Lockette is likely gone.

original poster

Reaction score
I don't think he will go because of the play, I don't think anyone will lose their jobs over it personally. Rightly or wrongly...

You can bet your bottom dollar it won't happen again, though.

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
I keep remembering the advice that Bill Walsh gave to Joe Montana just before the pass to Dwight Clark:

From "The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football"

"Bill and Joe huddled again at the sideline. They had two downs to play with here, Walsh reminded his quarterback, so if a receiver wasn't open, throw the ball away and they'd try again on fourth down...The last thing Walsh told Joe as he returned to the field was to throw it away if there was trouble but don't under any circumstances try to force the ball in and risk another interception."

Someone needs to send a copy to Carroll, Bevell, and Wilson.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":14a26zjh said:
Hawks46":14a26zjh said:
I have watched that play again, and I'll say this:

Yes, Lockette should've fought harder for that ball. Kearse also should've gotten off the line of scrimmage quicker and stronger. Both WRs half assed their routes. People say Wilson threw a bad throw, but really, it wasn't that bad. Sure, he could've hit Lockette dead center, but this is a Bang! Bang! play and Wilson is trying not to throw the ball behind Lockette.

Pete said they were running this play to waste a play. To be honest, it looked like both WRs knew that, and acted like it was a play destined not to go anywhere. The only person on that play that was giving 100% was the Patriots defender.

I'll still blame the play call. It stunk and the players knew it.

Wasting a play is the stupidest logic I have ever heard, and goes completely against his always compete mantra. I truly don't understand what Pete was thinking here.

I think "wasting a play" was simply a poor word choice on P.C.'s part. In the full quote he says he thought they had about a 50% success rate on that play. What he was saying was that he was mindful of how much time he was leaving the Pats if the Hawks scored.

The strategy was correct. The outcome was bad.

byau

Reaction score
I don't think Lockette is gone. Besides special teams, the guy does have a chip. Remember his blocking on Beast Quake 2? He's a team player for our guys

I don't even know if Bevell is gone. There is likely a pass play in there at the end. Can you imagine going four downs rushing and not getting a TD? Then what? I agree with most I still would have had Marshawn rush another time

If you want to blame someone for that last play, I'd blame Russell.

In the end he is the one on the field executing. I don't think he was dialed in and he didn't finish. As the game went on his passing got worse (remember the drive before? His 3rd down pass to Lynch was wild?). Had he been focused I think he would have realized where the defense was and thrown behind Lockette a bit instead of leading him into coverage. Had Russell executed that pass we would all be saying how genius it was to pass the ball when they were expecting a rush.

As far as being dialed in: And even there, I'd say the team as a whole was not as dialed in as it could have been. Maybe they were spent from the Green Bay game, who knows, they just didn't have that killer instinct that they carried the last 8 to 9 weeks.

I trust John and Pete to make the right decisions. They'll figure out what the mistakes were and figure out best how to fix them whether it's letting someone go, looking for something specific in FA and the draft, and what not.

That being said: I'd be surprised if Lockette was gone.

blkhwk

Reaction score
If you're going to throw in that situation on a "waste" down, run the fade to the back pylon. Either it's a TD or inc.

Bloodrunsblue

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1x74bj18 said:
If he engaged the defender more aggressively he would have correctly been called for offensive pass interference and the Hawks would have been facing 2nd down from the 11 yard line rather than the 1 yard line with less than 20 seconds left.

If he had played it more aggressively Hawks fans would be calling for Kearse's head rather than Bevell's head.

Watch the play. Look how close Browner and Butler come to contact. If Kearse flows Browner toward the center of the field with the intention of cutting off the safety we aren't having this convo.

We wouldn't be having it if they just gave it to Marshawn either.....

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Popeyejones":qckacgis said:
Seahawks1983":qckacgis said:
Hawks46":qckacgis said:
I have watched that play again, and I'll say this:

Yes, Lockette should've fought harder for that ball. Kearse also should've gotten off the line of scrimmage quicker and stronger. Both WRs half assed their routes. People say Wilson threw a bad throw, but really, it wasn't that bad. Sure, he could've hit Lockette dead center, but this is a Bang! Bang! play and Wilson is trying not to throw the ball behind Lockette.

Pete said they were running this play to waste a play. To be honest, it looked like both WRs knew that, and acted like it was a play destined not to go anywhere. The only person on that play that was giving 100% was the Patriots defender.

I'll still blame the play call. It stunk and the players knew it.

Wasting a play is the stupidest logic I have ever heard, and goes completely against his always compete mantra. I truly don't understand what Pete was thinking here.

I think "wasting a play" was simply a poor word choice on P.C.'s part. In the full quote he says he thought they had about a 50% success rate on that play. What he was saying was that he was mindful of how much time he was leaving the Pats if the Hawks scored.

The strategy was correct. The outcome was bad.

That makes far more sense. I agree that a pass play is the right move there. I just think they called the wrong pass play.

soxhawk

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":11wh24l6 said:
I keep remembering the advice that Bill Walsh gave to Joe Montana just before the pass to Dwight Clark:

From "The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football"

"Bill and Joe huddled again at the sideline. They had two downs to play with here, Walsh reminded his quarterback, so if a receiver wasn't open, throw the ball away and they'd try again on fourth down...The last thing Walsh told Joe as he returned to the field was to throw it away if there was trouble but don't under any circumstances try to force the ball in and risk another interception."

Someone needs to send a copy to Carroll, Bevell, and Wilson.

Here here. That was certainly a forced play. That being said, butler made a hell of a play and it killed us. I would've been hurt too if lynch coughed it up, but I wouldn't be second guessing anyone other than lynch not protecting the ball.

hawk45

Reaction score
Popeyejones":101unlla said:
If he engaged the defender more aggressively he would have correctly been called for offensive pass interference and the Hawks would have been facing 2nd down from the 11 yard line rather than the 1 yard line with less than 20 seconds left.

If he had played it more aggressively Hawks fans would be calling for Kearse's head rather than Bevell's head.

This is true and even happened last year to Tate in an important moment (being called for OPI).

IMO this is why the slant isn't the right call for *our* team. We do not execute these well and haven't for 3 years, regardless of what other NFL teams do. Wilson struggles with vision (perhaps) and with ball placement, receivers struggle with routes and with bouncing the ball up into the air, and in this particular case Lockette isn't even one of the regular wideouts called on to run the route. But at that point it was Lockette and Kearse, and given Kearse and slants last week, I can see why they picked Lockette.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
We all like the guy on special teams, but he isn't suddenly going to be the receiver we need. He has completed his development at this point as a receiver and I don't expect him to be back. If he is, it would indicate that we didn't upgrade that position which we obviously really need to do.

sutz

Reaction score
Plenty of blame to go around, from the play call, to the throw, to the receiver.

I doubt anybody gets fired for this particular incident. And I don't think anybody will. However, the draft is coming up, so players will have more competition...well Lockette probably will.
;)

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
I really wonder about sports fans and how they come to their logical conclusions at times. Every one here is an expert when they have the benefit of hindsight.

That play was NOT a risky play.

That slant play was run in the NFL this year a total of 66 times. Does anyone here know how many times it was picked off by the defensive team?

Yes. A grand total of ONE time...the one time being in Super Bowl 49 on Sunday. Prior to that no quarterback threw an interception with that play call.

byau

Reaction score
sutz":ofq97tuz said:
Plenty of blame to go around, from the play call, to the throw, to the receiver.

I doubt anybody gets fired for this particular incident. And I don't think anybody will. However, the draft is coming up, so players will have more competition...well Lockette probably will.
;)

Definitely coming around to your main point on day 3. Poor execution all around. Playcall was questionable, not outright bad. Better executing, we'd be celebrating.

I expect John and Pete to analyze the season, figure where the needs are, and bring people in to compete.

I really REALLY am not over this SB49, probably won't be for awhile, dwelling on how we could have won it, but I'm also looking forward to what's next.

morgulon1

Reaction score
[align=][/align]
Russ Willstrong":9yxvizoh said:
Based on the management's backing of Bevell as well as expert's take on what went wrong.
Lockette the rockette did not go full throttle. Had it been Baldwin, Kearse even Lynch that play gets made.
You must FLASH on that route and at the very least shield it. Some fans are saying Wilson led him too much but rewatch it in real time and you see that play should have been run quicker. I dont know what Lockette was thinking but if he thought he's going to stroll into the endzone because Kearse is going to rub his man than Lockette is plain stupid. Don't think about anything else but getting to the spot.

Like everyone I'm working through the healing process. The wound appears to fester the more I see the play.
The main reason is we were so close but certain players were not made for the moment. Lockette is one of such guys. Anybody disagree?

No I don't disagree. There is a reason that Lockette is down the depth chart . He has bounced around the NFL a little and found a vocation as a special team standout. I don't care what Doug Baldwin thinks and his "chip on the shoulder"
mentality. We need to upgrade WR.

seahawks08

Reaction score
That was a play for Paul Richardson and his quickness. Ricardo is fast but his reflexes may be a little slower, Kearse is fast but he doesn't have the body to wrestle. Zach Miller would have been the best. I dont understand why our TEs take so long to develop. Is it because we dont throw the ball often or is a vision issue foe RW where he needs some sometime away from the DLine to make plays. This is something RW can improve on just following Drew Brees. Anticipate and throw but then it would go against ball security. Gosh I miss Tate.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Lockette gone?

I doubt it, he's a cheap re-sign and a solid ST player who adds a dimension of speed. As ever he'll need to compete to make the team next Sept. but I think they'll re-up him. The CB Butler made an extraordinary play to get the INT and knocked Lockette off his route as they both went for the ball, if anything RW lead Lockette a bit much, but he went hard for the ball and got knocked down by the force of the collision between the two players. All in all it was a terrible play call for the situation and a somewhat dangerous play in the situation, sadly bad stuff happened.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Daytomann":2d0qu7tv said:
It was the wrong play...lockette, Kearse Baldwin lynch Dez Bryant Calvin Johnson Steve largent doesn't matter. You run it with lynch.
Absolutely this.

MVP53

Reaction score
I guess I don't fully understand why Lockette is the target there. Why not line up a more polished receiver in that formation like Baldwin?

Not to mention, as I posted in another thread that was locked for some reason, the play completely neutralizes Wilson's strengths as a QB, namely his ability to make plays on the move and his decision making. This was nothing more than catch & throw for RW. TJack may as well have been the QB on that play, as all it was, was hitting a target from 5 ft away.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":r7mbvgcv said:
Based on the management's backing of Bevell as well as expert's take on what went wrong.
Lockette the rockette did not go full throttle. Had it been Baldwin, Kearse even Lynch that play gets made.
You must FLASH on that route and at the very least shield it. Some fans are saying Wilson led him too much but rewatch it in real time and you see that play should have been run quicker. I dont know what Lockette was thinking but if he thought he's going to stroll into the endzone because Kearse is going to rub his man than Lockette is plain stupid. Don't think about anything else but getting to the spot.

Like everyone I'm working through the healing process. The wound appears to fester the more I see the play.
The main reason is we were so close but certain players were not made for the moment. Lockette is one of such guys. Anybody disagree?

I'm not to worried about whether or not we lose Lockette but I believe your wrong in your thinking here. First off Kearse failing to get off the line and set the pick is what killed the play. I find it difficult to be upset with Kearse either though since the man guarding him, Browner, was a former teammate who had practiced this play and new exactly how to destroy it.

Second of all even if Lockette makes that catch he wouldn't have made it into the end zone. None of the others you suggested would have either by the way with the possible exception of Lynch.

It was a bad play call and a sucker play call that we were goaded into making by a far more cerebral coach. Bo one player should depart solely because of it. A coach or a coordinator who got suckered though... I could see them leaving ...but only if they refuse to learn from their mistake.

also I don't understand why you guys refuse to give more credit to Browner. I believe he should have been MVP. He shut down Mathews (who was apparently the only wrinkle our entire staff was able to come up with) then he diagnosed and blew up what should have been the game winning play for us.