Melvin Gordon III

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":812kepz6 said:
Do you think MG3 will break the mold of previous Wisconsin backs being flops at the next level?

Only if he's used correctly. He's not a ground and pound type who can be a feature. He needs to be used in the same way C.J. Spiller was at his most productive. And he'll need his version of Fred Jackson.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2cx564ja said:
Hasselbeck":2cx564ja said:
Do you think MG3 will break the mold of previous Wisconsin backs being flops at the next level?

Only if he's used correctly. He's not a ground and pound type who can be a feature. He needs to be used in the same way C.J. Spiller was at his most productive. And he'll need his version of Fred Jackson.
So, you're saying he'd be a decent fit here with Lynch?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3g2qba32 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3g2qba32 said:
Hasselbeck":3g2qba32 said:

So, you're saying he'd be a decent fit here with Lynch?

I think it'd be a luxury to draft a RB in round one to pair with Lynch. And it'd be a sea-change to eventually replace Lynch with Gordon.

But he's an excellent prospect if used the right way. I kind of wouldn't mind if we did take him as a luxury.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Melvin is a good combination of size (6'1"/210lbs) and speed. He might not be Marshawn Lynch but he has better quickness and isn't afraid to plow or hurdle defenders. Unlike years past this Badgers O line isn't always creating huge holes for Gordon--this game is an anomaly. Instead you are seeing more misdirection plays and quick pitch runs. Gordon ' s acceleration and shiftiness is better than people give him credit. Monte Ball had a passing game at Wisconsin. Gordon doesn't have any other weapons on offense. If Monte Ball (5'10") was a 3rd rounder then Gordon at 6'1" 210 lbs with better speed/athleticism is a 1st rounder to early 2nd.

randomation

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":14z8iiuh said:

The best lineman on this Wisconsin team is likely a low round pick think 6th - 7th he doesn't have a Joe Thomas or Travis opening up holes. He has been carrying Wisconsin most of the year him getting injured after ripping off another 50 yard run against lsu is pretty much the main reason that Wisconsin lost that game along with with Herring and his backup going down. He sure as hell doesn't have an RW making the D respect the pass or even a Tolzein, Stave and TM are both god awful.

Also to put in perspective what he did today, it took LT 43 carries against UTEP to hit 406 he averaged 9.4 ypc. MG3 had 25 carries and hit 408 against the 17th ranked rushing D in the country at 16.3 ypc. I don't care how big the holes were that is nuts.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2zdefo5c said:
I like Gordon, but I'd rather have gurley, even after his knee injury. Think he fits seattles style better.

Agreed. Gordon could be great in the right system, just not convinced it's ours.

BBlades89

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":37ih4hey said:
JSeahawks":37ih4hey said:
I like Gordon, but I'd rather have gurley, even after his knee injury. Think he fits seattles style better.

Agreed. Gordon could be great in the right system, just not convinced it's ours.

I'm a Badger fan and tend to agree, but I obviously hope Melvin proves me wrong. One thing I will say about Melvin...he has definitely come a long way. I'm not going to pretend to know a ton about scouting/film study. But even to my untrained eyes, it apparent that he's made big improvements in toughness/breaking tackles & vision during his tenure at WI.

McGruff

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3nwicce3 said:

Gordon IMO is the better pick. He's an improved version of Michael. The offense would change to fit him, but we'd still be a running team.

Carroll was effusive in his praise of McCoy. Gordon is better than McCoy.

Latest posts