Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2vopq205 said:
Uncle Si":2vopq205 said:
where do you see that Felix lost it because of one bad start in September?

Point is, statistically the two are 1 and 1a. I think Felix shouldve got it. I also believe Grienke should have got it the year Felix did.

This was the discussion all over radio and twitter yesterday. Rosenthal basically admitted that is why he voted for Kluber.

Havent seen that. stupid of true, but I suppose it indicates just how close the two were

Atradees

Reaction score
Accourding the Times we are shopping Miller, Taylor and Saunders and Im guessing we have a few partime pitchers as bait as well. We supposedly are all in with Ramirez. Mets need a shortstop.

I beleive the Mariners are in a great position to improve. Lots of bullets......now ......spend!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Atradees":ooz5kssn said:
Accourding the Times we are shopping Miller, Taylor and Saunders and Im guessing we have a few partime pitchers as bait as well. We supposedly are all in with Ramirez. Mets need a shortstop.

I beleive the Mariners are in a great position to improve. Lots of bullets......now ......spend!

Not shopping Miller and Taylor, would be one or the other.

OP
OP
D

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Am I the only one who finds it hard to believe the M's are actually shopping Iwakuma? He was their #2 best pitcher behind Felix last year.

I guess we'll have to see what offers they get. I just hope they don't give up a lot of defense this year. I think the M's will suck if they start trading defense for offense, I really do. Hopefully Jack Z knows what he's doing(But I'm sure he does anyway)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2yn9tmjo said:
Am I the only one who finds it hard to believe the M's are actually shopping Iwakuma? He was their #2 best pitcher behind Felix last year.

I guess we'll have to see what offers they get. I just hope they don't give up a lot of defense this year. I think the M's will suck if they start trading defense for offense, I really do. Hopefully Jack Z knows what he's doing(But I'm sure he does anyway)

I dont think they are shopping him, (as much as teams maybe have approached them) but he is due a significant increase over the next two years (I believe) and is 33. Maybe they feel they can get better

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I like the idea of shopping Kuma. Excellent pitcher, probably at his peak value.

No Billy Butler, please.

I like the idea of Hanley Ramirez, Nelson Cruz, and Adam LaRoche.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SonicHawk":owlyhgyo said:
I like the idea of shopping Kuma. Excellent pitcher, probably at his peak value.

No Billy Butler, please.

I like the idea of Hanley Ramirez, Nelson Cruz, and Adam LaRoche.

The new rumor this morning was Kuma for Cespedes, although it's hard to believe the Sox would trade a player they traded their best pitcher for for 33 year old #2 or #3 starter that had a rough last couple months.

But if true? I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
A typical Mariners move would be to sign Nelson Cruz. Because it always seems like they sign guys a year too late and then they are stuck paying them to suck. I will cheer loudly if he signs elsewhere.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...-three-year-30-million-deal-oakland-athletics

Billy Butler has agreed to terms with our division rival... Oakland Athletics.

Cespedes would be nice if the rumor is true. I hope the market doesn't dry up completely and we are stuck going dumpster diving like when we signed Hart and Morrison.

At least Morrison came on late last in the season. Hart was such a terrible signing!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawksfanatik":1l573t02 said:
Cespedes would be nice if the rumor is true. I hope the market doesn't dry up completely and we are stuck going dumpster diving like when we signed Hart and Morrison.!

Of course it will, this is Seattle. The only way we get good position players is if we overpay. Figgins, Beltre, Cano.........overpaid, overpaid and overpaid.

Which is fine with me, Jack has plenty of money to overspend. The problem is he doesn't LIKE to overspend, which is why all we ever hear is "Seattle is interested, or in the conversation." But we hardly ever get the player, unless we give him 250M.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ls0f7w2 said:
Hawksfanatik":2ls0f7w2 said:
Cespedes would be nice if the rumor is true. I hope the market doesn't dry up completely and we are stuck going dumpster diving like when we signed Hart and Morrison.!

Of course it will, this is Seattle. The only way we get good position players is if we overpay. Figgins, Beltre, Cano.........overpaid, overpaid and overpaid.

Which is fine with me, Jack has plenty of money to overspend. The problem is he doesn't LIKE to overspend, which is why all we ever hear is "Seattle is interested, or in the conversation." But we hardly ever get the player, unless we give him 250M.

He doesnt like to overspend, but just signed a player to $250 million contract. Cant make it up (almost as good as "Good position players= Chone Figgins")

Anyways, we did not overpay for Beltre, his market value the year after he signed was far in excess. But this is the issue with the Mariners. Perspective leans towards the negative, even when they just completed a very solid year and are poised by most experts to compete for the division title.

Billy Butler was not a necessity. (Cespedes would be nice, but is that the best we can do for Kuma?) the way this Mariners organization has worked the one thing we do know is that what they want or what they are working on will not be something you see in "MLB Rumors". The team struggles to sign big name players, according to the media. But outside of being turned down by Hamilton we cant truly say the Mariners have failed in a pursuit, such as how they keep their business. (and every team misses out on players).

The M's will be very active, and I imagine it will be in trade. The free agent market is very weak this year, and looking to be very strong next. I can see a rental player or two being brought in for a year, and possibly one or two other "name" that fill needs.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I would love to see the M's make another run at Justin Upton. Since he took the Mariners off his no-trade list, I wonder if we could get him now. Atlanta is selling off some pieces this offseason, and Upton has been rumored to be on the block as well.

He would fill a need in our OF and be a legitimate threat with the bat in the lineup.

Last time Z was willing to give up Walker and Franklin to get him. I wouldn't mind giving up one of our young pitchers and Taylor to get him this time.

OP
OP
D

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks the M's will be making baseball headlines soon? I don't know when, but soon.It just feels like that. We haven't heard much from them lately.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":p4dvj2yz said:
He doesnt like to overspend, but just signed a player to $250 million contract. Cant make it up (almost as good as "Good position players= Chone Figgins").

Yes every 5-6 years we open up the wallet and go crazy on ONE free agent.

But we needed 2-3 bats last year, not one. If you're gonna sign Cano, why the hell wouldn't you give Nelson Cruz the extra 1-2M he was looking for or the two year deal Morales wanted?

It's the little things like this that drive me F'ing crazy as an M's fan. It's like the FO doesn't even care about competing for a World Series, they just want to placate the masses and be ALMOST competitive.

IMO this club won't ever turn the corner until there's new ownership and the tweedle dee and tweedle dumb duo of Lincoln and Armstrong are finally gone.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":10rifdj3 said:
Uncle Si":10rifdj3 said:
He doesnt like to overspend, but just signed a player to $250 million contract. Cant make it up (almost as good as "Good position players= Chone Figgins").

But we needed 2-3 bats last year, not one. If you're gonna sign Cano, why the hell wouldn't you give Nelson Cruz the extra 1-2M he was looking for or the two year deal Morales wanted?

It's the little things like this that drive me F'ing crazy as an M's fan. It's like the FO doesn't even care about competing for a World Series, they just want to placate the masses and be ALMOST competitive.

IMO this club won't ever turn the corner until there's new ownership and the tweedle dee and tweedle dumb duo of Lincoln and Armstrong are finally gone.
I agree for the most part. ......FYI though, Armstromg is gone, Howie is still there though.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":375b4ur1 said:
Sgt. Largent":375b4ur1 said:
Uncle Si":375b4ur1 said:

I agree for the most part. ......FYI though, Armstromg is gone, Howie is still there though.

Unfortunately Lincoln is the main problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.