Matt Flynn's future

Status
Not open for further replies.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":10f4a0ob said:
You're not doing the math correctly dude :141847_bnono: :141847_bnono: :141847_bnono: :141847_bnono: :141847_bnono: :141847_bnono: IF those 15 had all started the SAME Year, you're 47% would be correct, but, when you go with 15 over a 5 Year period, the number is 145 ,,that's 5 Years x 32 teams minus your 15, your percentage drops drastically, and in fact would factor down to 3 per Year :16:

Despite our disagreement on the "math"....... if you use your same math to add up the QBs over the last 5 years that sat a year to start the next....you will see the NORM is they put the QB in season 1 and don't sit him. :141847_bnono: :141847_bnono: How many QBs over that 5 year period were drafted, sat a year or two and then started the majority of their teams snaps? I await the list of QBs. :177692: :177692:

Let me help you....... 1 if you count Jake Locker (he has been injured this year). So what is the norm? 15 out of 32 NFL teams or 1 out of 32 NFL? I can list 15 players that started the majority of their teams snaps their rookie year, while I can only name 1 QB that sat out a year or even 2 years over the last 5 years to start for their team the following year. If you still insist the math says its the norm over the last 5 years for QB's to sit a year then start .... I would REALLY like to see that. No matter how you decide to do the math.... 15QBs is a larger number than 1QB.

Pretty clear that in todays NFL teams believe QBs are ready out of college to start....it also says they have accepted that you learn by starting. Its ok to be wrong. Just don't insist you are right when clear evidence is shown that you are unable to disprove.[/quote]
I have disproven your assertion that starting a Rookie QB is the norm over the last 5 years, that averages 3 rookies per Year being starters in the NFL, so it hasn't been "THE NORM", in fact, the opposit is true.
And I don't give a $hit about your other arguement, because it isn't pertinent to facts that I have shown, so keep waiting, but don't hold your breath.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Mexhawk

That's actually a very good point and I hadn't really thought about it but it makes sense. Pete did the same kind of thing in the Browns game last year when there was a big controversy between Jackson and Whitehurst. Whitehurst dramatically outplayed Jackson in preseason and then stepped in the NY game trailing and gave us our only come from behind win of the season. The next game Charlie was given the start but mysteriously the injury that Lynch had played with all year suddenly held him out of the game and I also thought the play calling in that game was suspicious.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Whitehurst apologist and believe he is pretty much a worthless QB but I felt the same about Jackson and still do. It is why I said back in December if we get a FA QB and draft a QB, Jackson won't make the 53 man roster. I do think the FO places a ton of emphasis on work ethic and leadership of which Jackson was hands down stronger at both than Charlie and I also believe the FO didn't want Whitehurst to outshine Jackson again in regular season play because it would make the FO look like they don't know what they are doing and also fuel a QB controversy.

I am leaning toward the thought that there really was no competition once they secured Wilson in the draft. I think they wanted to start him all along and all they needed to see was a few reps to confirm to them he could play at this level. Even then Flynn was considered the front runner through TC and into preseason. Virtually every report we read said as much and even the Wilson just looks like a rookie.

I thought it was a little strange that Flynn played against two good defenses and was forced to throw to guys like TO and it appeared they asked him to try and feed TO the ball, which inevitably was his down fall. Then they bring in Wilson against a KC defense not only known for poor secondary play but also missing 75% of it's starters.

It kind of smells like a set up. Maybe there is a personality flaw in Flynn that Philben wasn't banging down the doors for him or maybe Miami was just hell bent on drafting Tannehill. Who knows but Pete and John were openly in love with Wilson the day he stepped into Seattle and they were vocal about it.

I have no doubt that Flynn is more prepared to be a starter right now and is also the better QB at this time. I do believe that Pete wanted to go with the guy he wanted to have hear long term and maybe was worried that if Flynn was successful then making the transition to Wilson would be hard to sell to the public not to mention if Wilson then failed to become a good QB and Flynn left, ultimately it would undermined the FO and probably lead to his departure.

HawkWow

Reaction score
MexHawk":3p6dil11 said:
I'm going to give my 2 cents, but before, let me say that I'm behind Wilson since the day PC named him the starter, and I want to see him succeed sooner than later.

However, I feel bad about Flynn, because I don't think the competition was fair. I watched every preseason game, and I think that Wilson benefited with a totally different play calling than the one Flynn had. I saw the same kind of ridiculous (very conservative) play calling in the games where Flynn was the starter, as the one we saw in the first couple of Wilson games. Wilson looked equally terrible than Flynn did in those games because of play calling.

What´s done is done, and I totally support Russell, but I feel bad for Flynn and I blame the OC for what happened here with the QB situation.

^ This is what I have been saying all along. In fact, I was in a mini-argument this morning defending Wilson, but I do not think they playing field was even, unless, as I stated earlier, Wilson won the job..OFF the field. I maintain my belief, and shre yours, he didn't win it during the pre-season games we all witnessed. A previous poster made the bold statement (I para-phrase) that "if Flynn held back, he deserved to lose the starting job".

What?

Flynn obviously held back and not because "he felt the job was his". I sincerely doubt he immediately went into cruise mode and began basking in future league MVP glory. No. He likely held back because of Pete's obsession with ball control and game management. Let us not forget, it was these same offensive numbnuts, Pete and Bevell, doing the playcalling then too. If anything, Flynn played tight and probably fearful he would lose the job, not because he felt it was sewn up.

I believe the same poster commented Flynn losing the nod "was no conspiracy". How do you know there was no conspiracy to ultimately start Wilson over Flynn? All evidence to me, suggests there was. But do understand, I am 100% behind Wilson. I want there to be an actual "competition" next year, but this year, barring calamity, I am down with RW.

HawkWow

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3vbta7av said:
Mexhawk

That's actually a very good point and I hadn't really thought about it but it makes sense. Pete did the same kind of thing in the Browns game last year when there was a big controversy between Jackson and Whitehurst. Whitehurst dramatically outplayed Jackson in preseason and then stepped in the NY game trailing and gave us our only come from behind win of the season. The next game Charlie was given the start but mysteriously the injury that Lynch had played with all year suddenly held him out of the game and I also thought the play calling in that game was suspicious.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Whitehurst apologist and believe he is pretty much a worthless QB but I felt the same about Jackson and still do. It is why I said back in December if we get a FA QB and draft a QB, Jackson won't make the 53 man roster. I do think the FO places a ton of emphasis on work ethic and leadership of which Jackson was hands down stronger at both than Charlie and I also believe the FO didn't want Whitehurst to outshine Jackson again in regular season play because it would make the FO look like they don't know what they are doing and also fuel a QB controversy.

I am leaning toward the thought that there really was no competition once they secured Wilson in the draft. I think they wanted to start him all along and all they needed to see was a few reps to confirm to them he could play at this level. Even then Flynn was considered the front runner through TC and into preseason. Virtually every report we read said as much and even the Wilson just looks like a rookie.

I thought it was a little strange that Flynn played against two good defenses and was forced to throw to guys like TO and it appeared they asked him to try and feed TO the ball, which inevitably was his down fall. Then they bring in Wilson against a KC defense not only known for poor secondary play but also missing 75% of it's starters.

It kind of smells like a set up. Maybe there is a personality flaw in Flynn that Philben wasn't banging down the doors for him or maybe Miami was just hell bent on drafting Tannehill. Who knows but Pete and John were openly in love with Wilson the day he stepped into Seattle and they were vocal about it.

I have no doubt that Flynn is more prepared to be a starter right now and is also the better QB at this time. I do believe that Pete wanted to go with the guy he wanted to have hear long term and maybe was worried that if Flynn was successful then making the transition to Wilson would be hard to sell to the public not to mention if Wilson then failed to become a good QB and Flynn left, ultimately it would undermined the FO and probably lead to his departure.

It's nice to see sanity enter the equation now and again. Nice post. Thanks.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Good point on winning the job off the field, I believe that also. Flynn went 11 of 13 in game one of preseason. Sure his yards per attempt were low but that makes sense given game one and all and in game two how many drives did TO kill? What if McCoy doesn't drop a perfect 3rd down pass that would have been a conversion? He still went 5 of 7 including that drop minus the TO experiment and that long TD pass TO dropped was a thing of beauty.

Consider that and his two live game performances and it is hard to really think Flynn just sucks.

That said, I don't want to see a competition again next year. Pete has made his decision and we are now heavily invested in it. I hope there is no need for further competition. I hope the Wilson becomes the QB we all hope he can and the team is still dominate when that time does happen.
I still believe we would have had a better chance to win now with Flynn but that time has passed. Hopefully it works out because it is to late to go back now.

Status
Not open for further replies.