Mazi Smith vs Cam Young

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Do we know why Cam Young didn't play in first preseason game?
According to this, he had a calf strain - https://theathletic.com/4767611/2023/08/11/seahawks-vikings-preseason-jsn-charbonnet/

"According to Carroll, rookie nose tackle Cameron Young missed the game with a calf strain and receiver Cody Thompson (another camp standout) sat out with a groin injury. After Eskridge suffered that knee injury on the opening kickoff, he wore a wrap on his right knee and watched from the sideline."

bileever

Reaction score
On PFF's show reviewing the Seahawks-Cowboys game, the commentators absolutely pan Mazi Smith's performance in the game, then criticize the Cowboys for drafting him in the first place, accusing them of drafting for need. (Mazi Smith discussion starts at 2:20, but the talk about Charbonnet and JSN is before that.)

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
On PFF's show reviewing the Seahawks-Cowboys game, the commentators absolutely pan Mazi Smith's performance in the game, then criticize the Cowboys for drafting him in the first place, accusing them of drafting for need. (Mazi Smith discussion starts at 2:20, but the talk about Charbonnet and JSN is before that.)

Thanks for the video! Mazi was on most of my mocks, and yes, I wanted to draft him to fill a need.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Mazi still would have filled a need with the Seahawks. He's the closest thing to Al Woods in the draft (just my take from what I saw of him). I was hoping he would have fell to them at 37 (Happy they got Hall there so no complaints on who they picked). Just because he's not yet working out for the Cowboys doesn't mean he wouldn't pan out here. It's not an one size fits all league. Number of things factor into why a player is successful in the league.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Mazi still would have filled a need with the Seahawks. He's the closest thing to Al Woods in the draft (just my take from what I saw of him). I was hoping he would have fell to them at 37 (Happy they got Hall there so no complaints on who they picked). Just because he's not yet working out for the Cowboys doesn't mean he wouldn't pan out here. It's not an one size fits all league. Number of things factor into why a player is successful in the league.
Those last two sentences are the main reasons that I don't put much energy towards players we skip over. I don't know enough as a guy who watches barely ANY college football anyway.

bileever

Reaction score

Mick063

Reaction score
So, he wasn't Aaron Donald after all. Hmmm. Why am I not surprised? Just goes to show that some of the local experts don't know more than JS/PC. Knew it all along.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Mazi Smith getting repeatedly pancaked... Hey, maybe our O-Line is just that good!
AFAICS Mazi Smith was #58 on the Cowboys, and he was getting HANDLED by our O-Line. One play it looked like Abe Lucas pushing him around, other plays our Center or Guard was pushing him around. I like it!

This O-Line already looks way better than the 2013 line that featured two rookies in Bowie and Bailey. There are gonna be some holes opened for our RBs.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Mazi played almost the whole game and didn't make a single tackle. He may not be a bust, but he isn't playing like a first round pick or pre-draft #1 nose tackle.

cymatica

Reaction score
Mazi played almost the whole game and didn't make a single tackle. He may not be a bust, but he isn't playing like a first round pick or pre-draft #1 nose tackle.
I wonder if his size is actually a disadvantage when starting out in the NFL. Got used to being able to push around smaller players with less refined technique

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
They should line him up outside when they play the Cardinals cause he's destined to run over Paris Johnson

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The difference between the two seems small save for the reality that our guy is like most of out rookie a bit nicked up.

Go figure.