Marcus Peters to the Rams

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Clayton said a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year. Will be interesting to see what it is. Just no cap to do it, and he'll be wanting a massive contract sooner than later.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
original poster":1xt9byr4 said:
Seems it was a 2018 4th and 2019 2nd.

Not too bad at all, I'd take the risk for that sort of draft capital.

Remember the Harvin.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Bobblehead":93diggr3 said:
original poster":93diggr3 said:

Remember the Harvin.

Didn’t Hawks give up a 1st for Percy?

Peters is a risk, but his upside is definitely worth the small amount Rams are giving up to get him

Also, now he’s outa MO, something it seems he made clear he wanted. So, huge upside if he keeps it together in a better environment.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Great trade for the Rams, though I think it says a lot to Peter's issues that he was had for so cheap.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
RedAlice":30u620ka said:
Bobblehead":30u620ka said:
original poster":30u620ka said:

Remember the Harvin.

Peters is a risk, but his upside is definitely worth the small amount Rams are giving up to get him

Also, now he’s outa MO, something it seems he made clear he wanted. So, huge upside if he keeps it together in a better environment.

Is LA really a better environment?

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2japooqd said:
drrew":2japooqd said:
I like Marcus Peters quite a bit, but this means the Rams are almost guaranteed not to resign Trumaine Johnson and they're going to have to give up multiple draft picks, so the overall impact isn't as great as just saying they now have Peters on the team.

This.

Peters is a better CB than Johnson, but it's not by a mile. So the net impact IMO isn't as drastically terrible for us as some are making it out to be.

The huge thing in all this is the difference for 2018. If we re-signed Trumaine, it's for at least $12 million per year - but I'm betting the Browns or Niners pay him even more than that.

Peters is the better player by most metrics, and only costs $1.5 million. And only cost a 4th rounder this year and a 2nd next year.

If Peters continues his current level of play, I really doubt the Rams re-sign him long term. He'll probably want $16+ million per year - but I think the Rams logic was, Trumaine was walking either way.

Where this could be a potential failure for the Rams is if two years from now neither Watkins nor Peters is on the team (and if we haven't won the super bowl), and we gave up two 2nd round picks that could have been cheap starters.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Trrrroy":324220tm said:
RedAlice":324220tm said:
Bobblehead":324220tm said:
original poster":324220tm said:

Remember the Harvin.

Is LA really a better environment?

For Peters? Absolutely.

From reading more, some of the KC fanbase hated him because he kneeled for the anthem. It's an ultra-conservative city, including the owner, and he wanted out of there. The Rams coaching staff and Cali will be a much better fit for him.

If you are not referring to football, but instead the LA Nightclub and celebrity scene, doesn't seem to be an issue for Rams players currently.

Rambitious

Reaction score
original poster":zfee5nhz said:
Very interested to hear what they gave up.

It appears:
Fourth round pick in 2018 and a second round pick in 2019.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Rambitious":1kanevl8 said:
original poster":1kanevl8 said:

It appears:

Plus KC gave Rams their 2018 6th, so essentially a 4th for 6th swap this year.

---

Rams give KC - 2018 4th and 2019 2nd

KC gives Rams - Peters and 2018 6th

NJlargent

Reaction score
No matter how we try to throw a wet blanket on this move, it is a monstrous home run for the Rams.

adeltaY

Reaction score
What the hell this is a steal for the Rams! Chiefs screwed themselves and us big time with this move. Damn.

RedAlice

Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time over the last years posting here and on the webzone back when the Rams were in STL.

The curious thing about the Peters trade, is I did not know the Niners pushed him to draft Armstrong. Until I read the webzone thread.

So I am gathering that Peters was not drafted in favor of someone called Armstrong?

well, a quote I like from today (and feel free Niner fans to enlighten me):

Peters will haunt us the rest of his career for Baalke picking Armsdead over him

eta: Peters is a NoCal homie. All he wants is to be by his home. He got sent to Kansas City. Not sure you could pick a more disparate part of our country to place him in. Closer to home and by people like him will be better.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RedAlice":38sgqaye said:
I've spent a lot of time over the last years posting here and on the webzone back when the Rams were in STL.

The curious thing about the Peters trade, is I did not know the Niners pushed him to draft Armstrong. Until I read the webzone thread.

So I am gathering that Peters was not drafted in favor of someone called Armstrong?

well, a quote I like from today (and feel free Niner fans to enlighten me):

Peters will haunt us the rest of his career for Baalke picking Armsdead over him

eta: Peters is a NoCal homie. All he wants is to be by his home. He got sent to Kansas City. Not sure you could pick a more disparate part of our country to place him in. Closer to home and by people like him will be better.

The player you're talking about is Arik Armstead.

Your post doesn't make a lot of sense, and I'm not sure who you're saying pushed the 9ers to draft Armstead, but they were linked to him for a long time before the draft.

IIRC Peters went the pick after him. As for the webzone, I don't remember the poster's handle over there but there's a guy who is a Peters obsessive and has spent the last three years bringing up Marcus Peters in every thread.

In any case, on top of really like Armstead, the general feeling was that the 9ers had already taken Peters off their board entirely, and he was never really in the running to be drafted by them in the first place. This was when Aldon Smith's alcholism, Ray McDonald's violence, Chris Culliver threatening another driver with brass knuckles, etc. were all destroying the 9ers reputation, and any guys with character flags -- as Peters had -- were just off their board entirely.

As for why the Chiefs gave up on Peters, the word is that it doesn't really have anything to do with him as a teammate or him running hot as a player. It sounds very much like a decision made by the owner, and one that doesn't have anything to do with football.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
It isn't like the niners arnt used to playing against great Corners. Both Peterson and Sherm are better then Peters and they've been facing them for years. I think they'll be just fine.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":2pw9c3vl said:
Simple, run right at him and make him a liability.

Yup...he went to college at Oregon..... :sarcasm_off:

Ramfan128

Reaction score
RedAlice":2ldy6jft said:
Rambitious":2ldy6jft said:
original poster":2ldy6jft said:

It appears:

Plus KC gave Rams their 2018 6th, so essentially a 4th for 6th swap this year.

---

Rams give KC - 2018 4th and 2019 2nd

KC gives Rams - Peters and 2018 6th

And unless we do some crazy spending in free agency, which is unlikely, we could very well get a 3rd round comp pick for TruJo signing else where in free agency..

We basically swapped Johnson for Peters, which saves money (and Peters is better), and then swapped a 4th for a 6th this year and a 2nd for a 3rd next year. Wow.