Max Kellerman on Seahawks

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
If its another season with the same results then I would say he's spot on.

sdog1981

Reaction score
So did the Colts with Manning and the Dolphins Marino. That's how the NFL works sometimes. Aside from Tom Brady, a case could be made that every NFL team in the free agency era has wasted their star QB's prime.

seabowl

Reaction score
Part coaching part Russ.
The coaching has been Marty Schottenheimer like in consistently getting to the playoffs but not enough to win it all at least in the last 6 years.
If Russ really wants to win then he should not seek top $ as he hurts the teams ability to pay top talent at other positions.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":3lndof80 said:
Part coaching part Russ.
The coaching has been Marty Schottenheimer like in consistently getting to the playoffs but not enough to win it all at least in the last 6 years.
If Russ really wants to win then he should not seek top $ as he hurts the teams ability to pay top talent at other positions.
The "Coaching" has p*ssed away consistency & Russell Wilson has undoubtedly pulled their fat out of the fire since he's come to Seattle with his athleticism...You be thinking that he should be taking less money, when they would likely NOT use the money to IMPROVE on the O-line 'PROTECTION' he really needs anyways?...Hell NO!, AND, The "Marty Schottenheimer" consistency getting to all those "Playoffs"?. yeah...That's because WITHOUT RUSSELL WILSON, THOSE "WINS" to the "PLAYOFFS" don't happen seabowl.
:roll:

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I think if Russ went to another team he would be the same exact player. He doesn’t like sitting in pockets and holds on to the ball to long. Hawks won’t be able to afford him next year when he sits out to get a bigger deal. Plus he doesn’t want to be in Seattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flv

Reaction score
I didn't watch the YouTube video. I'm not going to as I don't care what the people in it think.

The Seahawks have been consistent winners with Wilson at QB. The Bears weren't consistent winners with Walter Payton at RB. There are a lot of teams that have had star players. Few of them have been as successful during the regular season as the Seahawks have been.

Chapow

Reaction score
I guess my question is, how are we judging whether a QB's prime (or career) has been wasted or not?

Peyton Manning only won 1 Super Bowl with the Colts, did the Colts waste his prime/career?

Brett Favre only won 1 Super Bowl with the Packers, did the Packers waste his prime/career?

Drew Brees only won 1 Super Bowl with the Saints, did the Saints waste his prime/career?

Aaron Rodgers has only won 1 Super Bowl with the Packers, have the Packers wasted his prime/career?

Is the criteria that unless a QB has won multiple Super Bowls with a team, then that team has wasted that QB's prime/career and nothing else matters? Because if that is the case, every single team has wasted every single QB's career in the last 20 years with the only exceptions being Brady and the Patriots, Roethlisberger and the Steelers, and *gulp* Eli Manning and the Giants.

Also, P. Manning, Favre, Brees, and Rodgers are undoubtedly Hall of Fame QB's, and are almost certainly in the conversation for top ten, or at least top 20 greatest QB's of all time. So, we're saying these guys all had some of the best careers in the history of the NFL while at the same time their careers were wasted? I don't know, it's almost like maybe there might be other factors to consider besides just how many Super Bowls they won when deciding whether a QB's career has been wasted or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Carroll is a defensive-minded head coach with a history of picking middling coordinators.

He is the wrong fit for Wilson. But his ability to identify raw talent and use it to bring in new blood is underappreciated.

We are only in the playoffs because Carroll keeps finding guys that cost little but produce well.

The problem is that Carroll is average, if not below average, in tactics and strategy.

He is really a system builder. Not a strategist or tactician. But his system never knows where the new production will come from...so he tends to have problems filling holes.

Despite that, we can essentially pen in a wildcard game every year.

When Carroll leaves and we are no longer regularly going to playoff games, we are going to realize most teams don't get essentially a playoff guarantee for a decade.

Now, if Wilson was with another coach? More offensively focused?

He would probably reach the playoffs less but win more in the playoffs when he got there, kind of like the success Rodgers has had.

So is it better to go less but do better when you get there? or consistently be a lock, though always falling short in the division game?

Carroll leaves chips on the table. But we are only at the table every year because of his ability to build winning teams using draft picks and UDFAs most teams would struggle with.

getnasty

Reaction score
Chapow":3hqy2ldt said:
I guess my question is, how are we judging whether a QB's prime (or career) has been wasted or not?

Peyton Manning only won 1 Super Bowl with the Colts, did the Colts waste his prime/career?

Brett Favre only won 1 Super Bowl with the Packers, did the Packers waste his prime/career?

Drew Brees only won 1 Super Bowl with the Saints, did the Saints waste his prime/career?

Aaron Rodgers has only won 1 Super Bowl with the Packers, have the Packers wasted his prime/career?

Is the criteria that unless a QB has won multiple Super Bowls with a team, then that team has wasted that QB's prime/career and nothing else matters? Because if that is the case, every single team has wasted every single QB's career in the last 20 years with the only exceptions being Brady and the Patriots, Roethlisberger and the Steelers, and *gulp* Eli Manning and the Giants.

Also, P. Manning, Favre, Brees, and Rodgers are undoubtedly Hall of Fame QB's, and are almost certainly in the conversation for top ten, or at least top 20 greatest QB's of all time. So, we're saying these guys all had some of the best careers in the history of the NFL while at the same time their careers were wasted? I don't know, it's almost like maybe there might be other factors to consider besides just how many Super Bowls they won when deciding whether a QB's career has been wasted or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This.

Plus all of these QB'S happen to play at a time in which the greatest of all time happen to come through. Seattle hasn't wasted anything.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
getnasty":8q9qqkzm said:
Plus all of these QB'S happen to play at a time in which the greatest of all time happen to come through. Seattle hasn't wasted anything.

There have been some phenomenal QBS in the last two decades, haven't there? Manning, Brees, Brady, and Rogers. Some might put Ben and Eli there, too.

Russ, PC and the Hawks have been competitive and beaten them all, on the largest of stages. Yes, we've lost a few, as well.

Up-and-coming Mahomes, Allen, Hebert, others? I'll still take Russ.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Russ is on a hall of fame trajectory here, and if you consider that he is still in his low 30s than there's only one other QB in NFL history with a clearly better career. A player that is competing for the 2nd best career of all time is so clearly not being wasted that any arguments to that effect should start with "I know this sounds like nonsense, but..."

knownone

Reaction score
AgentDib":2sdujfdw said:
Russ is on a hall of fame trajectory here, and if you consider that he is still in his low 30s than there's only one other QB in NFL history with a clearly better career. A player that is competing for the 2nd best career of all time is so clearly not being wasted that any arguments to that effect should start with "I know this sounds like nonsense, but..."
I agree with your conclusion, but Russell is not currently in the conversation for 2nd best career of all time. For perspective, at the same age, Joe Montana had 3 Super Bowls rings, 2 Super Bowl MVPs, and a league MVP. Similarly, Peyton Manning already had 4 MVPs. The argument for Russ seems to be based solely on wins and efficiency, but that's not going to age well when young QBs like Mahomes are on pace to shatter those numbers.

Russ needs to make noise in the playoffs or reel off several more MVP-caliber seasons to get back into that conversation.

Tical21

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is wasting one of the best eras of coaching and GM collaboration the league has ever seen.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1guoqiq4 said:
Russell Wilson is wasting one of the best eras of coaching and GM collaboration the league has ever seen.

Nope. Sorry, it's a team approach. Russ, PC/JS, O-Coordinators, everyone works together in this game. Myopic vision leads to singling out scapegoats.

John63

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":35bgrtl9 said:
Tical21":35bgrtl9 said:

Nope. Sorry, it's a team approach. Russ, PC/JS, O-Coordinators, everyone works together in this game. Myopic vision leads to singling out scapegoats.

That's what he wants and he has only one scapegoat he wants to use.

John63

Reaction score
knownone":181kxtyx said:
AgentDib":181kxtyx said:
I agree with your conclusion, but Russell is not currently in the conversation for 2nd best career of all time. For perspective, at the same age, Joe Montana had 3 Super Bowls rings, 2 Super Bowl MVPs, and a league MVP. Similarly, Peyton Manning already had 4 MVPs. The argument for Russ seems to be based solely on wins and efficiency, but that's not going to age well when young QBs like Mahomes are on pace to shatter those numbers.

Russ needs to make noise in the playoffs or reel off several more MVP-caliber seasons to get back into that conversation.

Ahh he is in the conversation now. That said I agree he needs to stay on current trajectory or better bit there is nothing I have seen to say he will not.

themunn

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":fnymup5a said:
He would probably reach the playoffs less but win more in the playoffs when he got there, kind of like the success Rodgers has had.

Wilson has a better playoff record than Rodgers