Long developing plays

SchadyHawk

Reaction score
I think the biggest issue on the offensive side of the ball was that every throw seemed to be a long developing routes on play action.. Seemed like we would get behind the sticks and then decide to throw quick 6 yard hits that would fall short. Throw more passes like that on first down and then run the ball on a second a short instead of running run, run, pass. I know Pete has said he doesn’t like to dink and dunk but some of this quick strikes to DK and Dissly went for 10+ yards.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I've been pounding this table for a long time. There are two gameplans you usually see from Seattle - those designed to protect the OL and those that aren't. Some of the most masterful ones from Bevell included the Eagles game in 2017 and the Patriots game in 2016. The Eagles one was my favorite - quick throws, slants and crossers, helping the OL by discouraging blitzes and forcing the defenders to hang back in coverage a bit more. It was a sit-up-and-notice departure from the usual fare.

The bad ones included the games immediately after both of those. You could tell right from the first drive that Wilson had no quick options or hot routes in the plan. It was stand, hold, and hope for the deep bomb again. We lost both.

Today was the latter. I'm not even going to bother speculating on the reason at this point. I'm just glad they won.

BamKam

Reaction score
Well this O Line was suppose to be a “top 5 unit”. LOL!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm retracting my earlier post kind of, because I actually went and watched the plays in further detail. There were a LOT of slants in that game, more than the one or two I'm used to seeing, and three successful (10+ yards) RB screens as well. I don't agree with the OP's assertion that it was all long-developing plays anymore.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade nailed it in one of his earlier posts. They need to do a lot more RO bootleg passes.
See the TD pass to Lockett as exhibit A.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
BamKam":27yqw8lm said:
Well this O Line was suppose to be a “top 5 unit”. LOL!

And Geno Atkins & the Bengals Defensive front was obviously WAYYYY better than advertised, or anticipated ...This was a good lesson for our Taking For Granted Offensive Linemen, and their Coaches.

chris98251

Reaction score
Knock on Bengals is their secondary and LB's, not their D line which is really good.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'm not sure who overlooked their line. It's probably the best line we will face this year. I do think their LBs are better than advertised. Their secondary, OTOH.

This was trial by fire for our o-line. I thought they would be better at opening some holes in the running game, but expected Russ to be running for his life on the passing plays.

He torched their secondary when he had time.

We have some much more balanced defenses coming up on the schedule, but should be seeing much better looking protection, and more production from Russ.