Major changes to Pro Bowl

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Wow, this is wild. I don't know what to think.

Adam Schefter
NFL eliminated traditional AFC-NFC Pro Bowl matchup; will be replaced with Pro-Bowl fantasy-like draft, per ESPN sources.

Adam Schefter
No more kickoffs in Pro Bowl. Rosters will consist of 43 players per squad. Game will be played Jan 26 in Honolulu.

Adam Schefter
Now players will be assigned to teams through the Pro Bowl Draft (really). Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders will be draft captains.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2u7kg994 said:
Hopefully they bring back the skills competition!
I would LOVE that. There are a ton of creative things that could be done. Well, the NFL has already succeeded for this year; I am now looking forward to watching the Pro Bowl this January.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
SacHawk2.0":30qq137w said:
Hopefully they bring back the skills competition!

True. I loved the Quarterback Club stuff. I don't think they do that anymore.

Re: The original plan for changing the Pro Bowl, that is a step in the right direction. In fact, they should do this for baseball and hockey too. If I watched the NBA, I would promote this for their all-star game as well. Watching a butthurt Kobe sneak glares at LeBron for choosing James Harden over him with his third pick would ALMOST make it worth watching anything to do with the NBA. Almost.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Could be interesting for sure. Especially if some players get pissed about being 'snubbed' with their draft position.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I appreciate that they're trying to stir it up and generate more interest. I don't know how the majority of NFL fans feel, but I just want the skills competitions back. They were more entertaining than any pro-bowl I can remember watching. Plus I really like seeing how players stack up to other players that are thought to be elite (let's get real - it's the popularity bowl) in terms of athletic ability and completing certain obstacles/drills.

It's very interesting that two non-current players will be doing the draft and not the selected pro-bowl coaches. They are just trying to grab the attention of major fan bases in SF and Dallas by using Rice and Sanders, I think.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Couple more details from USAToday
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... t/2604163/

— Every quarter will end with a two-minute warning and change of possession to promote more quick-strike drives (teams will not be allowed to sit on the ball since the clock will stop on any play that doesn't gain positive yardage inside two minutes)

— Kick returners will be replaced by an extra defensive back on each 43-man roster

— Cover 2 and press coverage will now be allowed; only man-to-man coverage was allowed in the past, goal-line situations notwithstanding

JSeahawks

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1d8387np said:
One thing that would ruin this is if Jerry Rice sits and picks a bunch of 49ers.

From what I understood the pro bowl voting will remain the same, then once the probowlers are announced the Pro Bowl draft will consist of those players. I don't think Jerry Rice just gets to randomly choose his squad.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
This doesn't even sound like there going to play football. I thought the problem with the pro bowl was how they played the game. I don't remember people complaining they were not going to watch the game because of who was on each of the teams. No more pro bowl kick off returners or gunners that's really cool.I guess they don't need to be recognized. While you guys are at it why don't you just support Roger in removing special teams from the nfl completely. Why are two random ex NFL players involved in picking anyhow. Simon Cowell is a good judge he should have got to pick the teams with Usher. At least people don't need to debate if the pro bowl is a joke or not now.

KEWASTEES

Reaction score
its still not right. They need skills competition. They dont even really need a game. Just head to head competition of the greatest players in the game at what they do. Tally up the points Olympics style toward the NFC or AFC.

Subzero717

Reaction score
At this point I think they should just ax it. Name the rosters and send them to Hawaii. Have a skills competition?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Rice & Sanders are not "the captains". The two team captains will be the two top vote getters in the Pro Bowl balloting, regardless of position or conference. They will be assisted by Rice & Sanders as well as two winners of an NFL.com fantasy football contest. Also, the voting will not be by conference, it will only be by position.

Voting for the game also will be changed, as conference affiliation no longer will be considered in determining the All-Star selections. The two leading vote-getters will be named captains and will be assisted by Hall of Famers Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders and two NFL.com fantasy football champions in picking the two teams.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/95255 ... wl-changes

mikeak

Reaction score
Can we bet on the player that gets drafted last among those voted in? He will take a lot of crap on twitter that is for sure.

Claden

Reaction score
No kick offs, each team gets the ball at the 25 after a score. Hmm. The soon to be future of the league.
Anyway, I might glance at it, but I have no real interest especially with Rice and Sanders involved.