Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...

Bobblehead

Reaction score
sutz":l2vfyhn6 said:
Bobblehead":l2vfyhn6 said:
Anyone get to see the new Japanese kid today? How was he.. his delivery from what I"ve seen is just nasty.
Decent outing. 2 innings complete/29 pitches/1K/1BB/ a hit or two.

1st inning was solid. Line out to right, K'd Votto :) , then covered 1st on a grounder to Healy. Gave up two runs, unearned per the scorer. Total 12 pitches IIRC.

2d inning a bit rockier, but got out of it with no additional runs. Has an interesting wind up and delivery. Has the standard hesitation in there like most Japanese pitcher. Has a bit of a double leg kick, too. Hides the ball really well, drops it down behind his leg through most of his motion. FB was hitting low to mid 90's. Slider needs some work, not a lot of snap on it.

Looked promising.

Game will replay at 9:00 on ROOT.

Thanks.. don't get root and missed the radio broadcast.
Just seen clips of him on FB but was really curious how his outing was..again thank you.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3bax7reo said:
sutz":3bax7reo said:
Bobblehead":3bax7reo said:
Anyone get to see the new Japanese kid today? How was he.. his delivery from what I"ve seen is just nasty.
Decent outing. 2 innings complete/29 pitches/1K/1BB/ a hit or two.

1st inning was solid. Line out to right, K'd Votto :) , then covered 1st on a grounder to Healy. Gave up two runs, unearned per the scorer. Total 12 pitches IIRC. On edit: Oops, my bad.

2d inning a bit rockier, but got out of it with no additional runs. Has an interesting wind up and delivery. Has the standard hesitation in there like most Japanese pitcher. Has a bit of a double leg kick, too. Hides the ball really well, drops it down behind his leg through most of his motion. FB was hitting low to mid 90's. Slider needs some work, not a lot of snap on it.

Looked promising.

Game will replay at 9:00 on ROOT.

Thanks.. don't get root and missed the radio broadcast.
Just seen clips of him on FB but was really curious how his outing was..again thank you.
Actually blew that recap. :oops:

Two unearned were in the 2d inning. 1st was a 1-2-3 affair on 13 pitches. Sorry about that. :|

DJrmb

Reaction score
I also missed the game (and the replay). I saw a gif of the hitch in his wind up. Did he continue that when guys were on base as well or did he shorten it up?

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
DJrmb":3o1plx30 said:
I also missed the game (and the replay). I saw a gif of the hitch in his wind up. Did he continue that when guys were on base as well or did he shorten it up?
Don't really remember. He didn't throw a lot from the stretch.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Nice start for Gonzalez. 3 innings scoreless, 48 chucks/39 strikes/ 5K/1BB. All his pitches looking pretty good.

:2thumbs:

Looks like Marco is what passes for our ace this season. :)

Seags had an opposite field double. I guess he had a single to left the other day. If he can learn to beat the shift, he'll have a decent season IMHO. At least it looks like he's working on it.

Braden Bishop legged out a slow grounder to 3rd to pick up an RBI.

Atradees

Reaction score
N. Rumbelow-pitcher..................hmmm. no Rum Below? I dont like the sound of that! Badum dum. chhhhh....

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Who is this Long guy?He looks like he wants to make the team along with Lewis.
I like seeing hungry players instead of vets just going throug the motions.
On another note Felix..Man the fall from glory is hard to watch.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
IndyHawk":cgh9y0hh said:
Who is this Long guy?He looks like he wants to make the team along with Lewis.
I like seeing hungry players instead of vets just going throug the motions.
On another note Felix..Man the fall from glory is hard to watch.

Went 3 strong innings with no walks and 4ks.

Havent been much contact on his pitches yet.

Middle relief would be great for him

Atradees

Reaction score
Long is lookin good- the after thought trade with the Yankees; prospect for prospect. Young and hungry...lets see if it translates to the regular season. Sheffeild on board Felix some other role please.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Atradees":3e2eaafx said:
Long is lookin good- the after thought trade with the Yankees; prospect for prospect. Young and hungry...lets see if it translates to the regular season. Sheffeild on board Felix some other role please.
I don't think it was an afterthought. Long has been on DiPoto's radar for a while.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... attention/

Sights set on the big leagues, Shed Long has the Mariners’ full attention

115134 768x501

Jerry Dipoto has wanted to trade for Shed Long for quite some time. This offseason, he finally did -- and early impressions are affirming: "Shed Long can really hit."

PEORIA, Ariz. — The “official” stats of spring training say otherwise, but Shed Long recorded two stinging doubles against the Oakland A’s in the Cactus League opener Feb. 21.

The A’s attempted to play that day, when even the worst weather forecaster could’ve predicted the outcome: a canceled game after 1½ innings and discarded results. But even if the stats don’t show it, Long’s two plate appearances did happen against the A’s on that rainy, miserable day at Hohokam Stadium in Mesa, Ariz. The Mariners coaching staff, which is important in Long’s progression toward reaching the big leagues, still remembers — two doubles, which led to a run and an RBI.

Officially, Long is now hitting .300 (3 for 10) with a .462 on-base percentage, a homer, two walks, a hit by pitch and four RBI, a stolen base. A RBI single in two at-bats Thursday raised his average. But if you add the stats from the canceled game, he’s got a .416 batting average, two doubles, a homer and five RBI with an on-base percentage over .500.

More at link.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Shed Long, Domingo Santana, Kyle Lewis all looking great. Im very excited about their futures among others.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Don't leave out Jake Fraley, he's looking like a total stud! He's hitting .417 ATM and he's done that over 7 games (tied for most games anyone's played so far). Maybe his .347 avg, 415 obp, and 962 ops last season in the minors wasn't just a fluke...

Atradees

Reaction score
There are possibilities. How will it all shake out? Will the large contracts take precedence?

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Countdown to opening day: 2019 Mariners roster projection

02242019 Mariners Sunday 171503 768x605

PEORIA, Ariz. — In just over a week, March 14 to be exact, the Mariners will board a plane for Japan to open the 2019 season with the Oakland A’s — a week earlier than everyone else.

For fans starved for something more than meaningless spring training results, the two-game set in the Tokyo Dome offers a brief preview before the regular season truly gets going into full swing March 28.

The Mariners will take at least 30 players to Japan on the trip, which includes two exhibition games against the Yomiuri Giants. But before that first pitch against the A’s on March 20, the Mariners will have to whittle down to a 28-man roster. Both teams get three extra players for the two games to help offset having to start the season so early.

When the Mariners return from Japan, they will have six days and two exhibition games against the Padres at T-Mobile Park to decide on a final roster, trimming it down from 28 to 25 for the home opener against the Red Sox on Thursday, March 28.

More

Atradees

Reaction score
Hernandez just needs to go home. He is terrible. Maybe he has substance abuse problems. its time for Justice. Sheffield.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Atradees":2d670he9 said:
Hernandez just needs to go home. He is terrible. Maybe he has substance abuse problems. its time for Justice. Sheffield.

Completely agree. Sheffield is ready. Let's just cut to the chase, release Felix and proceed with the future. Felix is long done and has zero trade value and it's a waste of time having him in the pen. They're going to be eating the $27 mil either way so why prolong this anymore? He's given up 13 earned runs and 13 hits in 7 1/3 innings this spring-it ain't getting any better next month.

And they know he's going to struggle badly too yet are giving him this rotation spot out of respect, the same way they wasted a roster spot with Ichiro the beginning of last year and Griffey's ugly final shortened season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Felix still thinks he’s a power pitcher when his fastball tops at 88mph.

Not enough mph difference between his fastball and his change up.

Chuck and Buck were talking about how his fastball was getting hammered at an alarming rate the other day.

Felix needs to realize he’s not 25 and his fastball that he used to throw by hitters is now batting practice due to lost velocity.
Stop throwing it on a regular basis.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He is done and a waste of a spot..
I don't hear of him of doing anything like Justin V or Clay K
when they also started losing FB speed..
You need to admit and adjust..Felix just whines about
not being the opening day starter and keeps doing the
same thing.I can't stand the guy too much now.
JS is showing a lot more at this stage and deserves a
shot..I suspect he will after 16 days in the minors to keep
him another year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Atradees":l9vhrud0 said:

Substance abuse?

Kinell did that come from?