What is going on with Wilson? Has he become distracted?

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I think Wilson is just being Wilson. He’s a good QB but nothing special. Won’t win a Super Bowl unless he has a elite defense and running game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scorpion05

Reaction score
12thmanNY":awwp76gb said:
I think Wilson is just being Wilson. He’s a good QB but nothing special. Won’t win a Super Bowl unless he has a elite defense and running game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remind me which team won a Super Bowl without a great defense, running game, and/or O-line again?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Most of these points are way off base:

1. Wilson is nowhere near as cocky as Rodgers, Mahomes, or Brady. Mahomes even posted on Twitter when he finished at number 4, instead of number 1 in the Top 100. If Russ did that you’d all accuse him of being cocky.

2. Literally no offense succeeds consistently without some semblance of balance or great O-line and offensive scheme. The Chiefs have Andy Reid, arguably the best passing game coordinator/screen play coordinator of all time. No one schemes screens better than Andy Reid, and Mahomes has never had a shaky O-line despite holding onto the ball. And even then, Mahomes doesn’t win that Super Bowl without Williams who SHOULD have won MVP.

3. Rodgers does a weekly interview on the Pat McAfee show along with more commercials than Russ. Brady has his own branding and stuff going on. This double standard held towards Wilson needs to stop. You all want him to be a quiet church boy that needs to only serve the Seahawks and only the Seahawks. No other good QB in the league is held to that standard

4. Rodgers and Brady used to literally AVOID Sherman. No one used to throw Deion Sanders’ way. Claiming you’re a Russ fan to somehow buffer these silly critiques is off putting. If you were trying to be even remotely fair to Russ, you would acknowledge that context. And Russ has had zero real chemistry with Olsen so far. The timing is off or Olsen is over the hill. I’ll say Olsen.

The Seahawks are the ONLY 6-3 or better team asking their QB to do it all. And you all crap on Russ. Suggesting he’s not good enough, not elite enough compared to QBs who have LITERALLY had worst career years in interceptions.

And that’s the gross and unfortunate part. I’ve known it for sometime, but the Seahawks fan base has always had a transactional relationship with Russ. I don’t see the same kind of love, belief, and support for Russell that I’ve seen Packers fans show to Rodgers, and Chiefs fans have shown to Mahomes. They love these Quarterbacks almost to a fault while a significant portion of this fan base have always been ready to nitpick at Russ unless he’s playing undeniably well. I’ve seen this before...McNabb with the Eagles. Never received the unconditional fan adoration he deserved despite his success. Russ has earned more respect than what I am seeing on here.

knownone

Reaction score
I mean, the obvious answer is nothing is going on with Wilson. In hindsight, from a defensive perspective, we had a pretty weak schedule early on, and our success inflated some peoples expectations of what Russ could do this season. It happens. Russ is a human...

Not to be overly pragmatic, but we've seen what Russell looks like when he doesn't have a running game and teams can pressure him while containing him in the pocket, and not only is it not pretty, but it's also not new. So I find myself confused when some people act as if Russell has never had a poor performance. Furthermore, on the rare occasions that Russell does eff up, he tends to do so spectacularly. This, mind you, is also not new. We're good for at least 10 or so head-scratchingly bad plays per year.

I guess what I am getting at is this, a lot of people thought that the coaching staff was holding Russ back, and that Russ was this budding Mahomes being allowed to wither in the darkness of some ancient run first offensive scheme. Those same people are now being forced to reckon with the possibility that Russ is not infallible and that there can be draw backs to "letting Russ cook".

Ultimately though, our team has issues and it's not all on Russ, or the defense, or the coaches, or even injuries. It's a team game. And everyone needs to do better, or the season will be a wasted opportunity.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is funny. Because that is exactly what is happening.

The other players in the NFL, who know better, voted him #2 overall.

Wilson is great. And has been. He will be first ballot HoF.

When he has a bad game, we lose. When he has a great game we sometimes lose. But when he has a bad game we look terrible.

Wilson has had to overcome imbalanced rosters and substandard coaching since before the LOB left. Most of his career Pete has held him back. This year, Pete is again a decrepit dinosaur that is making choices squandering a great QB.

Pete has been a lead weight dragging Wilson down for years. Nothing is 'wrong' with Wilson, he is just not immortal. He is getting hammered and hit, while given objectively stupid game plans to work with.

Of course he is worn out. Is this shocking?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":8pejgnv1 said:

When he has a bad game, we lose. When he has a great game we sometimes lose. But when he has a bad game we look terrible.

Wilson has had to overcome imbalanced rosters and substandard coaching since before the LOB left. Most of his career Pete has held him back. This year, Pete is again a decrepit dinosaur that is making choices squandering a great QB.

Pete has been a lead weight dragging Wilson down for years. Nothing is 'wrong' with Wilson, he is just not immortal. He is getting hammered and hit, while given objectively stupid game plans to work with.

Or maybe our highest player could take a pay cut so we can get defensive help.

But he wont. And we will struggle like most teams who pay quarterbacks to have complete team.

See how easy it is to point blame?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Why take a paycut to get defensive help?

You think it would matter?

We got a top CB and stud safety. Traded for a decent FS last year.

Maybe the issue is less the players and more that Carroll is a gameday liability.

Maybe we could bring in the 2nd coming of LT and our DC is so incompetent it would not matter.

Has bringing in high cost players helped so far? Why would Wilson want to cut his pay when he carries the team, in order to pay for players that will not help because our FO will squander the money on bad choices anyway?

When this many players seem to fall off a cliff in terms of effectiveness, it is usually an issue with the system and the people running it than the players.

This is Pete doing what Pete does, continuing to be loyal to an incompetent coordinator while wasting yet another year of Wilson being an exceptional QB.

John63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":265vo90k said:
Why take a paycut to get defensive help?

You think it would matter?

We got a top CB and stud safety. Traded for a decent FS last year.

Maybe the issue is less the players and more that Carroll is a gameday liability.

Maybe we could bring in the 2nd coming of LT and our DC is so incompetent it would not matter.

Has bringing in high cost players helped so far? Why would Wilson want to cut his pay when he carries the team, in order to pay for players that will not help because our FO will squander the money on bad choices anyway?

When this many players seem to fall off a cliff in terms of effectiveness, it is usually an issue with the system and the people running it than the players.

This is Pete doing what Pete does, continuing to be loyal to an incompetent coordinator while wasting yet another year of Wilson being an exceptional QB.

What he said. Look go back and look at games 1-5. Then games 6 to now. If you do you will notice some changes.

Games 1-5

1. Screen game
2. Quick passing game
3. Uptempo, snapping the ball at varying times.
4. Unpredictability
5. Moving the pocket
6. Ruas running earlier

Those 6 things that were cornerstone of that game 1-5 offense went away. In its place

games 6-9

1 long developing plays
2. Predictable
3. Snapping the ball with 5 or less seconds left most of the times.
4. Stagnant pocket

Thats the difference we went back to same old same old.

getnasty

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2zwwh5j0 said:

What head coach with this team would have done better outside of BB? Just because we don't win a SB every year and go undefeated doesn't mean Pete has held Russell or this team back.

John63

Reaction score
getnasty":2km9fb33 said:
TwistedHusky":2km9fb33 said:

What head coach with this team would have done better outside of BB? Just because we don't win a SB every year and go undefeated doesn't mean Pete has held Russell or this team back.

Does not mean PC has not either. I can think of a few HCs who would have done more. Andy Reid for one, Bellechik for another just to name 3.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Before the game with the Rams, it was noted after Wilson has bad games, he doesn’t have a following bad game.

Boy, were they wrong.

I think with the way the team is built right now, you should not be surprised if Wilson continues to have a bad game against the Cards on Thursday.

This let “Russ cook” mentality may have gone to Wilson’s head and he believes he is invincible.

A humble Wilson is the best Wilson but the MVP race he was on, may have led him to believe he can live with mistakes so throwing a few interceptions will not hurt him.

I don’t know.

But this is definitely not the same hungry, be smart let the game come to you and then make plays Wilson.

He’s forcing to make plays and not at the right opportune time and it is backfiring.

themunn

Reaction score
John63":fw1s01b3 said:
Does not mean PC has not either. I can think of a few HCs who would have done more. Andy Reid for one, Bellechik for another just to name 3.

Andy Reid has been a perennial play-off loser his career, far worse than Carroll.

In fact, between 2010 and 2018 he was 2-6 in playoff games, before finally winning the Superbowl last year (and hey, it took the Niners shitting the bed in the 4th quarter to do that).

Bill Belichick is the only coach who has been better than Carroll these last 10 years, and even he looks mortal without Tom Brady

TheLegendOfBoom":fw1s01b3 said:
Before the game with the Rams, it was noted after Wilson has bad games, he doesn’t have a following bad game.

Sure, he's 32-8 (now 32-9) after a loss. That means he usually doesn't have another bad game. But sometimes he does. In 2017 I can remember him having a crap game against the Jags then an even worse game against the Rams. But what it wasn't was a sign that he's a bad QB. It's unusual that he had 3 bad games in 4 weeks, but the skills that got him to throw 28 TDs passes by midseason haven't suddenly disappeared.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I really hope Russ has one of those lights out, ** you kind of games we have seen Brady and Rodgers etc have when people start questioning them. We'll need it

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. Hopefully the media and others will continue to tell him what he CAN'T do. An angry Russ is a dangerous Russ. And if you don't think he gets plenty p.o'd out there, you haven't been watching.
Nobody wants to win more than that guy.

John63

Reaction score
themunn":3q3j1lkx said:
John63":3q3j1lkx said:

Andy Reid has been a perennial play-off loser his career, far worse than Carroll.

In fact, between 2010 and 2018 he was 2-6 in playoff games, before finally winning the Superbowl last year (and hey, it took the Niners $h!t the bed in the 4th quarter to do that).

Bill Belichick is the only coach who has been better than Carroll these last 10 years, and even he looks mortal without Tom Brady

TheLegendOfBoom":3q3j1lkx said:

Sure, he's 32-8 (now 32-9) after a loss. That means he usually doesn't have another bad game. But sometimes he does. In 2017 I can remember him having a crap game against the Jags then an even worse game against the Rams. But what it wasn't was a sign that he's a bad QB. It's unusual that he had 3 bad games in 4 weeks, but the skills that got him to throw 28 TDs passes by midseason haven't suddenly disappeared.

Hmm so Reid has same numbe rof wins as PC. The differnce is Reid knwos what to do with a top QB PC does not.

John63

Reaction score
iigakusei":214u14yp said:
https://people.com/style/ciara-and-russell-wilson-launch-collaborative-perfume-the-rc-fragrance-duo/

Good for them does not mean it is distractinghim from Football.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
8 plus years, and people still want to act like he isn't a focused football player.
This horse been dead for a long time...…...

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":17fw9rvw said:
8 plus years, and people still want to act like he isn't a focused football player.
This horse been dead for a long time...…...

it should be but his poor play has brought back out the doubters and haters like a shark smelling blood. so here we go again.