MacDonald doesn’t commit to Geno as starter

Toxic_Luke

Reaction score
It's normal for him not to nail anything now, new coaching staff, new system and good QBs in this class.
Maybe he sees Geno as a bridge QB to help our future.
but today, for sure, Geno is our QB1.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
This is much ado about nothing.
The Seahawks *might* draft a QB to compete with Geno, so there isn't a reason to just declare him the starter. If the Hawks are unable to land anyone in the draft or FA or trade who could legitimately compete with Geno then he is the de facto starter.
I don't think the Hawks will get anyone who could (or should) start this year, but if they draft a 1st round QB then Geno would at least need to beat him out in camp.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Well yeah, no point in naming him now when we don't know how the draft and free agency will play out.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I'm usually one to be a bit more "Geno will be QB1 on week 1" but I got to be honest, reading the quote -- it wasn't exactly a resounding support for "Geno has the job and while he still has to earn it, we don't guarantee anything" it was more of a -- "We'll see!"

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Well, Geno's the starter right now because he's the only QB on the roster.

But yeah, everything depends on FA and the draft. If we get a legit QB to compete with Geno then it's a training camp battle. If we get a project, then Geno's likely the guy for one more year.

It's been clear from day one that MacD is going to take his time to evaluate the roster John brings him and have the best guys playing. He's still learning the players we got and installing defensive and offensive schemes.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
To be fair, Kyle said Purdy would be the starter in Jan 2023 provided Brock was healthy. He made it clear there would be no “camp competition” with Trey Lance For qb1 While bringing in competition for qb2.

And that case is a lot less obvious than this one.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Total Nothing Burger. Why would he commit to Geno before he and his OC have had a chance to see how he fits into the new system.

Involves our new HC commenting on our QB, so no prob on the post...but the drama potential that might ensue...

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
He should have said that as of week 1, Geno’s the starter. That just acknowledges the reality that no draft pick will be ready to start in week 1, nor are they likely to insert lock or a cheaper talent as qb.

kidhawk

Reaction score
He should have said that as of week 1, Geno’s the starter. That just acknowledges the reality that no draft pick will be ready to start in week 1, nor are they likely to insert lock or a cheaper talent as qb.

I disagree. We paid Flynn to come here the year we drafted Wilson. Everyone expected Wilson to back up the first year but he played himself into the start game 1. I would expect him to see guys on the field before making such a commitment.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He could have said he's for sure the starter day one, but he didn't. Good. This is as it should be. Always compete, right?
I like Geno a lot. You know this.

But this is the correct way to view this, and this is the correct mindset for Mac to have as the incoming coach, regardless of how any of you feel about Geno Smith's caliber.

Macdonald is an incoming coach coming into a situation where we have a moderately priced bridge QB on the roster. Whether you fall in the camp that has Geno closer to 10th best than 20th best or not, that isn't the type of situation in which you immediately anoint the man the starter of the team.

We're not into free agency. We're not into the draft. We have no idea who is going to be on the roster, and with a fully overhauled staff, it should be subject to a competition regardless.

Now, I think the likely ideal circumstance will to have Geno start in front of a rookie, or at least a young free agent with some potential. But that's a prediction. You cannot get to that point without an acquisition and a legit competiton.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score

chrispy

Reaction score
It would be difficult to describe the tantrums on this board if he had said Geno is the starter.

Nothing's determined yet and any coach or gm that pins themselves down at this point in the off season is blatantly lying to divert attention from their true intention.

toffee

Reaction score