McQuistan, Bailey and Bowie

ShaunPope

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you here are more informed than I in answering this question. From reviews that I've heard publicly from the coaches, it seems like they were very pleased with the performances of both Bailey and Bowie when they had to play in place of an injured starter and it seems like McQuistan is pretty much a turnstile when he plays these days. My question is, why don't Bailey or Bowie start over McQuistan at LG?

Also, when it comes to just Bailey vs Bowie, which one is the better player? Is one better at Guard and the other better at Tackle than the other? Which position is each player best suited for?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Bailey is more of a natural playing in space, especially at LT. Bowie is in his element at Guard, but versatile enough to slide out to tackle. Both players actually are very versatile, and are more athletic than anyone on the OL not named Okung.

I personally think Bailey has more of an upside, but Bowie is further along in our system right now due to getting more PT. I also get the feeling that Bowie is the quicker learner between the two.

SDHawk

Reaction score
I recall, pre-draft, some anonymous NFL executive saying that they were scared to death of Bailey because he seemed too "slow" to pick up schemes.. euphemism for "stupid". Perhaps this is why he went undrafted. Maybe his difficulty picking up the playbook is a reason for his limited appearances this season despite the many opportunities.

As for Bowie, I think Okung was the one vouching for him. I think Bowie used to play with Okung at Oklahoma St before he was dismissed for violating team rules.

I think Bowie is a natural tackle whereas Bailey was seen as an NFL guard.

*edit: Sorry, the NFL executive/scout was speaking about Chance Warmack and not Alvin Bailey, so there goes that theory.