LOL @ Cowherd calling everyone morons

the ditch

Reaction score
Cowherd is a professional troll just like Skip Bayless they exist solely to piss off 50% of the people enough to get them to listen to hate them, then get X% of people to listen because they like their extreme views. I wouldn't take anything he says to be what he truly thinks the same way I don't with Skip, once you realise that it can be fairly funny to tune in every now and then.

rideaducati

Reaction score
OrFan":3t9tm01b said:
Colon Cowturd shouldn't have a job. If we were all as bad at the jobs we do in life as he is, our country would be a barren wasteland with nothing worthwhile to show. Why do people like him stay employed? He seriously has no knowledge of the things he talks about.

I think Cowherd is the best in the business. It's one thing to disagree with him, but he knows what he is talking about.

As far as Harbaugh not being able to recruit, I agree but he didn't mean HARBAUGH can't recruit, he meant that the midwestern schools can't get the best recruits anymore. The schools with the better weather are getting the best recruits.

kearly

Reaction score
Watt is amazing. He is making a strong case as the best defensive player in the history of the league right now.

But he is no MVP. The NFC South has been among the worst divisions in history each of the last two years, and Watt's dominance lifted the Texans to an 11-21 record during that stretch. Winning one out of three games, playing a cakewalk schedule. For as amazing as he is, there is only so much value a single defensive player can add. Compare his team's record to Andrew Luck's, who plays in the same terrible division on a flawed team. Andrew Luck isn't even in the MVP discussion, but he has likely added at least twice as many wins to his team as Watt has.

That's not to say I'm blaming Watt for the losses, just pointing out that there is only so much that a defensive player can do to push his team towards a win. It's unfair to Watt, but he is basically competing for what is essentially a QB's award.

Cowherd is way off on Michigan though. He's embarrassing himself with that take. Harbaugh had his introductory Michigan press conference this morning.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kearly":2bcrpjt1 said:
Watt is amazing. He is making a strong case as the best defensive player in the history of the league right now.

But he is no MVP. The NFC South has been among the worst divisions in history each of the last two years, and Watt's dominance lifted the Texans to an 11-21 record during that stretch. Winning one out of three games, playing a cakewalk schedule. For as amazing as he is, there is only so much value a single defensive player can add. Compare his team's record to Andrew Luck's, who plays in the same terrible division on a flawed team. Andrew Luck isn't even in the MVP discussion, but he has likely added at least twice as many wins to his team as Watt has.

It's unfair to Watt, but he is basically competing for what is essentially a QB's award..

I heard a great comment this morning on the radio, not sure who said it. But they said if you were to put Rodgers on the Texans, they'd be in the playoffs now........but if you put Watt on the Packers with no Rodgers, no way in hell they make the playoffs.

/discussion

Rat

Reaction score
I like Cowherd for the most part. He's one of the most articulate guys out there, and frequently brings fresh views to a debate.

On the flip side, I get a little annoyed with his tendency to play Devil's Advocate. A lot of times, he just seems to do it for the sake of being contrarian. Also, while he's intelligent, I don't get the idea that he has hardcore knowledge of the teams he talks about. If you picked an NFL team at random, I'm guessing Cowherd couldn't tell you more than a dozen or so guys who play for them.

As for the Watt debate, I think he's as good a choice for MVP as anyone else. People take the V in MVP way too literally.

Smellyman

Reaction score
He is very good at what he does. It is tough to pull off solo talk sports radio. You're going to end up saying a lot that make people angry/annoyed.

Whoever compared him to Skip Bayless couldn't be more wrong.

taco40

Reaction score
el capitan":2izdzzjx said:
Trrrroy":2izdzzjx said:
I actually agree with him that watt is not mvp material, though I wouldn't call others morons for disagreeing. Watt isn't as valuable to his team as rodgers, peyton, luck, or romo are to theirs, and it's not close. It's not his fault, just the reality that the positional value of QB is higher than DE.

Although technically the award is for most valuable it should go to the most dominant player, the player who had the best overall season regardless of his position or its effect on his teams record. This year that player is JJ Watt, and it isn't even close. The guy had 20.5 sacks, 1 interception (returned 80 yards for a touchdown), 4 forced fumbles, 5 fumble recoveries (one returned for a touchdown) and a safety. And that's just on Defense, he also had three receptions on Offense all of them touchdowns. That's 5 TD's and a safety from a Defensive End, not to mention he finished only two sacks off the single season record.
According to some power rankings, the Texans rate about a #12 to #14 out of 32 teams. That's about the upper middle third of all teams. What would they have been rated without him? 20 or 21? That's still in the middle third albeit on the low end.
His team was second in their division, what would they have been without him? Second, no doubt. Even if they lose 5 more games, they still end up tied with or a game above Jacksonville.
He had 59 solo and assisted tackles combined, that's two less than Monti Te'o, whose only claim to fame is surviving the late Lennay Catfish Kekua. (I suppose you could add running second in the voting for the Heisman losing to a freshman quarterback.)
Yes, he was the star of a TV commercial and 20 sacks is phenomenal. But one way to measure for the MVP is how would a championship caliber team have done without him. The problem is that he's championship caliber, but his team wasn't and isn't. That's what the all-pro label is all about. Which players were downright incredible regardless of the team they played on. The MVP doesn't fit the bill in this case.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
mikeak":7iyom4qx said:
OrFan":7iyom4qx said:
Colon Cowturd shouldn't have a job. If we were all as bad at the job do in life as he is, our country would be a barren wasteland with nothing worthwhile to show. Why do people like him stay employed? He seriously has no knowledge of the things he talks about.

And we couldn't disagree more

He says what he thinks, is straightforward and admits when he is wrong. He picks a side which makes everyone interpret him as he dislikes the other side. Example when he said Rose shouldn't be the MVP in the NBA. Didn't mean he didn't like Rose but that is how everyone hears things these days.

I also didn't hear him use the word moron. OP - did he actually say that or is that an interpretation? I definately heard him saying he thought there was no way Harbaugh was going and he thought he would stay in the bay area and go to Oakland instead. Didn't hear the moron word used....

I respect his opinions most of the time because he isn't afraid to go against the grain, but he did use the word "Moron" several times and I found it very arrogant and idiotic.

I love his "Where Colin was wrong, where Colin was right segment but I think his lst success has gone to his head.

2 years ago he was nailing it on his blazing five. His picks would move the Vegas line 2 points. But since then he come back to earth which is why I find it hard to understand his recent arrogance.

I don't care how successful a radio host is they should never use the word moron, let alone denigrate a fan base and call them delusional.

trharder

Reaction score
rideaducati":1ys344ht said:
I think Cowherd is the best in the business. It's one thing to disagree with him, but he knows what he is talking about.
I can see why some people dislike Cowherd, but I don't mind him. I would still listen to him if he came on locally at a decent time. What I do hate is when every new young buck, former producer, turned wannabe sports talk host, tries to emulate Cowherd by belittling their audience. I tune in to hear about sports. I don't care that you are smarter than some of the people who send in silly texts to your show. Quit generalizing. Quit arguing with straw men.

kearly

Reaction score
Rat":3v80r4zr said:
As for the Watt debate, I think he's as good a choice for MVP as anyone else. People take the V in MVP way too literally.

By that logic, a great kicker or punter could win the award. Positional value does, and should, factor into the award.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":1qq64dze said:
Rat":1qq64dze said:

By that logic, a great kicker or punter could win the award. Positional value does, and should, factor into the award.

At what point, however, do we compare positional value to like to get a better award? Is Rodgers' year that much above Luck or Manning by the numbers? To pilfer a Pixar line: If every QB is special, no one is.

I suppose it doesn't matter much, though. The MVP award winner is essentially trivia at this point.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
kearly":3vvqn9ru said:
Rat":3vvqn9ru said:

What really confuses me with these awards is you have a Defense MVP, Offense MVP, and the NFL MVP. I would figure that the NFL MVP would be either the winner of the offense or defense MVP reward since they are suppose to be the most valuable for their side of the ball. Usually the NFL Winner is the Offense MVP but at recently as 2011 Bree's won the Offense MVP yet Rogers won the NFL MVP. If Rogers was considered the league MVP then why wasn't he considered the number 1 Offense MVP too?

I am surprised they don't just pick the MVP's of both sides of the ball then have another vote between those 2 to determine who gets the league wide MVP award. Guess that would require to much work from the sports writers and they would risk having the winners leaked ahead of time since they vote at the end of the regular season but its not revealed until right before the Super Bowl.

Btw for what its worth a kicker has won the MVP. Mark Moseley in 1982 with the Redskins, mind you it was the strike shortened season.