Luke Willson excited about free agency

Tical21

Reaction score
If they re-sign him, it will show me that they value good guys over good players, they can't cultivate talent, and they are out of touch.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":3upnpplu said:
I suspect Luke might have a little unrealistic expectations. He's not a star by any stretch of the imagination and the simple fact is in this league stars get paid, everybody else gets something approaching the minimum. I think Luke should get ready for disappointment.
Luke Willson has been misused.... He has good speed....Can you imagine him playing for a team that uses him, OR GRAHAM in THE RIGHT WAY?......................"Bird In The Hand"........Vannette?...Does he have Willson's speed OR blocking acumen?......Connection Experience with Russell Wilson??

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Seafan":fv1jpklq said:
Hawks won't re-sign him. Could you imagine him with the Pats?
He would be a great pickup for them. They wouldn't pay him big bucks but would get great value out of him.

It would get him closer to home, more money than Seattle, all on a winning team, more targets and TD'S.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
As fans we have to come to grips with the reality that we can't keep everyone and I under no circumstances think he's necessary to keep.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seymour":1xd5igrt said:
HawkGA":1xd5igrt said:
I suspect Luke might have a little unrealistic expectations. He's not a star by any stretch of the imagination and the simple fact is in this league stars get paid, everybody else gets something approaching the minimum. I think Luke should get ready for disappointment.

Not even close to true in this case. After the top 10 TE group ($7.5M and up), there are 30 other tight ends earning between $2M and $7.5M.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/tight-end/

Also, keep in mind that Willson is near top 5 fastest tight ends in the NFL. Faster than Jimmy and Gronk for sure. Of course, Bevell doesn't use that much but that is another ongoing story.

Good post. Willson likely has more value to other teams than how we use him.

As blocker, he's average. Not strong at the point of attack, not good at all at pass blocking and whiffs on about half of his cut blocks. There are times when he does throw a good block....maybe he's above average for the way the league is going.

That said, he's a solid 4.5 guy and can stretch the field. His hands have gotten better, and I'd bet he gets better production from a team that will split him out wide more often.

We can also find lots more TE's like him in the draft. He's not worth 4 million to us, but he will be to someone.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2gt0822z said:
I'd really like to see Luke back, if possible. He has very good hands.

We are talking about the Willson with two LL's right?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":hai6pz4x said:
Siouxhawk":hai6pz4x said:

Who else? He's been a dependable pass catcher the past couple of years. The 2-point catch against the Packers will be the one I'll always remember.

2_0_6

Reaction score
While that play will be remembered forever, he has had more than his fair share of drops.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I have trouble seeing any team getting very excited about him. His numbers are not impressive, he has his share of concentration drops every season, and his blocking (while improved) is still mediocre. My guess is he has set the bar too high. The longer he is available, the less interest there will be. If we can bring him back cheap, I am for it. Otherwise, good luck to him.

chet380

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":onxwyvsw said:
Hawk_Nation":onxwyvsw said:
Siouxhawk":onxwyvsw said:

Who else? He's been a dependable pass catcher the past couple of years. The 2-point catch against the Packers will be the one I'll always remember.
That and several spectacular TD receptions that won us games.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Not saying this is the case, but does anyone see shades of Delanie Walker in Luke Wilson?

He's a receiving TE who isn't much of a blocker and struggles with his hands sometimes, but is stuck as the #2 on what is often a run first team, and maybe needs to go somewhere else to have his skill set fully utilized?

Not saying he has the talent of Walker, but from his comments (which it make it pretty clear he's not too interested in sticking around and was maybe a little insulted by the offer) it seems like HE THINKS he's the next Delanie Walker. :lol:

mikeak

Reaction score
My issue is his feedback on how the "offer" was conveyed. It is one thing to say it wasn't enough but he said "because it was not extremely official"

This is after we have found out that Tate didn't even receive his offer to which PC said something to the effect of poor communication

These guys played through their contract with Seattle. They laid it out on the field. They deserve a proper sit down with the FO and the offer being clearly communicated. It is not a FA signing off the street that you don't know. You should at a minimum treat them with the right respect and make sure they understand what the offer is. It can be low and you justify it but you get it across. If they can't come in you do it over the phone. I am getting the feeling that some of this is just handled way to informal for the non top-tier guys

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":3gg7aso8 said:
My issue is his feedback on how the "offer" was conveyed. It is one thing to say it wasn't enough but he said "because it was not extremely official"

This is after we have found out that Tate didn't even receive his offer to which PC said something to the effect of poor communication

These guys played through their contract with Seattle. They laid it out on the field. They deserve a proper sit down with the FO and the offer being clearly communicated. It is not a FA signing off the street that you don't know. You should at a minimum treat them with the right respect and make sure they understand what the offer is. It can be low and you justify it but you get it across. If they can't come in you do it over the phone. I am getting the feeling that some of this is just handled way to informal for the non top-tier guys
If that's the only time they'll have communications with him, I completely support your point. But perhaps there's more of a standard formal visit to come and this was a misunderstanding on Luke's or his agent's part. I always thought most of this type of work comes in the weeks following the Super Bowl.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Luke had a higher snap count over the last month than did Jimmy. That may not mean anything, but this might not be as cut and dry as the general knee jerk.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":zfbg5bej said:
He probably ends up a Lion...
Since it's right by his hometown? Pair him with Ebron? Could work.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3rpbxzsi said:
vin.couve12":3rpbxzsi said:
He probably ends up a Lion...
Since it's right by his hometown? Pair him with Ebron? Could work.

He'll either be a; Lion (They seems to like collecting our guys), Jet (They need Offensive weapons), Falcon (Dan Quinn connections), or Dolphin (They need Offensive weapons).

Two of these teams have quality starters (Ryan, Stafford) and the other has an average (Tannehill). The Jets maybe the odd man out unless they find themselves a quarterback. However, one of the new coach hires may be looking at him to help rebuild whatever team they want in their image, so a team like the Jags or Chargers could be good fits.

I keep thinking if he does in fact leave, he's going south whether to Jacksonville, Miami, or Atlanta. Who knows though, the almighty dollar shall decide.

Latest posts