Luke Willson excited about free agency

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I'll miss that crazy Canadian. He just seemed kind of goofy at times, which I like. I'm guessing he does pretty well with the ladies, too, especially when he had that long hair flowing.

mikeak

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3g8uordb said:
mikeak":3g8uordb said:
My issue is his feedback on how the "offer" was conveyed. It is one thing to say it wasn't enough but he said "because it was not extremely official"

This is after we have found out that Tate didn't even receive his offer to which PC said something to the effect of poor communication

These guys played through their contract with Seattle. They laid it out on the field. They deserve a proper sit down with the FO and the offer being clearly communicated. It is not a FA signing off the street that you don't know. You should at a minimum treat them with the right respect and make sure they understand what the offer is. It can be low and you justify it but you get it across. If they can't come in you do it over the phone. I am getting the feeling that some of this is just handled way to informal for the non top-tier guys
If that's the only time they'll have communications with him, I completely support your point. But perhaps there's more of a standard formal visit to come and this was a misunderstanding on Luke's or his agent's part. I always thought most of this type of work comes in the weeks following the Super Bowl.

Yes the misunderstanding could be on both sides but I do feel that PC is kind of loose with how he talks to the media sometimes not thinking about the full picture (Sherman injury) and if they are just vaguely talking about something but haven't sat down then don't talk to the media about having offered something........

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":cyu5xb6n said:
I'll miss that crazy Canadian. He just seemed kind of goofy at times, which I like. I'm guessing he does pretty well with the ladies, too, especially when he had that long hair flowing.

It is quite majestic.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":1l4q8gx9 said:
Siouxhawk":1l4q8gx9 said:
mikeak":1l4q8gx9 said:
My issue is his feedback on how the "offer" was conveyed. It is one thing to say it wasn't enough but he said "because it was not extremely official"

This is after we have found out that Tate didn't even receive his offer to which PC said something to the effect of poor communication

These guys played through their contract with Seattle. They laid it out on the field. They deserve a proper sit down with the FO and the offer being clearly communicated. It is not a FA signing off the street that you don't know. You should at a minimum treat them with the right respect and make sure they understand what the offer is. It can be low and you justify it but you get it across. If they can't come in you do it over the phone. I am getting the feeling that some of this is just handled way to informal for the non top-tier guys
If that's the only time they'll have communications with him, I completely support your point. But perhaps there's more of a standard formal visit to come and this was a misunderstanding on Luke's or his agent's part. I always thought most of this type of work comes in the weeks following the Super Bowl.

Yes the misunderstanding could be on both sides but I do feel that PC is kind of loose with how he talks to the media sometimes not thinking about the full picture (Sherman injury) and if they are just vaguely talking about something but haven't sat down then don't talk to the media about having offered something........
Gotcha Mike. Hey, would we get draft pick compensation for losing Luke in free agency?

lukerguy

Reaction score
I think when we took Vennett as a blocking TE it spelled the end of Willson. I love the guy and we got tremendous value for a few years!

Vance Macdonald made Luke Willson a very rich man:)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lukerguy":39x3lcod said:
I think when we took Vennett as a blocking TE it spelled the end of Willson. I love the guy and we got tremendous value for a few years!

Vance Macdonald made Luke Willson a very rich man:)

This has always been Willson's problem, he's a tweener.

He's not really a blocking TE, and he's not really a true pass catching TE that you can give 30 snaps a game either.

But he's busted his ass doing anything and everything that was asked of him, and Pete loves those type of players. But not at free agent TE money. Thus Luke being excited about testing the market.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Oh, this also sheds some light on what we're doing with Graham, trying to keep him.

If we weren't going to try and extend Graham, my guess is we'd be trying to sign Willson to at least keep for insurance and depth.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hold no bad feelings towards Willson, but if we re-signed him I'd be ticked.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":mxtqmmar said:
I'd really like to see Luke back, if possible. He has very good hands, can help out on blocking and is one of those guys who seems to come up clutch when we need him.

You're kidding, right? If the guy is touched with one finger within a second or two of getting his hands on the ball, he loses it. Unless he's wide open, the chances of him securing it is slim. The guy is timid and that is putting it mildly.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Pie Romania":27ie7y9u said:
Siouxhawk":27ie7y9u said:
I'd really like to see Luke back, if possible. He has very good hands, can help out on blocking and is one of those guys who seems to come up clutch when we need him.

You're kidding, right? If the guy is touched with one finger within a second or two of getting his hands on the ball, he loses it. Unless he's wide open, the chances of him securing it is slim. The guy is timid and that is putting it mildly.
He made like 12 catches in a row when he came back from his injury earlier this year. I might be wrong, but it seems like many of his catches went for a first down.

London12

Reaction score
A shame but it won't be a great loss. All the best to him if (when) he moves on for the $.

ivotuk

Reaction score
What did Pete say "in public" that has him upset?

And I don't trust agents, they know he can get more elsewhere and Luke isn't so good that he's going to earn an agent money post his second contract.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Luke will earn less from the Seahawks than he will get elsewhere. Seahawks have so many weapons that sometimes the TE gets forgotten. It's just the philosophy. Miller had better receiving numbers with the Raiders before he came to Seattle. It's Pete's way.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawkfan68":bh2ibjm8 said:
Luke will earn less from the Seahawks than he will get elsewhere. Seahawks have so many weapons that sometimes the TE gets forgotten. It's just the philosophy. Miller had better receiving numbers with the Raiders before he came to Seattle. It's Pete's way.
He's kind of played quite a bit of that Y position where a jack of all trades is more valued to the running game and an outlet than a key pass catching role. He basically took over for Miller. It's not the prettiest role on the offense. John Lynch pointed out that he thought his role after getting healthy was a big part of the return to the run game. I'd say that I thought Reece and the I Form/Strong/Weak formations also helped quite a bit, but he's got value as an all around TE and also makes basically every team faster on offense. Those same reasons are probably why he was so high in snap counts down the latter stretch.

I guess that said, if keeping Willson means emphasis on the run game stays, then I'm all for it. Our 60% pass ratio just didn't work regardless of personnel.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Thank you Mike.

I think some players are overly sensitive and should take Pete's comments with a grain of salt. The man is juggling a huge staff of coaches, about 70 players, and a demanding media.

If he has Concerns about the contract offered he should get in touch with the GM and tell him "This is what I'm looking for."

Golden Tate acted like a baby and was insulted by the first offer so that he never counter offered, just went right to Detroit and says said "I'll take it." Then went on about how he worked so hard to help bring their first Super Bowl to Seattle.

Sure Golden, in the final year of your contract. Prior to that you weren't running proper routes, getting penalties for show boating, and pissing off Hasselbeck because you would drag your feet on the way to the huddle.

I Luke, and I hope he sticks here, but I'll understand if he gets a big contract elsewhere. But he can't place a lot in what Pete is saying at the end of the year about contracts. I doubt he's that involved. Probably just gives JS some rough guidelines and let's him figure out the rest.