Lockette is likely gone.

netskier

Reaction score
We did not use Baldwin here because Revis shut him down all day except for the referee pick play.

I believe we will keep him for many reasons already mentioned by others, plus his extreme ability to stretch the field vertically, which when combined with Richardson doing this on the other side, will stretch the defense so much it will be easy to break, I.e., Lockette is half of a double deep threat.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Hawks46":3jqvkggf said:
I have watched that play again, and I'll say this:

Yes, Lockette should've fought harder for that ball. Kearse also should've gotten off the line of scrimmage quicker and stronger. Both WRs half assed their routes. People say Wilson threw a bad throw, but really, it wasn't that bad. Sure, he could've hit Lockette dead center, but this is a Bang! Bang! play and Wilson is trying not to throw the ball behind Lockette.

Pete said they were running this play to waste a play. To be honest, it looked like both WRs knew that, and acted like it was a play destined not to go anywhere. The only person on that play that was giving 100% was the Patriots defender.

I'll still blame the play call. It stunk and the players knew it.

I couldn't disagree more, you can't blame the playcalling if the execution is crap. As you said neither WR did well on that play. Fact is A) Wilson lead him too much, if it's a foot inside were not even talking about this play. B) Lockette sits there and waits for the ball, (had he known the DB was breaking on the ball I'd imagine he would have been more aggressive).

IMO the majority of the blame falls on Lockette for not going all out and attacking the football, if he did it's most likely an incompletion and we're celebrating a victory.

FanFromJapan

Reaction score
I'm not even gonna read the entire thread. That last play was not Lockettes fault. It wasn't Russels fault. Wasn't Bevell or carrols fault. That was just a hell of a play by their defender.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
They are not going to let Lockette go over a play.

If he ends up gone, it will be becasue they sure as hell have to go get a WR this year. Or two. And a TE. There are a limited number of spots for pass catchers, and he could end up the odd man out.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Lockette was the next leading WR in the Superbowl behind Matthews. He actually played quite well despite the last offensive play by the Seahawks. He had a better game than Kearse or Baldwin. That last play was one they could have used Norwood on but he was inactive.

ceej22

Reaction score
Hawks46":i9bf5sr6 said:
I have watched that play again, and I'll say this:

Yes, Lockette should've fought harder for that ball. Kearse also should've gotten off the line of scrimmage quicker and stronger. Both WRs half assed their routes. People say Wilson threw a bad throw, but really, it wasn't that bad. Sure, he could've hit Lockette dead center, but this is a Bang! Bang! play and Wilson is trying not to throw the ball behind Lockette.

Pete said they were running this play to waste a play. To be honest, it looked like both WRs knew that, and acted like it was a play destined not to go anywhere. The only person on that play that was giving 100% was the Patriots defender.

I'll still blame the play call. It stunk and the players knew it.

I believe Pete misspoke there. If they really just wanted to waste a play Wilson would have spiked it. So let's just let that one rest.

They are young 3rd/4th string WRs that perhaps got ahead of themselves there and their lack of effort/focus can be attributed to that fact. I believe they thought they were so confident they were about to win that they lost focus and ran terrible routes. Wilson gets blame here too. He needs to recognize instantly that Kearse doesn't get a clean break and place the ball to minimize the risk. Maybe he thought he was and Lockette's lack of effort towards the ball exaggerated how far he led him maybe not. Either way I think it was a tough lesson in Wilson's young career and he won't make that mistake again.

To address the OP, I believe Lockette's position on the team is largely dependent on who we draft or acquire in free agency at the WR position. I do not believe the team will cut him because of this one play. Baldwin, Kearse, and Richardson (depending on when he returns) are definitely ahead of him. Beyond that I think it depends on how Norwood, Matthews, and the new guys perform in camps.

The future is bright with this team. Had they won I'd be telling everyone how we are going to 3-pete. Still believe 100% they can win next year. They went up against a historically great team and came one play away from winning.

bjboywonder

Reaction score
Daytomann":35fcrprp said:
It was the wrong play...lockette, Kearse Baldwin lynch Dez Bryant Calvin Johnson Steve largent doesn't matter. You run it with lynch.
I agree with this^^^^^

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":289v7ysy said:
I really wonder about sports fans and how they come to their logical conclusions at times. Every one here is an expert when they have the benefit of hindsight.

That play was NOT a risky play.

That slant play was run in the NFL this year a total of 66 times. Does anyone here know how many times it was picked off by the defensive team?

Yes. A grand total of ONE time...the one time being in Super Bowl 49 on Sunday. Prior to that no quarterback threw an interception with that play call.

When playing for the win at the 1-yard line it's flat out labeled "an assinine pass play". Sorry. And as was stated many times, it was poorly executed to boot. A bad throw by Russell especially.

It's the superbowl. You're the Seattle Seahawks. You've just made an amazing scramble to the 1-yrd line for the win. YOU PLAY TO WIN, that includes trust in your O and D. You don't play for the odds 20 or less seconds and a Pats answer.

I was at the superbowl, section 412. Ya know what? I'm ok with all of it. You know why? That is the game of football. There's a winner, there's a loser. We didn't play to win there, so we lost.

We had a great year, a great prev SB win to boot. It was a close battle for your SB.I love our Hawks. We blew it there but I'm ok with saying that. It has no bearing on how I see my team overall.
I admit I'm a bit happier knowing we beat ourselves, the Pats didn't necessarily beat us.

But dancing around the pass playcall, blaming Kearse, blaming Lockette (while overlooking Russ's throw and decision). Save it.

*and yes, I feel Marshawn should've been given the 2nd down chance. The stars were aligned. Dumb decisions galore. First step is admitting.

swagcity21

Reaction score
what was wrong with that play is our offense tendency in that situation. we've run that play before with no success. but the X-factor of that play, and I hate to say it was BBrowner. He read that play from the moment they lined up. You could see browner almost take kearse away from the play so Butler did not have to go around him.

Even if that play had a chance to be successful the fact that they tried it on Browner automatically killed the play.

Lockette needs to polish his route running abilities but I still believe he can turn into a legit wideout. I will continue to say it, the answer to WR is right in front of us. I believed in C. Matthews the moment he signed with us last offseason. I still Believe we have the tools to win it all again next year. but I question how much trust the offense will have in Bevell after he threw the bus at Lockette.