Our DT / DI

toffee

Reaction score
I was a bit surprised and disappointed by the Leonard Williams trade initially, now I am feeling great after reading informative posts by you guys.

Beefy dudes:
We now have three 300 pounder that can play all positions on DL, Reed, Williams, and Adams. Yes, Adams has beefed up to over 300 pounds. Including Cam Young, we have four 300 pounders.

"Smaller" dudes:
Jones, and Mario Edwards. Both played well, especially Mario, surprisingly well.

Total pressure (per PFF)
Mario - 13
Jones - 19
Williams - 22
Reed - 21
Adams - 5

That's 80 pressures from DL in 7 games, or 11 per game. If the opposing offense average 50 snaps per game. That's 1 out of 5 just from our fat boys.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Just for fun, I switched over from PFF to PFR on QB pressures:

Our DIs:
Reed 11 + Jone 10 + Adams 5 + Edwards 2 + Young 1 + Williams 8 = 37 pressures

Just for reference, the entire defense of 49ers had 88 pressures, I think they played one extra game. Philly? 95! Us? 76 that is before Williams.

PFF is very generous in comparison to PFR

Reed 21 + Jones 19 + Adams 5 + Edwards 13 + Young 2 + Williams 22 = 82 pressure

From DI only: SF 71, Philly 74,

Last edited:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Honestly and this might be just how my brain puts things in perspective.

If Seahawks traded for Williams in the off-season for like a 2023 3rd and a 2024 6th and not signed DreMont Jones to that contract but instead had extended Williams with that money. I think the majority of us would have been fine with that trade as y’all were banging the drum non-stop for a quality DL and big time interior presence all off-season.

Sure having to give up a 2nd and 5th round pick, sucks, yet we not only had to outbid other teams but fit him into our cap situation.

But for now in the short-term we got Williams and Jones and the potential to field a dominant defense with play-makers on all levels. We obviously spun that 3rd rounder into a 2024 3rd Rounder plus Anthony Bradford at #108 whom I would have been fine with at #81.

So I can’t get to down on this trade, I felt the Seahawk might make a move for DL since Mike Morris looked like he was going to be shelved. In no way did I see them being fine with that rotation as is, it’s a long season and injuries and fatigue have to smartly be mitigated. My target was John Franklin Myers who is more like a Jones or Edwards where as I see Williams more like Reed.

But there is so much to like about Williams if you get over the cost of getting him and the fact he’s not under contract after this season.

Big Cat is almost 6-5, seen him listed from 291 to 300, 34 5/8 inch Arms that makes him hard to handle against interior linemen, almost 83 inch Wing Span. Can pretty much play any tech from 0 to 5, experienced in 3-4 and 4-3, solid run defender that is active in pursuit and on the tackle, and most importantly he can not only penetrate on the inside giving the Seahawks much more stability and depth but with his elite length he has the ability to disrupt passing lanes in the middle of the defense and tip some passes.

This is a big time get and big time boon for a DLine that needed another quality defender in the rotation to help it survive the season. It’s also great for the LBers and the edge rushers having another DL they can potentially trust to help keep them clean or win in the interior and make their jobs easier.

If you want to hate or dislike the trade from a fan perspective that’s fine and understandable considering the cost.

But from a player perspective, I doubt anyone in that front 7 are viewing it negatively like some are viewing it in all the other threads. They probably are all pumped and jacked and saying “Thank You, Jesus” with Love and Adams being the first to welcome Williams with open arms.