite some time here. They just don't understand value here, which is funny because in the second round they've gotten some real great value in Frank Clark and DK Metcalf.

Now about Scott McLaughlin, do I think he played a part? Yes, he's had good success wherever he's gone. The biggest factor that aloud the Seahawks to build the teams we did in first half of the 2010s was largely due to inside information on Pete's end though. Many of the players that we drafted Carroll had actively recruited or played against at one time or another. Carroll also had a system that favored unique sets of characteristics. Big cornerbacks such as Browner, Sherman and safeties such as Kam Chancellor were considered just role players, but those are the types of players Pete pursued. This in turn meant that the Seahawks got insane value. Now the Seahawks defense has spread across the NFL and some of Carroll's schemes have been adapted by other teams. These players are harder to acquire than they were before.

Carroll was able to take the NFL by surprise, and as a result we were able to build what may go down as the best overall team of the 2010s and certainly the best defense of the decade. Now I have been one of Pete's bigger detractors, but we really need to give credit where it is due. Carroll was the only guy that could have assembled that particular team.

Teahawks

Reaction score
Wenhawk":mr13jxmx said:
Teahawks":mr13jxmx said:

Difference is Green is still very young so I have much higher hope Green breaks out this year than Collier will.

This is exactly what I am hoping for too. Green should be able to get more snaps or develop into an inside rusher if Irvin and others are on the edge.

Nascar package of Collier and Green on the inside, and Irvin and Mayowa on the outside?

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Teahawks":1ywwj1fx said:
Wenhawk":1ywwj1fx said:
Teahawks":1ywwj1fx said:

This is exactly what I am hoping for too. Green should be able to get more snaps or develop into an inside rusher if Irvin and others are on the edge.

Nascar package of Collier and Green on the inside, and Irvin and Mayowa on the outside?
Green and Ford has some promise. I hope it turns out they can produce and Carroll looks like a genius.

This isn’t the 2013 defense anymore!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
sutz":itt3o5cw said:
pittpnthrs":itt3o5cw said:
JayhawkMike":itt3o5cw said:

They really havent had a decent draft since 2012. 2015 was alright I guess. Sorry, I think JS and Pete are criminally overrated when it comes to drafting.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
hawks85":m92r0l7n said:
Man it would be awesome if Collier just wrecks havoc this year and becomes a top 5 DE by the end of the year.

Yes, and it would also be awesome if a naked supermodel fell into my lap with 100 boxes of 3xl condoms, $10 million in cash, the keys to Knight Rider and 4 of her closest supermodel friends in an exclusive island resort. You keep dreaming. I’m going to go make it happen. :D

tersal

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":6jjc2j2z said:
If there is a season this year, what the hell do you want to see from this guy?

I know it was said this guy had a great senior bowl where he was unblockable, but I didn't see anything worth having for a first round pick while he was at TCU.

If he is supposed to play 5 tech, he did not showcase any speed/burst/explosion off the ball pass rushing and has very limited pass rush moves.

This guy better up some good numbers or else he is a bust for a first round pick.

You expect first round picks to be very solid contributors and this guy better do something cause his college film does not show him as anything special.

A more productive season is needed no doubt concerining that. However it is not unusual for a first round pick to struggle considering how much training camp he missed along with the injuries. We will see.

By the way the NFL draft is by far the most important in sports. The NBA draft is laughable as normally there are only less than ten players who will have an entire career with a team. I am being generous with that assessment. Baseball players normally have to spend time in the minor leagues and Hockey I do not follow not sure how that goes. The NFL draft truly is the best for following a draft pick's development.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Difference between Senior Bowl video and LJ`s regular season efforts is explosion. That ankle injury was supposed to be bad, and would have explained the lack of explosiveness that we remember. Here's to an improved season.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2et94ws4 said:
I feel his play could be very similar to Michael Bennett. Bennett didn’t light up the league in his first year either.

They need to move him inside and put him in that role.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
DHawk":2jce0v5c said:
Malik 2.0, minus the brain damage.
Disagree. Malik has more talent, athleticism and higher ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Dimes

Reaction score
By the time his ankle healed up he was out of game shape. I’m sure we’ll see an improved player this year. Too early to write him off as a bust.