Matt Flynn's perceived value

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Matt Flynn's perceived value around the league is "not as high as many people think."
Flynn's name has come up in trade speculation, but only the Dolphins and Seahawks were "mildly" interested in Flynn last offseason, and he didn't play in 2012. So he didn't have an opportunity to show his wares as a potential NFL starter. Most likely, Flynn will be back for one more season in Seattle. He's owed a $5.25 million base salary in 2013, $2 million of which is guaranteed.

Bipolar

Reaction score
I would love to keep Matt Flynn around for at least one more year.

We are blessed two have two real good quality quarterbacks, and we will not skip a beat in case the shit hits the fan.

Sucks for Matt Flynn though, although he is still making good money.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I would love Flynn back for insurance. But there's no need to feel sorry for a guy who has a model for a wife and is a multi-millionaire. :D

m0ng0

Reaction score
Bipolar":1om5v58b said:
I would love to keep Matt Flynn around for at least one more year.

We are blessed two have two real good quality quarterbacks, and we will not skip a beat in case the shit hits the fan.

Sucks for Matt Flynn though, although he is still making good money.

yep

kidhawk

Reaction score
Aros":2ydseuhi said:
I would love Flynn back for insurance. But there's no need to feel sorry for a guy who has a model for a wife and is a multi-millionaire. :D

:13:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I would too but if the Jets or some team like that offer you a great offer you'd be stupid to turn it down.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I think that's a little premature for Schefter to say. There are a lot of franchises getting new GM's and head coaches right now and once the dust settles and the new leadership builds their franchise plan, I would imagine quite a few are going to want to find a better QB option than they currently have.

Jacksonville, KC, Buffalo, Oakland, Arizona come to mind other than the "obvious" ones.

The draft is not great for QB's this year.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I think (and hope) we'll retain him on the roster next year. We've finally got ourselves a great 1-2 tandem at quarterback; there's no sense messing that up, especially for the money spent at that position.

That said, Flynn's "perceived value" will be much higher this year than last. He's done nothing to hurt his stock, and the quarterback prospects are a lot thinner this year than last.

piston bully

Reaction score
Hes worked his butt off His whole life with the dream of becoming a STARTER in the NFL.Countless hours of hard work and sweat.If it was about the money he would have never achieved the level of play he is at now.As a former Athlete on a national level and put in the work it takes I can assure you he wants and deserves his shot to shine on the stage.I hope he gets it,hes earned it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I disagree with that assessment. The 2013 draft is one of the worst QB drafts ever, add in the fact that the QB free agent market is also terrible for 2013.

There will be 5-6 QB desperate teams knocking on Seattle's door this off season to talk about Flynn. The good news is Carroll and Schneider don't have to do anything unless the price is right...........and my guess is the price will be at least a 2nd round pick, or a 3rd and 4th. Something to that effect.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The 2013 is not one of the worst QB drafts ever. This is group think based around the fact Luck/RGIII went one and two last year, with other guys coming to the party too. There are at least three logical first round quarterbacks and it could easily be a better year than 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007...

And we need to decide whether spending millions on Flynn (I think we can make a $4-5m saving by cutting him) is worth it, considering we can roll cap into 2014 to re-sign actual starters and might want to make one or two free agent signings.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3bc0b4rm said:
The 2013 is not one of the worst QB drafts ever. This is group think based around the fact Luck/RGIII went one and two last year, with other guys coming to the party too. There are at least three logical first round quarterbacks and it could easily be a better year than 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007....

You just wait and see how many teams trade down when the QB's are on the board. Barkley? Smith? Wilson from Arkansas? Not sure when the last time no QB was taken in the first 10-15 picks, but this might be the year.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33d8ld5d said:
You just wait and see how many teams trade down when the QB's are on the board. Barkley? Smith? Wilson from Arkansas? Not sure when the last time no QB was taken in the first 10-15 picks, but this might be the year.

But what is this analysis based on? A hunch? The negative publicity based around Lane Kiffin's pathetic job at USC? Or Bobby Petrino's scandal in Arkansas? Or the fact the WVU defense couldn't stop Ryan Lindley playing with one leg?

All three players are superior to Mark Sanchez, a top five pick. All three players are superior to Christian Ponder, a top-15 pick. All three players are superior to Jake Locker, a top ten pick. They all have a superior resume to Blaine Gabbert. What they aren't is Luck or Griffin III. And if people expect a QB class to compare to that every year, we'll not have a good QB class for another 20 years. People are overreacting to this class being a bad one. It's just not equal to 2012.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
um he did play in 2012...i think it was the AZ or Buff game or both..yeah he played. so this statement is false

Okungfu

Reaction score
Not to change the subject , but I live in Idaho and just wonder if with the Success of Wilson that maybe a guy like Kellen Moore sitting 3rd string in detriot may garner a look or two from some teams ?

I agree that if we could keep Flynn that would be ideal , but I don't see it . To get out of the contract and get a pick or 2 would be nice.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":1lk9ymwr said:
um he did play in 2012...i think it was the AZ or Buff game or both..yeah he played. so this statement is false

A few snaps in garbage time is not 'playing'.

And if Flynn's market is cold... I'm afraid to say it's still much warmer than Moore's! He's lucky to have enjoyed a year clipboard holding in DET.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm calling it right now... Flynn will be traded in a draft-day trade, allowing the Hawks too move up into either the top of the 2nd or the 1st round, wherein the Hawks will fill a position of relative need. More likely the 2nd round.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I agree with Schefter and English on this one. Last offseason, 2 teams were luke warm on Flynn and both teams actually allowed Flynn to leave without an offer. Miami, in fact, had his former coach who had an empty QB situation for his new gig. If Flynn was such a dynamo, I'm not terribly sure why a new HC would pin his hopes on a really raw 1st rounder, when he could have signed "his guy" for relatively cheap.

Now, I'm not saying Flynn is bad, but I think it's important to recognize that he's not exactly young, and he was already on the market and didn't cost any team draft capital. If we get a 4th or 5th rounder, I'd be inclined to pull the trigger and find a backup that better matches up with RWs skill set. IMO, there's a better chance of Flynn being cut, then there is a of getting a good draft pick for him (think R3-5).

Regarding this year's QB draft, it's not top heavy with sure fire studs a la Luck/RGIII (most year's never are), but there are some very nice options for teams in the first few rounds. The unfortunate part about the draft in general, is that it's very easy to lean on hindsight. If Aaron Rodgers/Matt Ryan/etc were such no brainers with no question marks, they go #1 overall. However, after they turn out to be studs, it's easy to simply say "well there's no Aaron Rodgers in this draft," when in fact, Rodgers obviously had enough perceived flaws that allowed him to fall. Best example of all is our own RW. So, there might not be Peyton Manning Jr available, but there are several QBs who bring something very nice to the table.

zayden185

Reaction score
Aros":1jp066jl said:

He's not terribly upset....gettin paid and laid...

Leave game rich and will all of his brain functionality!!

Living the dream!!

Latest posts