Mario Williams released by the BIlls

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I would love Mario, I think he was very misused over the years by Buffalo, especially in a 3-4. That said, someone with a boat load of cap space will pay Mario. Supposedly the Giants really want him and I'm sure all the teams with cap room to spare have a hole on their defense to fill with Mario.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3aifaxat said:
It's harder to get guys to sign cheap deals for a chance at the SB when you didn't make the SB.

That's terrible logic. Seattle has been to the divisional round of the playoffs the last 4 years. The only other teams that can claim that are New England and Denver. It's painfully obvious the Seahawks are a SB contender, even if they didn't make it for a 3rd straight year.

Conversely, a lot of athletes want to get paid too. Seattle can't offer that. At least not to the extent that other teams can. That's a greater hurdle to overcome than convincing a veteran that we're a contender.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
titan3131":q473dsx8 said:
I think its very realistic that he becomes a hawk. on a 1-2 year prove it deal.

It's a lot of things.. realistic isn't one of them. Julius Peppers was 34 when the Bears cut him.. and he still got 3/30 from Green Bay.

Seattle isn't signing him barring Williams flat taking a big pay cut to do so.

kearly

Reaction score
If it happens, it feels like DeMarcus Ware getting cut by Dallas all over again. Ware obviously did pretty well in Denver, proving that he wasn't married to scheme.

Williams won't be cheap, but I'd like to see Seattle in on the action if the Bills do release him at some point.

Hasselbeck":w3yee25l said:

Seattle's cap situation isn't actually all that tight. Lynch, Okung, and Irvin are all sizable deals coming off the books, and all of them could be gone. There's also a huge amount of dead money (Harvin, etc) coming off the books. It went from something like $10 million in dead money last year to $3 million this year. Spotrac currently estimates $29 million in space, though I think it might actually be a little more since these services habitually under-estimate annual cap growth.

If even more money is needed, Seattle could trade Graham to offload his contract, or they could trade whichever pass rusher Ware replaces. If they really needed cash, maybe Kam is dealt.

Even if they truly didn't have any money, they could always play games with the contracts to push the expense into future caps and take advantage of the NFL's recent swell in annual cap raises. This is how Denver kept signing guys to big deals with seemingly no money, and it got them a Lombardi.

But yeah, it's a great point that JS tends to land Honda Civics in FA. There is evidence to suggest that he chases after the premium FA's too, but tends to bow out unless he can get a good deal.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Just send Russell, Sweezy, and Hauschka to sweet talk him into coming, as they all went to NC State. Mario also prefers low key to big city bright lights. Buffalo was a welcome break from Houston. Essentially, he's a country boy. He's not married and has no children, so he has fewer things that limit him moving cross country.

Obviously none of that means anything, if he wants something the Hawks can't provide financially. He's a physical freak, but his strength is in his all around game (run stopper and pressure). He's not an elite rusher. He prefers being on the edge in a 4-3, where he can focus on what's in front. Not that great in dropping, when he's been used almost like a LB. Strong enough to play inside, but again...is better on the edge. Has speed, but not the quick burst you see in Bennett and Avril. Very strong at the point of attack, but has limited number of moves against a blocker.

DJrmb

Reaction score
kearly":18oo06po said:
If it happens, it feels like DeMarcus Ware getting cut by Dallas all over again. Ware obviously did pretty well in Denver, proving that he wasn't married to scheme.

Williams won't be cheap, but I'd like to see Seattle in on the action if the Bills do release him at some point.

Hasselbeck":18oo06po said:

Seattle's cap situation isn't actually all that tight. Lynch, Okung, and Irvin are all sizable deals coming off the books, and all of them could be gone. There's also a huge amount of dead money (Harvin, etc) coming off the books. It went from something like $10 million in dead money last year to $3 million this year. Spotrac currently estimates $29 million in space, though I think it might actually be a little more since these services habitually under-estimate annual cap growth.

If even more money is needed, Seattle could trade Graham to offload his contract, or they could trade whichever pass rusher Ware replaces. If they really needed cash, maybe Kam is dealt.

Even if they truly didn't have any money, they could always play games with the contracts to push the expense into future caps and take advantage of the NFL's recent swell in annual cap raises. This is how Denver kept signing guys to big deals with seemingly no money, and it got them a Lombardi.

But yeah, it's a great point that JS tends to land Honda Civics in FA. There is evidence to suggest that he chases after the premium FA's too, but tends to bow out unless he can get a good deal.

You can add Mebane, Cary Williams, Ahtyba Rubin, Kearse, and Fred Jackson to that list of players coming off the books. This front office has really done a masterful job of playing Tetris with the different contracts and bonuses and we really aren't in as tight of a cap situation this year as what some may think.

I don't think anyone is suggesting an unrealistic 5m/year type of pay-cut for Williams to come here for the chance to win a championship. However there is no reason why Seattle couldn't fit 3/30m in our current structure, and that's proven enough to nab this exact type of player in this exact type of situation in the recent past in Peppers and Ware. We were Very very close to adding a similar contract to bring in Jared Allen not long ago. To completely count us out on this would be imprudent.

Largent80

Reaction score
So he got released. Every friggin person that gets released is a hawk in this forum. Not going to happen girlies.

six sigma

Reaction score
Mario's a terrific player and all, but we do have Frank Clark? I'd just as soon see where things go with him rotating in and spend the big dollars elsewhere.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
If the seahawks have a chance to add MW at a decent contract for two years then it is a no brainer.

He would be a different player on this team.

DJrmb

Reaction score
six sigma":1jczzq2f said:
Mario's a terrific player and all, but we do have Frank Clark? I'd just as soon see where things go with him rotating in and spend the big dollars elsewhere.

Definitely love Clark. That was a great draft pick IMHO and I'm not discounting him in the mix. We are in all likeliness losing Irvin to FA though and we'll need to add a pass rusher somewhere. Williams would just add to the rotation of Bennett, Avril, and Clark. It also allows you to put all 4 on the field at once on obvious passing downs, our version of the Nascar formation.

kearly

Reaction score
Williams is still a member of the Bills as of this moment.

But it seems like a split will very likely happen. Reports are that he quit on Rex Ryan and blamed Ryan's scheme for the lack of production. The Bills will save $12.9 million this season by releasing him. It's likely that they are shopping him right now.

If he gets released, he would fit Schneider's MO like a glove. High upside player on a short term deal. Wouldn't cost a comp pick to sign, etc.

McGruff

Reaction score
I'd rather take a flyer on Quinton Coples. Younger, cheaper, and it would be nice to see him full time with his hand in the dirt.

jasonnorin

Reaction score
The twitter account is fake. The owner of the fake account knows how to play around with characters. This time, he played around the upper case "i" and lower case "L" in "@caplannfl".

Basis4day

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/704722705426337792[/tweet]

titan3131

Reaction score
This is the 1 FA that I think we need. As long as he is on a short term prove it style deal like Cliff did we need to make this happen.

Im tired of hoping we can draft a good leo. We need someone that can get pressure consistently.

Basis4day

Reaction score
titan3131":2ib2opmq said:
This is the 1 FA that I think we need. As long as he is on a short term prove it style deal like Cliff did we need to make this happen.

Is edge rush the FA position of need? I'm not going to be crying if the hawks do end up signing him but there are other larger areas of concern going into FA.

titan3131

Reaction score
Basis4day":18ugwoxh said:
titan3131":18ugwoxh said:

Is edge rush the FA position of need? I'm not going to be crying if the hawks do end up signing him but there are other larger areas of concern going into FA.

Yes, the less we have to move Mike B around, the more we can keep him in the interior where we need PASS RUSH.

we had to have him on the edge because we had irvin who was weak pass rush and Marsh or new clark who is still developing.

MW/ Frank / Mike B / Avril is the new nascar package.

Maybe add a Feeny for a wild card Lb / nickel blitz

pehawk

Reaction score
titan3131":1c7iin20 said:
Basis4day":1c7iin20 said:
titan3131":1c7iin20 said:

Yes, the less we have to move Mike B around, the more we can keep him in the interior where we need PASS RUSH.

we had to have him on the edge because we had irvin who was weak pass rush and Marsh or new clark who is still developing.

MW/ Frank / Mike B / Avril is the new nascar package.

Maybe add a Feeny for a wild card Lb / nickel blitz

Man that'd be a hellish front four.

Latest posts