Mariners trade for Teoscar Hernandez

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score

Sounds like a damn good addition, and he's a good hitter. They have him for 2 years minimum. Needed another outfielder. I like it.
This team needed more offense, this is a good start.

Echawks

Reaction score
Interesting.. doesn’t look good for keeping mitch

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Listening to the scouting report on Hernandez, kid can flat out rake. Shannon Drayer thinks that it's likely Marco or Flexin as part of the deal. Hope they take Winker with them :)

update: Mariners send to Toronto - Eric Swanson and prospect Adam Macko.

Wow, this looks like a hell of a deal for the M's, yet again. Dipoto is in a zone the last couple years imo. Early reviews are that they fleeced Toronto.
How fitting since we fleeced them in the playoffs.

Last edited:

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
terrible trade. swanson alone is worth more than hernandez. and we threw in macko?

desperation.

it's too bad we have the worst ownership in all of sports.

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He was also a Silver Slugger, and a hell of an outfielder, crushes the ball. GREAT trade. The prospect has been injured, a lot. The team just got better.
People who ACTUALLY KNOW BASEBALL are calling this a flat out steal. I'll go ahead and trust their opinions.

Last edited:

ivotuk

Reaction score
Don't understand why anyone would want to give up Kelenic who is only 23 and has shown some real flashes at the plate. Plus, his defense has been outstanding. All he needs to do is bring his MiLB AVG to the Majors.
AB R H HR RBI SB AVG OBP OPS
1140 209 336 56 204 50 .295 .369 .909

Bring back Mitch, and I'm kind of "meh" on Winker. If he can bounce back to his All Star stats, he'd be a keeper as a DH. Winker's career AVG is 270 and his career OPS is 836

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
REALLY hope they somehow move on from Winker. He might be the worst outfielder we have seen on this team, and that's saying a lot.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I liked Eric Swanson, but like Jeff Passan says, "Seattle has done a truly excellent job over the last two years of growing relief arms. And: "traded from a strength to get Teoscar Hernández for next season."

ivotuk

Reaction score

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Just a case of in house contenders helping each other..

sutz

Reaction score
Don't understand why anyone would want to give up Kelenic who is only 23 and has shown some real flashes at the plate. Plus, his defense has been outstanding. All he needs to do is bring his MiLB AVG to the Majors.
AB R H HR RBI SB AVG OBP OPS
1140 209 336 56 204 50 .295 .369 .909

Bring back Mitch, and I'm kind of "meh" on Winker. If he can bounce back to his All Star stats, he'd be a keeper as a DH. Winker's career AVG is 270 and his career OPS is 836
JK needs a fresh start somewhere. He's had 3 tries in the majors with us and it's been mostly meh at the plate. If we can get something for him in a trade I'm all in.

Agree about Mitch and Wink. Apparently Wink was injured all season, so if he gets fixed maybe he gets back to his career average, which would be good. I think he's just an average defensive OF at best though. We have prospects coming up I'd rather spend time on.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
From all accounts I've read, Winker is on his way out, probably paired with Flexon or Marcos.

I seriously doubt they are going to get anyone worth what the M's deem JK is worth and I'm thinking he might just stay as a 4th OF/floater/defensive replacement.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard reports about Wink as well. He's under contract for next year, so now would be a good time to move him if we can. Kind of have an emotional attachment to Marco and Flex, but they could both be valuable chips to trade for more offensive help. We do still have some promising prospects coming up, but probably not anything that will help a lot in '23.

I'd try to move JK, even if we only get another minor leaguer with upside for him. Hell, I'd be good with releasing him if he's taking roster space from someone who actually produces runs. He was supposed to be what Julio actually turned into. Disappointing.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
You spelled Aaron Judge wrong.

Good deal, got a good player for little cost, only wish they could have traded Marco and Winker, maybe they still will.

Glad they didn’t trade Flex though.

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Free Agency is just starting, and this is a hell of a start. Seems like every time they make a trade, someone immediately comes out with "they should have done x instead"

Not really how it works and it's not reality. Can only do one trade at a time. This helps the offense immediately.
Couldn't agree more on BP Marco and can't catch a cold in the outfield Winker. Please move them.

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I didn't know that about his arm, thx for sharing. Good to hear. When they asked the GM why they traded for him, he says "because he hits the ball REALLY HARD"

Love it

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Lol trolling? We just traded a reliever for a plus plus outfielder
no. you're sipping copium being fed to you.

Bye bye swanson

the general manager (dipoto) is solid+. the manager is solid+. but the ownership refuses to spend money in the free agent market outside of a couple outliers every few years. it's the #1 reason (not the only) we went 21 YEARS straight w/o playoffs. they're cheapskates that only view the mariners as a cash cow. they have a monopoly over NW market, and won't open up the checkbook. moneyball, but with no reason to play moneyball besides profit.

dipoto does what he can given the constraints. he's a magician... sometimes. dipoto traded from a position of strength, which makes sense given those constraints. but make no mistake, this move was a concession and a signal to the real fans that they will be beta's this offseason spending money, despite now being the most sense to go spend money to fill vacant holes.

it's sad, because fans show up in droves when they are a winner. attendance=$.

Last edited:

Latest posts