Max Unger and 1st for Jimmy Graham and 4th round pick

kidhawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3m69nrqa said:
Looking at the tweets from the other olineman...............they do not seem too pleased with this transaction.

Which other Olinemen? Carpenter won't be here so that doesn't matter and Okung and Britt haven't said a peep.

samwize77

Reaction score
I'm good with this I guess. We need a few more options on offense. It would seem our focus for the remainder of FA and draft have changed. This is new to us fans, but not to Pete and John. They've had a plan for some time I'm sure. Always one step ahead of us fans. Still solid on defense and now, all things considered, better on offense. To what degree remains to be seen, but better I'd think.

12thbrah

Reaction score
I like it as it definitely makes the team more balanced on offense. Offensive line will need to be rebuilt of course with Carpenter gone also but good thing is we have the best scrambling QB in the league.

Basis4day

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":1y5v4udp said:
kidhawk":1y5v4udp said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/575388362200190976[/tweet]

Thank God for the urban dictionary...

Fade
to fight or deal with one appropriately.
"If someone steals from me, I'll have to show them the fade!"

It'll be interesting. Jimmy's got some enemies (soon to be frenemies?) in the locker room. He's always seemed like a jerk and a diva that expects to be forced the ball. Yay, another Percy.

Or it's a reference to their hair style.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I look at the trade like this. I think the Hawks looked at this draft and didn't see an answer at TE. With Thomas already signing with JAX, there was really nothing left. I think Seattle knew they can get a WR and Oline depth through the draft. So the only option left at TE was to trade for one.

And people are over-reacting to Unger leaving. He's been mediocre the last 2-3 years and you can almost count on him missing at least a quarter of the season to injury.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":1rmcinak said:
kidhawk":1rmcinak said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/575388362200190976[/tweet]

Thank God for the urban dictionary...

Fade
to fight or deal with one appropriately.
"If someone steals from me, I'll have to show them the fade!"

It'll be interesting. Jimmy's got some enemies (soon to be frenemies?) in the locker room. He's always seemed like a jerk and a diva that expects to be forced the ball. Yay, another Percy.

Exactly why my first reply in this thread was how interesting training camp should be.

Baldwin and Sherman are best of friends and they fight at training camp sometimes. Can you imagine what it's going to be like for Graham?

razgriz737

Reaction score
kidhawk":2fu9wh55 said:
Blitzer88":2fu9wh55 said:
Looking at the tweets from the other olineman...............they do not seem too pleased with this transaction.

Which other Olinemen? Carpenter won't be here so that doesn't matter and Okung and Britt haven't said a peep.
Bailey. See my reply above.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1s3o54y7 said:
If you want to utilize Jimmy Graham correctly you have to allow him time to run a route and get open. The problem of having less than adequate time for Russell to throw is only going to be enhanced by Unger (and Carpenter) not being in the mix. While it's awesome to have a guy of Graham's receiving ability in this offense unless they now somehow address the offensive line in a major way I don't like this move at all.

Graham is a mismatch nightmare, and is actually a perfect fit for a QB like Russell who needs a dynamic TE like Graham that can use his speed and size to get open quickly.

O-line worries are duly noted, but free agency has JUST started AND we still have the draft. So should still have plenty of time to find a new center.

Ozzy

Reaction score
kidhawk":u8r0t2h9 said:
austinslater25":u8r0t2h9 said:
I absolutely love it. Center is the most replaceable piece of the Oline and we did fine last year when he was out. We had zero red zone threats and no serious go to receiver. Graham checks off every question and finally gives Wilson an elite option in the passing game which they had to do at some point. You weren't going to get anyone like Graham at 31.

Great move by JS!

Your definition of doing fine differs greatly from mine.

We averaged about 50 yards per game more rushing with Unger than any other center.

We allowed less sacks per game with Unger than the other centers.

I said it earlier and I'll repeat it. Our current crop of guys are serviceable, but that is all. We need to address this situation quickly, be it through free agency or the draft. I don't doubt that Schneider has a plan, but we'll just have to wait and see what that is.

Kid are you factoring in who we played? I'm not so sure that stat isn't a little misleading to be honest. We also had other players healthy with a few of those games being at the start of the year when we had everyone. I'm sure its a downgrade though like you said, I just think the positives of finally having a viable red zone threat greatly outweigh the drop from Unger to Lewis. Hope that made sense, I'm still in shock. :)

Beast Mode

Reaction score
Didn't the Saints usually line him up in the WR position most of the time anyway? I'll admit I was pretty pissed when I first heard about the trade but I'm starting to warm up to it more. Everybody said Wilson need a top target, and let's be honest guys like Marshall and Andre Johnson have seen their best days - and we got it. And he's pretty young at 28 years old and doesn't cost as much as Julius Thomas? I'm in.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I love how ESPN thinks the Foles/Bradford trade is bigger news than the Jimmy Graham trade.

One trade will have an impact on the superbowl.........the other won't.

LolaRox

Reaction score
I was initially shocked by giving up the 1st rounder, but as I let it sink in I think ' if Jimmy was on the board in this year's draft at 31 would I select him?' Probably.

And then trading Unger for 4th, which I'm ok with.

kidhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":27elsr64 said:
kidhawk":27elsr64 said:
austinslater25":27elsr64 said:
I absolutely love it. Center is the most replaceable piece of the Oline and we did fine last year when he was out. We had zero red zone threats and no serious go to receiver. Graham checks off every question and finally gives Wilson an elite option in the passing game which they had to do at some point. You weren't going to get anyone like Graham at 31.

Great move by JS!

Your definition of doing fine differs greatly from mine.

We averaged about 50 yards per game more rushing with Unger than any other center.

We allowed less sacks per game with Unger than the other centers.

I said it earlier and I'll repeat it. Our current crop of guys are serviceable, but that is all. We need to address this situation quickly, be it through free agency or the draft. I don't doubt that Schneider has a plan, but we'll just have to wait and see what that is.

Kid are you factoring in who we played? I'm not so sure that stat isn't a little misleading to be honest. We also had other players healthy with a few of those games being at the start of the year when we had everyone. I'm sure its a downgrade though like you said, I just think the positives of finally having a viable red zone threat greatly outweigh the drop from Unger to Lewis. Hope that made sense, I'm still in shock. :)

Like I said, I like the talent that we are getting, but Center is often such an underrated position, especially in our system. Unger is responsible for making all the line calls. We need a better option than just Lewis. I have no doubt there's a plan, I'd just like to know what it is :)

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Aren't we all forgetting that Graham demands a double team.....Lynch will have a monstrous season this year.