Malik Mcdowell arrested for theft, assaulting an officer

ivotuk

Reaction score
kobebryant":1sxt01wj said:
xray":1sxt01wj said:
Was this entire fiasco with him a complete surprise ?

I think the post-accident criminal behavior is certainly a surprise. As his issues as a prospect were effort and attitude related as it pertained to football, and not off the field; and frankly, not in the same realm as some of the issues that successful draft picks like Clark and Sweezy had.

But, suffering a TBI at 21, and any frontal lobe damage can seriously impact impulse control and bring on anti-social behaviors. That's a dangerous mix without the structure and peer support that football provided.

No college education, probably not in any mental shape to pursue an education now, owes a lot of money and if he ever is able to get a job his wages will likely be garnished (but who would hire him after googling him?) , living with the ramifications of a TBI. I hope I'm wrong, but the future isn't promising and I'm not sure how he pulls himself out of this hole.

HOW, do you know that he has TBI and Frontal Lobe Damage?

Honestly, I feel bad for the guy, IMHO, he's an alcoholic, and that would explain his issues from College until now.

Also, he could have done some real damage to that cop if he wanted to. The size difference was disconcerting. I think the officer jumped the gun and should have waited for back up. You don't try to handle a drunk of that size by yourself. ESPECIALLY, when there's a 2nd person in the car!

I don't think McDowell's intent was ever to hurt anyone, he was just hammered out of his mind and allowing his drunk self to make the decisions. Malik doesn't need jail, he needs to be institutionalized for medical and emotional issues.

I'll give credit to the Seahawks for keeping him around long enough to see that he got all the help he could. I don't know if that was their intention, but that's how Pete operates. He truly cares about his players.

acer1240

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2sl7euo8 said:
https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/09/malik-mcdowell-fights-cop-after-being-tased-insane-video/

Dude needs help.....

Someone should get him a supervisor.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":340u5n2g said:
After watching the video he is damn lucky the cop showed tremendous restraint.
The guy is lucky to be alive.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/09/malik-mc ... ane-video/

So THIS. That first cop was very impressive in dealing with that situation, in all facets, including a smaller guy dealing with a Goliath like McDowell. Hell, sign the cop to a futures contract and get him in the Seahawks weightroom, he looks like a guy Tom Cable could turn into a decent offensive lineman. Oops, never mind. Too late. That and/or McDowell maybe wasn't going to be the pass rusher Pete thought.

Many asshats have been shot and killed for less in altercations with police. Cop tased him first, looked like it just pissed McD off rather than immobilizing him. Getting .18 BAC drunk and driving? STUPID. Coming after an armed cop? beyond STUPID. McDowell seems to be too stupid to stop and reflect (in a sober state) that he is lucky to even be above ground, alive, after that fiasco.

Concur with the conclusion he must have blown through nearly all his available cash to "purchase" a $74K truck off the street for $3,000. You can take the boy out of the hood...

It's ridiculous to compare Malik McD to Frank Clark in any way, shape, or form, at any point in their careers, regarding off-field stuff. Very, very different situations. Clark, as a college freshman IIRC, did stupid shit, accepted consequences, learned, repented, came back wiser, and went to work. Never, never, never did I ever see even one hint of Clark taking plays off, lacking effort, etc., at *any* point in his career. Clark got blown up and attacked by the media because he had the bad judgment to get mixed up with a psycho GF.

In fairness, agreed the head injury of McDowell's is a factor. He's lucky to be alive at all. Prison might be the safest place for McDowell for a while, seriously.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MSU_LEEK4/status/1134933495330037761[/tweet]

Well I think we now know what those other reasons were..... fighting cops and stealing cars?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1ydh3o3e said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MSU_LEEK4/status/1134933495330037761[/tweet]

Well I think we now know what those other reasons were..... fighting cops and stealing cars?

It seems his head is the issue, but perhaps not related to the accident. :Dunno:

HawkerD

Reaction score
THI or not he probably has some realization that he made one mistake getting on the ATV and it essentially completely screwed him. Part of this is likely not yet coming to grips with his situation. Imagine one minute you hold the winning lottery ticket and then you realize it went down the garbage disposal. Its even worse because he worked his whole life to get there.

That said the video should be all over twitter as a testament to police restraint. It is terrible when a person is shot and killed by police when it wasn't necessary but I have a feeling that cases like this happen a large majority of the time and no one hears about them. When he got up after being tazed that could have been it for MM. He just got a new lease on life and maybe he can reflect on that and change his life around.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Malik was acting like an idiot. The officer should have waited for backup, though. Not sure why he thought he could single-handedly take on a guy Malik’s size, but that was ill advised. He did show excellent restraint in not immediately pulling out a firearm, and I'm glad to see that.

I hope for Malik’s sake that he doesn't have either a drinking problem or lasting brain injury effects and that he can get his life together.

toffee

Reaction score
Got to wonder what was the first cop’s height and weight, he looked like a toddler next that ex-Seahawk. Also got to wonder what took that lady cop or partner so long to come and help.

The first cop got balls the size of basketball, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivotuk

Reaction score
BOB, GROZ AND TOM July 9, 2019 - Hour 1

Bob and Groz recap a Home Run Derby for the ages. Was this the best home run derby in recent memory? Was it good for the future of baseball?

Then, the guys discuss the disturbing released video of Malik McDowell's arrest and what has sadly happened to the former Seahawk.

Then, Serena Williams caused $10,000 worth of damage to a Wimbledon court...Wait a Minute, What?

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... oz+and+Tom

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Pros: He is a big individual. He holds up well to taser attacks. Balance is top notch.

Cons: Doesn't use his hands well. Arm length doesn't seem to translate to the next level, struggles with smaller less athletic opponents.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Two reasons why the taser wasnt effective: Malik was wearing thick clothes and the taser was deployed closer than the recommended range. Probes deployed too close will have a smaller spread so the current applied is insufficient.

Also, Malik and his buddy were clearly under the influence and appeared to have problems walking straight at moments.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Absolutely LOVE what Groz has to say here. Bob Stelton keeps trying to make it out like the Seahawks should change their draft philosophy because of this, but Groz reminds him that Malik's issues pre-draft were effort related, NOT criminal.

Groz also correctly states that we don't know anything about McDowell's character pre-draft, pre-injury, or post-injury. He also states that "The Seahawks never got a chance to work with him." Indicating that Pete likes to take troubled young men and help them to become productive young men. Witnessed by his "Better LA" work, and Bettter Seattle work.

Pete does have a track record of turning young men in to better versions of themselves.

ivotuk":3gc495il said:
BOB, GROZ AND TOM July 9, 2019 - Hour 1

Bob and Groz recap a Home Run Derby for the ages. Was this the best home run derby in recent memory? Was it good for the future of baseball?

Then, the guys discuss the disturbing released video of Malik McDowell's arrest and what has sadly happened to the former Seahawk.

Then, Serena Williams caused $10,000 worth of damage to a Wimbledon court...Wait a Minute, What?

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... oz+and+Tom

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":ulqjrvlp said:
Pros: He is a big individual. He holds up well to taser attacks. Balance is top notch.

Cons: Doesn't use his hands well. Arm length doesn't seem to translate to the next level, struggles with smaller less athletic opponents.

/thread

olyfan63

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3dzfckbh said:
bevellisthedevil":3dzfckbh said:

/thread

That's how I felt too when I read that! :irishdrinkers:

So the problem was Pete and John just didn't have enough film before the draft to properly evaluate McDowell? Well, there's plenty of film out there on him now!

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
olyfan63":1b2ax3nx said:
JGfromtheNW":1b2ax3nx said:
bevellisthedevil":1b2ax3nx said:

/thread

That's how I felt too when I read that! :irishdrinkers:

So the problem was Pete and John just didn't have enough film before the draft to properly evaluate McDowell? Well, there's plenty of film out there on him now!

FINALLY some game tape.

James in PA

Reaction score
Malik McDowell chasing down Johnny Manziel: coming soon to an irrelevant football league near you!

acer1240

Reaction score
James in PA":tcx5y2up said:
Malik McDowell chasing down Johnny Manziel: coming soon to an irrelevant football league near you!

Not sure about that. It will take a ton of plea bargaining to keep him out of jail for less than a year I would think.

Any reasonable jury or judge would convict him immediately after viewing the footage.

I didn't look up specific statutes, but I know that it pisses a LOT of people off when you put your hands on a officer.