Maragos' knee was down!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He wasn't down.. looked like the ball was getting knocked out and Maragos sensed this and decided to heave it.. for god knows whatever reason.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Johnny":203xba8d said:
Knee down or not, That was one of the stupidest decisions I've ever seen from a player.... I mean it's at the end of the half and a play like that happens just get the ball and go DOWN!!!!... Why in the world would he try and throw that ball?.. Just a dumb play on his part and it could've cost the Hawks this game..

This. I wouldn't believe it in a high school game. Pewee maybe.

kearly

Reaction score
They had a super up-close replay of it. I watched it at 1/15 speed. The knee was down (and was touching the ground at least slightly) at least 3 ticks before the ball starts to come out. Maybe 4 depending on your opinion of when the ball comes out. That's roughly a quarter second, which is actually an eternity on even moderate slow-mo.

In real time I thought it was a fumble. But frame by frame, you could clearly see he was down. After all the bullshit last week, I can't even express how relieved I am that this didn't make the difference in the game.

Also, Maragos, what the hell were you thinking?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Johnny":3ssptppd said:
Knee down or not, That was one of the stupidest decisions I've ever seen from a player.... I mean it's at the end of the half and a play like that happens just get the ball and go DOWN!!!!... Why in the world would he try and throw that ball?.. Just a dumb play on his part and it could've cost the Hawks this game..

Absolutely. Maragos should thank his lucky stars that his idiocy did not cost us the game

BamKam

Reaction score
Lol no it wasn't. Even if it was it was nowhere close to being able to overturn it. Take the Green and Blue goggles off, I gurantee you if we were the ones scoring the TD you would either say that no way his knee was down or you can't overturn it.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
OK, just got back from the game.

What the hell happened on this play, it was a field goal attempt right? How did I see some Titan running down the field scoring a TD. Everyone in the stands(at least around me) was so confused. Fill me in.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2rbdh52s said:
Johnny":2rbdh52s said:

I coach high school football and wouldn't believe it if the COACHES sent in back-ups to kick a field goal instead of going for it in the first place. What a horrible decision.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":30ljpoaa said:
OK, just got back from the game.

What the hell happened on this play, it was a field goal attempt right? How did I see some Titan running down the field scoring a TD. Everyone in the stands(at least around me) was so confused. Fill me in.

Hauschka was hurt from trying to tackle a guy on the previous kick-off. Jon Ryan is our back-up kicker and apparently Maragos is the backup holder. We tried to kick a field goal with those two in and it didn't go according to plan.

pehawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":phntx4k7 said:
Sarlacc83":phntx4k7 said:
Johnny":phntx4k7 said:

I coach high school football and wouldn't believe it if the COACHES sent in back-ups to kick a field goal instead of going for it in the first place. What a horrible decision.

YES, YES, YES.

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, almost INEXCUSIBLE call by the staff. That was a bad decision. You're at home...go for it.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3f6g389f said:
I don't think it was conclusive. If anything it looked like his knee was down on the other guys arm.

Either way it was a stupid play by Maragos to not just eat the ball. And a stupid call by Pete to try a FG when our regulars are not there.

I couldn't agree more J. Basically, I would have to call this an absolutely stupid decision by Pete Carroll (and I'm betting if you got Pete alone and asked him about it, just between the 2 of you, he'd probably agree.) Seriously, the graphic flashes up there that Jon Ryan has NEVER attempted a field goal in an NFL game ... and last attempted one in a preseason game in 2004 in the CFL. Uh-Oh. Bigger problem -- Jon Ryan is the regular holder (who is now being asked to attempt the kick.) So, they pull in Chris Maragos to hold, who hadn't been a holder since he did it last at Wisconsin. That's a recipe for disaster ... and that's exactly what the Seahawks got on that play.

You know that Carroll is thinking that if he goes for it on 4th down and doesn't get it, he's thinking that's potentially a momentum changer in the Titans favor. Well that FG attempt sure changed momentum all right. If it were me and I were holding the clip board, I'd have gone for it. Bottom line is that (given the circumstances) I trust Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson to punch it in FAR MORE than I trust a back-up FG kicking unit that you know hasn't worked together all that much (if at all.)

jkitsune

Reaction score
Really, this play just provided the most irrefutable argument ever for why your holder should NOT be your backup kicker.

Axx

Reaction score
maybe he was trying to take Tjacks spot as the #2 QB

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
On TV it wasn't really conclusive and even if his knee was down, it looked kinda like it was down on another player's body part.

HawkGANG

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":11b6gm3a said:
JSeahawks":11b6gm3a said:
I don't think it was conclusive. If anything it looked like his knee was down on the other guys arm.

Either way it was a stupid play by Maragos to not just eat the ball. And a stupid call by Pete to try a FG when our regulars are not there.

I couldn't agree more J. Basically, I would have to call this an absolutely stupid decision by Pete Carroll (and I'm betting if you got Pete alone and asked him about it, just between the 2 of you, he'd probably agree.) Seriously, the graphic flashes up there that Jon Ryan has NEVER attempted a field goal in an NFL game ... and last attempted one in a preseason game in 2004 in the CFL. Uh-Oh. Bigger problem -- Jon Ryan is the regular holder (who is now being asked to attempt the kick.) So, they pull in Chris Maragos to hold, who hadn't been a holder since he did it last at Wisconsin. That's a recipe for disaster ... and that's exactly what the Seahawks got on that play.

You know that Carroll is thinking that if he goes for it on 4th down and doesn't get it, he's thinking that's potentially a momentum changer in the Titans favor. Well that FG attempt sure changed momentum all right. If it were me and I were holding the clip board, I'd have gone for it. Bottom line is that (given the circumstances) I trust Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson to punch it in FAR MORE than I trust a back-up FG kicking unit that you know hasn't worked together all that much (if at all.)

Carroll took the blame for the stupid decision in the post game press conference.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
If indeed, it was an attempt to try'n fool the Thumb Tacks, I get it, but Maragos fumble is unfortunate, BUT, that play-call wasn't on him, it was on Pete, which he owned up for calling it.
For anyone calling Maragos stupid for that play?, WTF are you talking about??, okay, he fumbled, so did Lynch, so is he stupid too? :roll:

razgriz737

Reaction score
scutterhawk":cudtrch2 said:
If indeed, it was an attempt to try'n fool the Thumb Tacks, I get it, but Maragos fumble is unfortunate, BUT, that play-call wasn't on him, it was on Pete, which he owned up for calling it.
For anyone calling Maragos stupid for that play?, WTF are you talking about??, okay, he fumbled, so did Lynch, so is he stupid too? :roll:
He didn't just fumble. He literally threw the ball up into the air.

OP
OP
kigenzun

kigenzun

Reaction score
kearly":1phbw9lg said:
They had a super up-close replay of it. I watched it at 1/15 speed. The knee was down (and was touching the ground at least slightly) at least 3 ticks before the ball starts to come out. Maybe 4 depending on your opinion of when the ball comes out. That's roughly a quarter second, which is actually an eternity on even moderate slow-mo.

In real time I thought it was a fumble. But frame by frame, you could clearly see he was down. After all the bullshit last week, I can't even express how relieved I am that this didn't make the difference in the game.

It was wacky, yes. Completely wacky, and should've never happened, sure...
But the call on the field was skewed by the weirdness/unexpectedness of it, too. And the "impartial objective observers" got the call on the field wrong, by being out of position at the full speed of the game.

And gee, I mean, isn't that the whole point of replay???

From the long angle they kept showing it was close, but down as kearly says, 'down + 3ticks; an eternity'. From the side angle it was obvious. I guess I simply don't understand how there can be 47 cameras, and 500 photographers at the game, and they only show/review one angle sometimes. For the booth to "let it stand" 'cuz they can't see it either is unacceptable.

The stupidest of plays by Maragos in that game situation/timeclock context. But... He was down before the ball came out. The return TD should not have counted. End of story.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
At home, that was a ridiculous call. At worst, we don't punch it in with virutally no time on the clock and they're stuck with a 98 yard drive. I hope to christ Pete pulls his head out next time.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
scutterhawk":r91xuk3t said:

Try to keep up. :mrgreen: