Michael Bennett indicted by Harris County grand jury

Popeyejones

Reaction score
As people go off to retreat into their corners, I think it's worth noting that BOTH of the following can be true:

(1) Bennett was acting like a dbag in this situation and pushed through some people he wasn't supposed to push through to go celebrate with his brother, potentially injuring someone in the process.

(2) Many of the details around the CHARGING of #1 feel really strange and off.

If we want to have a productive conversation about this, I think it's important that if someone believes #2 it doesn't mean they don't believe #1, and vice-versa.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
2_0_6":2lwp9r81 said:
Some must have a hard time understanding that most every stadium in pro and amateur sports hire many physically and mentally disabled workers. I had the pleasure of working with several in my past work history, and most absolutely love it because they wouldn't be given a chance in any other work place.

Yeah, I don't really understand the debate around what seems to be a side issue to me.

From reporting, here's the details I've gleamed on it so far:

(1) Early reports said she was a security guard, and later reports seemed to clarify she was just some sort of stadium employee.

(2) She's 66 and paraplegic. One report said her chair was 800 pounds, but that doesn't sound possible.

(3) AFAWK she hasn't personally filed any complaints or charges, but was interviewed.

(4) I've seen several mentions that the police report doesn't include any mention or documentation of her receiving any medical treatment for her injuries, but I'd want to actually see the police report before believing that.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Wasn't trying to sidetrack or make myself seem to be against anyone who is handicapped.

I think we can all agree that if a person is not physically capable of doing the duties of a specific job they should not be put in that position. That's all.

No reason to be offended or defensive.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Drama seems to follow this guy. Not saying my opinion either way. However, it's one thing after another. And if he did pull the whole "do you know who I am" type thing, just stop.........

Uncle Si

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":146w53rp said:
Wasn't trying to sidetrack or make myself seem to be against anyone who is handicapped.

I think we can all agree that if a person is not physically capable of doing the duties of a specific job they should not be put in that position. That's all.

I think the contention here is the assumption that all security guards would have the same expectations and responsibilities, handicapped or not.

The person who checks the team in as they step off the bus into the tunnel has a far different job then the person at the front gate, or the ones patrolling the tunnel and field.

Anyways, it doesn't matter the age, sex or physical capabilities of the persons involved. Bennett was acting out of line.

kidhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":apa4kjdm said:

I pretty much assume this, which is why I think it's safe to assume that the job she was doing is something she was able to do from a wheelchair, which is why it appears that people who are inferring she shouldn't be there, are doing more to deflect from the actual issue. The reasons for that deflection are their own, so anything I'd assume would be mere speculation, but the case will move forward and get resolved in some shape or form, and how it moves forward from here will be most telling. We really don't have enough information to form an informed opinion, but I'm certain that many have their minds already made up either way and some will take in information as it's made available and perhaps alter their current thoughts on the issue. Either way, it's likely to be awhile before much more happens on this as far as factual information released.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Michael Bennett is expected to turn himself in today....surely to be followed up by the feel sorry for me statement...

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":brgq1qyo said:
Not to dismiss what Bennett did But it isnt clearly stated that this is a case of felony assault or that Bemnett intended to hurt the staff. Just that his misbehavior resulted in some degree of injury.
Probably will end as a misdemeanor offense.

This.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Cyrus12":168nvpky said:
Michael Bennett is expected to turn himself in today....surely to be followed up by the feel sorry for me statement...

I think he's in a bit of a tight spot. His lawyer probably won't want him apologizing just yet because that would indicate guilt. If, however, he comes out with his blow-hard self, that isn't going to look good if this actually pushes to trial. He could basically reinforce the notion that he's oblivious to the "peons" around him.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Regardless of the outcome in the end, if your the Philly front office this is something you definitely don't want to happen to a player that has yet to take a snap for you yet.

Fanatics

Reaction score
I am very surprised by the homerism on this thread. The point is, the entrance was closed and he was told no. It doesn't matter if she was disabled, physically fit or anyone In-between, these players for years have gotten away with murder...the difference this time is someone was injured. *MOD EDIT* You start thinking you are above the law and people get hurt.

RCATES

Reaction score
For those questioning the seriousness of this charge and whether its been blown out of proportion. A grand jury was gathered, reviewed the evidence and decided to move forward with charges. In other words MB is screwed.

HawkGA

Reaction score
GeekHawk":st2lafqv said:
Popeyejones":st2lafqv said:
<snip>
(2) She's 66 and paraplegic. One report said her chair was 800 pounds, but that doesn't sound possible.
</snip>

Those electric wheelchair scooter deals are heavy as hell.

If he actually knocked over somebody in a wheelchair . . . . well, let's just say that takes a little more than an accident. For some reason I was visualizing someone in crutches.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RCATES":ofcw9174 said:
For those questioning the seriousness of this charge and whether its been blown out of proportion. A grand jury was gathered, reviewed the evidence and decided to move forward with charges. In other words MB is screwed.

That’s really not how this works. What it means is that in the one sided presentation of evidence enough evidence was presented to decide it’s worth going to trial. Basically, some witness statements — which is what the state has— and the case goes to trial.

Once you get to trial there’s two sides, and a couple contrasting witness statements makes those witness statements that got the case to court look not nearly as hot. Then you throw the performance of the HPD Chief of Police into evidence and start slowly drawing the state’s impartiality into question, which isn’t hard to do as the HPD PC went on stage and created problems for his side over and over again. Basically, as the evidence sounds to be witness statements, contradictory credible witness statements (which the defense claims to already have) is enough to throw beyond a reasonable doubt right out the window, and Houston isn’t an easy jury to stack, either.

Long story short, Bennett’s lawyer’s statement also tells us a lot. There’s no way he comes in that hot and agressively on making it clear there won’t be any plea bargains unless he’s confident he has a winner on his hands. That doesn’t mean he does, but the state has already said they don’t have any video, so MB is far from screwed at this point.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
The show cause hearing is set for April 23– that is the next court date for Bennett. This is the hearing when prosecution and defense exchange the evidence they have, so we will have a better understanding at that time of what the witnesses and victim are saying (they all signed affidavits which will be available to the public at that time).

Often, less serious cases are settled at this hearing— either with a plea or some other agreement.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":110slasc said:
As people go off to retreat into their corners, I think it's worth noting that BOTH of the following can be true:

(1) Bennett was acting like a dbag in this situation and pushed through some people he wasn't supposed to push through to go celebrate with his brother, potentially injuring someone in the process.

(2) Many of the details around the CHARGING of #1 feel really strange and off.

If we want to have a productive conversation about this, I think it's important that if someone believes #2 it doesn't mean they don't believe #1, and vice-versa.

Exactly. Bennett exceeded his boundaries. Of course what he did was wrong.
But charging it in the same category of say Foster seems strange and misleading.

There's the "reasonable person" theory that you get lectured on with every jury duty. Would a reasonable person go plowing through three people? Nope. Is it reasonably plausible that Bennett, caught up in the moment, wasn't mindful but not malicious of whom he was shoving? It is.

IME, it is a reasonable possibility that this woman is a volunteer vs. paid staff. Volunteers sign way more paperwork indemnifying everyone else of basically everything, they get put in dangerous positions without the workers' comp liability, some of which are "fun" things that can get you hurt, and God forbid you say something to them as just staff. I worked at a nonprofit for years, and seniors got hurt b/c the n/p was more afraid of hurting their feelings and wrecking donations from said seniors.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Dave Zangaro

@DZangaroNBCS

Today was originally supposed to be Michael Bennett's next court date for that injury to the elderly charge, but court records show it has been pushed back. The arraignment is now scheduled for May 18 at 9:30 a.m.
7:21 AM - Apr 23, 2018

The date has been pushed back to may 18th , the anniversary of Mt. St. Helens blowing it's top btw .