Make PI Reviewable

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
falcongoggles":2w161olg said:
andyh64000":2w161olg said:
No...but it should be reduced to 15 yards max like in college.

Can I get an amen!

Ya great idea so when a DB gets beat they can just tackle the WR and only have to cough up 15 yards :lol:

soje

Reaction score
I already hate it when players gesticulate after a play, asking for a flag. Now they're asking for flags (or no flags) to be reviewable? No no no no no!!!! This is football, not soccer!

Coming from country where soccer is very popular, I've grown to dislike watching it due to all the flopping. If they make penalties reviewable in the NFL, we will see so much flopping and whining trying to iniciate a review that it will be unbearable.

Please don't turn my favorite sport into soccer. Please don't.

andyh64000

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3hd3i6j5 said:
falcongoggles":3hd3i6j5 said:
andyh64000":3hd3i6j5 said:

Can I get an amen!

Ya great idea so when a DB gets beat they can just tackle the WR and only have to cough up 15 yards :lol:

Because that happens all the time in college? The spot foul is ridiculous...there shouldn't be 50 yard penalties assuming the receiver would have caught the ball no matter what. If that were the case then OPI should award the ball to the defense.

gtcotcakya

Reaction score
andyh64000":15x3kpmu said:
WilsonMVP":15x3kpmu said:
falcongoggles":15x3kpmu said:
andyh64000":15x3kpmu said:

Can I get an amen!

Because that happens all the time in college? The spot foul is ridiculous...there shouldn't be 50 yard penalties assuming the receiver would have caught the ball no matter what. If that were the case then OPI should award the ball to the defense.
It does happen in college, just not all the time. Changing it to 15 yards would change the pro game more than you think. You would see a lot more penalties and a lot fewer completed deep passes. At the very least you would see a lot more downfield contact than you see today. Any DB getting beat deep would rather give up a 15 yard penalty than a TD, and I'd expect that to become a coaching point.

I would, however, like to see OPI changed to include loss of down.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
There's too many replays and wasted time as it is. The game needs to retain a human element and keep the pace up with less flags overall. There's nothing more boring than 20+ combined penalties and 6 replay reviews every game. Just let the DBs and receivers play.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Yeah I agree penalties should be reviewable, in this case, there was no penalty, so how can it be reveiwable?

I would also think, if this type of play was revewable, the official just throws the flag in a knee jerk reaction as it will be reviewed anyway. You think theirs a lot of penalties now.. wait till that rule comes into play.

Largent80

Reaction score
If penalties are to be reviewed then non-calls would need to be reviewed.

NO is the correct answer.

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":1uyrxxt8 said:
If penalties are to be reviewed then non-calls would need to be reviewed.

NO is the correct answer.

And who would need refs on the field. Just one guy to manage the clock and the ball, and a few bouncers for on field fights, and let guys with screens in New York review every play.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
And if Quinn were able to get that play reviewed, would Pete then be able to counter challenge to get the hands to tje face called for offsetting penalties? Or are we going to make PI the only non call that matters?

The day penalties are reviewable is the day I quit watching the game formerly known as football.

McGruff

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2kzkgjxw said:
And if Quinn were able to get that play reviewed, would Pete then be able to counter challenge to get the hands to tje face called for offsetting penalties? Or are we going to make PI the only non call that matters?

The day penalties are reviewable is the day I quit watching the game formerly known as football.

Personally, as bad as officiating can be, I'd roll it back to touchdowns and turnovers as the only reviewable plays. Let judgment calls be judgment calls.

Figuring out a catch is so stupid these days even with reviews, and I think it's the reviews that have forced them to complicate the rules so much. I miss the days of two feet and possession .

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
McGruff":361zuwum said:
XxXdragonXxX":361zuwum said:

Personally, as bad as officiating can be, I'd roll it back to touchdowns and turnovers as the only reviewable plays. Let judgment calls be judgment calls.

Figuring out a catch is so stupid these days even with reviews, and I think it's the reviews that have forced them to complicate the rules so much. I miss the days of two feet and possession .

They cant even figure out 2 feet and posession anymore. Arizonas final TD last night the receiver clearly never had posession with 2 feet in. Or the Martavis Bryant behind the legs flip catch last year, he was very obviously juggling the ball all the way through the process.

Largent80

Reaction score
McGruff nailed another reason for declining viewers. A simple catch. There is no more, catch the ball, have possesion, and 2 feet down or in and it's a catch.

Now a "football move" needs to be made. What even is a football move?...Refs watching replays and they can't even figure it out. It really is ridiculous.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
And what to become of a ref's decision to "let them play", which I'm quite certain is what would have been said if, say, Dallas or New England had been on the receiving end of the non-call.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1vy3aiqe said:
McGruff nailed another reason for declining viewers. A simple catch. There is no more, catch the ball, have possesion, and 2 feet down or in and it's a catch.

Now a "football move" needs to be made. What even is a football move?...Refs watching replays and they can't even figure it out. It really is ridiculous.

And apparently a football move doesn't even include an attempted spin like the non-fumble in the Jets game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
While I'm all for getting calls right, I can't stand the thought of more play stoppages. There's already too many.

If anyone watched last night's MNF game, the BIGGEST problem with the refs is the crews call games so differently from each other. The Hawk's crew let the teams play with very few calls. Last night? So many flags from that crew ruining any enjoyment for me.

If we're gonna change something, let's get some continuity from all the crews on what's egregious for judgement calls and what's not.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1s2cod9s said:
While I'm all for getting calls right, I can't stand the thought of more play stoppages. There's already too many.

If anyone watched last night's MNF game, the BIGGEST problem with the refs is the crews call games so differently from each other. The Hawk's crew let the teams play with very few calls. Last night? So many flags from that crew ruining any enjoyment for me.

If we're gonna change something, let's get some continuity from all the crews on what's egregious for judgement calls and what's not.

National audience vs, local audience maybe.

Maybe with the national audience, they don't want to be wrong ala Sea/Atlanta game so, what do you do?
You throw the flag and let the review be the judge.

It's to easy now for the umps not to be accountable with the review system, unfortunately you end up with a heavily penalized game that just sucks any joy out of it.

The game is played on the field, the umps need to make the calls on the field.
Give the teams each 1 review and be done with it.
Suck it up, Let the guys play.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I was watching to see someone start this thread. I don't support the idea of reviewing PI calls or non calls at all. Its like Sherm said in a press conference recently, the NFL has made it almost impossible for all the players at his position to achieve historical greatness, and went on to say that a lot of the greats from yesteryear would not fare well at all in today's NFL due to all the rule changes. I'm sure the person who started this thread and a lot of those who supported the idea, did so because they thought it would have turned yesterdays loss to Seattle into a win for the Falcon's, not stopping to think about all the times their CBs interfered with the Seahawks receivers. I suspect had that been the case in this game in particular, that the Hawks would have blown the Falcon's out by considerably more than they did. Go back and watch the game film, when the Falcon's scored it was due to blown coverage by the Hawks, on more than a few occasions when the Hawks failed to convert on 3rd downs which surely would have resulted in more points by field goals or touchdowns, due to pass interference offenses that were not called on the Falcon defenders. The refs have to allow for some defense, or we would have to stop and review every single pass thrown. I think they have decided that unless its grossly obvious they are letting the players fight it out, which we all like until its our team that we feel lost as a result of a missed call by the refs. On this one issue I think the refs are trying to be fair and reasonable for the most part. Now about allowing d line players to take cheap shots on the QBs after they have released the ball, I wouldn't mind seeing that become reviewable, way to many QBs getting injured due to late hits, career ending in many instances.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawk45":30l8ua72 said:
Hopefully the decline in ratings exerts a pressure against further awful ideas like this. Gone are the days they can warp the game beyond all recognition and fans will still turn on the TV.
This ^
As it is now, all a Receiver has to do is throw himself into the CB or Safety and the rags come out against the Defensive player being in the wrong place on the play..... the Receiver already has too many advantages as it is.
The Falcons fans need to just quit with the sniveling.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
The game is turning into unwatchable crap thanks to all the reviews, replays and vague rules. That garbage Monday night game between the Jets and Cards is exhibit A for how awful the game has become. More rules, more stoppages and more Zebras getting on the screen are not what this league needs.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
pacific101":3ngzpn3o said:
I was watching to see someone start this thread. I don't support the idea of reviewing PI calls or non calls at all. Its like Sherm said in a press conference recently, the NFL has made it almost impossible for all the players at his position to achieve historical greatness, and went on to say that a lot of the greats from yesteryear would not fare well at all in today's NFL due to all the rule changes. I'm sure the person who started this thread and a lot of those who supported the idea, did so because they thought it would have turned yesterdays loss to Seattle into a win for the Falcon's, not stopping to think about all the times their CBs interfered with the Seahawks receivers. I suspect had that been the case in this game in particular, that the Hawks would have blown the Falcon's out by considerably more than they did. Go back and watch the game film, when the Falcon's scored it was due to blown coverage by the Hawks, on more than a few occasions when the Hawks failed to convert on 3rd downs which surely would have resulted in more points by field goals or touchdowns, due to pass interference offenses that were not called on the Falcon defenders. The refs have to allow for some defense, or we would have to stop and review every single pass thrown. I think they have decided that unless its grossly obvious they are letting the players fight it out, which we all like until its our team that we feel lost as a result of a missed call by the refs. On this one issue I think the refs are trying to be fair and reasonable for the most part. Now about allowing d line players to take cheap shots on the QBs after they have released the ball, I wouldn't mind seeing that become reviewable, way to many QBs getting injured due to late hits, career ending in many instances.

As the person who started the thread, let me say that I don't support making PI reviewable. The thread title has more to do with knowing that the drumbeat for it would come after yesterday. Sometimes such rulings are "letting them play" and sometimes they are the seed for people to cry for rule changes when the outcome they wanted didn't happen. As a long time Seahawks fan, I knew which one this would be.

Latest posts