Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
jkitsune":3vj5fopc said:
Michael Saunders is out until the All-Star break with a torn meniscus suffered by tripping over a sprinkler head during drills.

He's starting to feel like a less-dynamic Franklin Gutierrez. Talented player who just cannot ever, ever, ever stay healthy.

Feel sorry for the kid, that sucks. Still damn glad it's not our problem.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":1ezhitj6 said:
jkitsune":1ezhitj6 said:
Michael Saunders is out until the All-Star break with a torn meniscus suffered by tripping over a sprinkler head during drills.

He's starting to feel like a less-dynamic Franklin Gutierrez. Talented player who just cannot ever, ever, ever stay healthy.

Feel sorry for the kid, that sucks. Still damn glad it's not our problem.

Yeah... Jack Z got one right it appears.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wow is that for real?

That is exactly the reason why the M's were done with him. He cannot be trusted to stay healthy and he always finds a way to get hurt. Weird how some people are just like that.

Can you imagine the frustration we'd have if the M's had just sat tight at RF with Saunders and this happened? Another year of Endy Chavez would be coming up. Glad that Z decided to do something different even though he got blasted for dumping Saunders.

jkitsune

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3lhce9w0 said:
Wow is that for real?

That is exactly the reason why the M's were done with him. He cannot be trusted to stay healthy and he always finds a way to get hurt. Weird how some people are just like that.

Can you imagine the frustration we'd have if the M's had just sat tight at RF with Saunders and this happened? Another year of Endy Chavez would be coming up. Glad that Z decided to do something different even though he got blasted for dumping Saunders.

I have very mixed feelings about labeling players a 'injury-prone.' There is very little scientific data to suggest that certain players suddenly develop an affinity to being injured that is not due purely to random chance that is unpredictable, unless it is due to significant underlying medical issues. That said, it certainly is true that some people's bodies age less well than others, some people's bones are more durable than others, etc. I always have trouble with the idea that 'injury-proneness' is an attribute that can be quantified and predicted. As such, using it to justify undervaluing Saunders is hard for me.

That being said, players like Saunders and Gutierrez have such a proclivity for injuries, including these weird fluke ones, that it does genuinely feel like it defies logic and reason.

While I don't think you can use an injury like that to retrospectively justify the trade, and I still think we probably didn't get as much as Saunders could've been worth, the Mariners' decision to cut bait turned out to be a stroke of good luck for an organization that badly needs it. Just like in poker, sometimes you don't make the play that has the highest probability of success, but it's your gut and you go with it and you win. More often than not, going with your 'gut' against the odds is not the right choice.

Sometimes you get lucky. The M's got lucky. Sadly, Saunders didn't. Hope he recovers.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
jkitsune":1khys2v2 said:
I have very mixed feelings about labeling players a 'injury-prone.' There is very little scientific data to suggest that certain players suddenly develop an affinity to being injured that is not due purely to random chance that is unpredictable, unless it is due to significant underlying medical issues. That said, it certainly is true that some people's bodies age less well than others, some people's bones are more durable than others, etc. I always have trouble with the idea that 'injury-proneness' is an attribute that can be quantified and predicted. As such, using it to justify undervaluing Saunders is hard for me.

That being said, players like Saunders and Gutierrez have such a proclivity for injuries, including these weird fluke ones, that it does genuinely feel like it defies logic and reason.

While I don't think you can use an injury like that to retrospectively justify the trade, and I still think we probably didn't get as much as Saunders could've been worth, the Mariners' decision to cut bait turned out to be a stroke of good luck for an organization that badly needs it. Just like in poker, sometimes you don't make the play that has the highest probability of success, but it's your gut and you go with it and you win. More often than not, going with your 'gut' against the odds is not the right choice.

Sometimes you get lucky. The M's got lucky. Sadly, Saunders didn't. Hope he recovers.

Very well put. I know that Saunders was much loved by many Ms fans who were butthurt that he was traded. But after watching Guti tantalizingly tease us every year with his talent only to end up in the hospital (again, not his fault really) I was just ready to move on, personally. And so I had no patience for Saunders--a similar player with similar issues but with less raw talent.

Glad Guti's back on a minor league deal, and I hope that he makes the team on the bench. But every day he plays I'll just consider it a "+1" addition to his career games played total with no expectation for another +1 after the final out is called in the game.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I know its only spring training but DJ Peterson with a homer in his first at bat!

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2kvvu05w said:
m0ng0":2kvvu05w said:
I know its only spring training but DJ Peterson with a homer in his first at bat!
Reportedly it was on the 1st pitch.

1st or 2nd. Fast enough that I didn't actually see him approach the plate--was working on something. Then Sims voice started getting loud, looked up to see it line drive over the fence. Nice!

Montero looking GOOOOOD as well.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Montero's wake-up call came in the form of an ice-cream bar. That was a turning point--he could've ate it (I'm sure he wanted to).

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hultzen pitched today 1 in 12p/8 strikes..Good to see the guy is on the road back..GO M'S!

jkitsune

Reaction score
Really good to see Hultzen return to the mound. He was dripping with potential before the injury, and he's worked really, really hard to get back out there. Here's hoping he can revive a promising career.

Atradees

Reaction score
mbtitleist":2ejkndy1 said:
Taylor is out 4-6 weeks so it looks like Miller will be the opening day SS.

Thats a bummer. Miller and Taylor have been looking good with the bats

jkitsune

Reaction score
Atradees":3l85lr1f said:
mbtitleist":3l85lr1f said:

Yeah. Hate to see that happen, but fortunately it sounds like it's not terribly serious. Should be back to baseball in mid/late April. Both players are really exciting.

I just wish it was 4/4 already. Hurry up, March!

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
Atradees":3evagacy said:
mbtitleist":3evagacy said:

I guess that makes the decision easy for them. Losing the chance at the job to injury.. bummer for Taylor.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
I was a all state baseball player back in the day and have loved the game my entire life, been a ms fan since I was a kid. I have not seen more then 10 games in the last 4 years. mainly because I am crazy busy and do not have cable, also because I was disgusted with how the team was being run, not being competitive for 10+ years was simply not ok with me. With that being said can you guys give me the cliff notes version on our current team?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ambrose83":28guugrt said:
I was a all state baseball player back in the day and have loved the game my entire life, been a ms fan since I was a kid. I have not seen more then 10 games in the last 4 years. mainly because I am crazy busy and do not have cable, also because I was disgusted with how the team was being run, not being competitive for 10+ years was simply not ok with me. With that being said can you guys give me the cliff notes version on our current team?
If they stay healthy they should contend for the World Series. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.