Lock contadicts js on expectations

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Why would JS try to sabotage Lock like that? What a jerk.
It is the worst kept secret in the league that the Giants are looking desperately to move on from Daniel Jones.

They don't want that explicitly out there yet, but it's not even a secret that they're looking to acquire a quarterback in the draft.

I guarantee Lock is coming into this being told "Hey, you're going to back up this starter who we hate and are probably going to bench, wink wink. Who knows what might happen from there, wink wink. Maybe we'll make a move and you'll be competing with a rookie, wink wink."

That probably is not something the Giants want advertised, which is why everyone had to be like "haha, no, no! Not that!"

Not the savviest move by JS, but I highly doubt that Lock isn't extremely aware that Daniel Jones is absolutely doomed. Everyone knows that.

Jac

Reaction score
Why would JS try to sabotage Lock like that? What a jerk.
Yeah, JS is experienced enough to know that this wasn't his place to say. He probably should have stayed in his lane with the "here's an answer that's not really an answer" coach/GM speak.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
It is the worst kept secret in the league that the Giants are looking desperately to move on from Daniel Jones.

They don't want that explicitly out there yet, but it's not even a secret that they're looking to acquire a quarterback in the draft.

I guarantee Lock is coming into this being told "Hey, you're going to back up this starter who we hate and are probably going to bench, wink wink. Who knows what might happen from there, wink wink. Maybe we'll make a move and you'll be competing with a rookie, wink wink."

That probably is not something the Giants want advertised, which is why everyone had to be like "haha, no, no! Not that!"

Not the savviest move by JS, but I highly doubt that Lock isn't extremely aware that Daniel Jones is absolutely doomed. Everyone knows that.
I thought it was just me thinking the giants are drafting a QB in the first round. All the draft sites have them drafting D line or a WR.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I thought it was just me thinking the giants are drafting a QB in the first round. All the draft sites have them drafting D line or a WR.
Lotta smoke. Daniel Jeremiah, Connor Hughes, and Albert Breer all reported that they have a real desire to trade up. Breer reported that the Giants were actively pursuing conversations with other teams about trading up at the Combine (along with the Raiders doing the same).

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maybe I don't have the entire article or something or maybe i'm just still half asleep and not grasping the sarcasm, but what exactly did JS do here?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Maybe I don't have the entire article or something or maybe i'm just still half asleep and not grasping the sarcasm, but what exactly did JS do here?
All he really did was say that Drew was given a chance to compete for a starting job in New York, and then Drew and a bunch of reporters who were obviously being fed by the NYG front office had to say "No, no, I'm coming in as a backup, Daniel is the guy 100%!"

I... don't see how this is sabotage, but JS is guilty of a mild faux pas at worst.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
So JS is making excuses for not signing Lock and then wasting draft capital to fill the hole?

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Ohhh noooo...JS blew up the Giants spot.

Good, that team is bottom tier trash.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
So JS is making excuses for not signing Lock and then wasting draft capital to fill the hole?
I... think he probably just liked Howell more and didn't want to pay Lock 5 million after he's been unable to supplant Geno for 2 consecutive seasons. Might as well get a more worthwhile developmental quarterback in here as the backup.

I have my qualms with the trade as well, but I don't think he missed out on Lock. I think he just didn't want him.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
All he really did was say that Drew was given a chance to compete for a starting job in New York, and then Drew and a bunch of reporters who were obviously being fed by the NYG front office had to say "No, no, I'm coming in as a backup, Daniel is the guy 100%!"

I... don't see how this is sabotage, but JS is guilty of a mild faux pas at worst.

Ok thanks. So it really is a bunch of nothing. I thought I missed something where maybe JS filled Locks head with thoughts that the Giants were done and moving on from Jones. That doesn't appear to be the case. I can't see where JS is guilty of anything.

I'm not a Geno guy, but I never pushed for Lock to be the starter. Everybody knows what Lock is. He has some nice tools, but he's an inconsistent backup QB. Thats all. That's what Howell is too. Not sure why so many people try to convince themselves otherwise.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Jones will be on a short leash. His chances of starting games there are much higher. John wasn't lying, really. And Lock is being a good teammate.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
It was a D move. Totally unnecessary to even comment on.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Ok thanks. So it really is a bunch of nothing. I thought I missed something where maybe JS filled Locks head with thoughts that the Giants were done and moving on from Jones. That doesn't appear to be the case. I can't see where JS is guilty of anything.

I'm not a Geno guy, but I never pushed for Lock to be the starter. Everybody knows what Lock is. He has some nice tools, but he's an inconsistent backup QB. Thats all. That's what Howell is too. Not sure why so many people try to convince themselves otherwise.
I think we've gotta caveat our takes on young guys, especially ones coming from bad situations. It's all about development and the situation we can put them in (in terms of whether those guys can hit their potential here).

People like making definitive statements, but really with guys like Howell, I think it's got to be "I think this guy has this ceiling, this floor, etc." Balancing potential with their issues and acknowledging that they can either improve, regress, or stagnate based on the factors we control around them.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I... think he probably just liked Howell more and didn't want to pay Lock 5 million after he's been unable to supplant Geno for 2 consecutive seasons. Might as well get a more worthwhile developmental quarterback in here as the backup.

I have my qualms with the trade as well, but I don't think he missed out on Lock. I think he just didn't want him.
That’s a reasonable position. I do wonder if the drop in draft position is worth any monetary savings of not re-signing Lock. You and i would probably disagree as to whether we think Lock had a real shot to be QB1 but it’s done. BTW I am not a big Lock person, at all.