Mike Evans would you?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Man that's a hard one to call. When I first opened this thread my thought was "no way!" I think I'd trade up but I don't think he's worth 2 #1s. I'd do a 1 and plus a 2 next year or a 1,4,5 this year because at 32 you are damn close to it being a 2nd round pick.

I think Evans would have to fall and the cost be reasonable for them to do it. But expect a surprise from John Schneider every year. And when it happens I'll jump and clap my hands with glee like a little kid at Christmas, even though I'll probably have no idea what just happened.

I just don't think we throw enough to make it worthwhile though, especially with all that we have invested in the running game. Lynch, Turbin, Michael, Ware, Coleman, the offensive line and Tom Cable. This team is about running and beating the hell out of opposing defenses.

randomation

Reaction score

plyka

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2wmf498l said:
I would trade our first this year and next maybe even our second as well to move up and get him. He is that good. I believe he is the best receiver in the draft. Just incredible agility and speed to go along with those LONG arms 6-5 frame and good hands. He is going to be a monster in this league. Another Calvin Johnson imo.

I'd go the opposite route and trade this year's first with next years first for like 5 trades in the 5th and 6th round. Trading 3 draft picks for one is the opposite of what this team has done to win the superbowl.

This team is going to depend on young and cheap to sustain their core. You don't do that with trading your draft picks for a high first round pick. In fact, I think a 15th overall pick costs like 5m per year. I know Earl cost roughly that much and that was years ago. While the 3rd-6th rounders cost like 500k. These numbers are not exact, I just pulled them out of Earl and Wilson's contracts. I think one is 4.8m and the other started off 500k-600k.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
plyka":ai8lsddj said:
Natethegreat":ai8lsddj said:
I would trade our first this year and next maybe even our second as well to move up and get him. He is that good. I believe he is the best receiver in the draft. Just incredible agility and speed to go along with those LONG arms 6-5 frame and good hands. He is going to be a monster in this league. Another Calvin Johnson imo.

I'd go the opposite route and trade this year's first with next years first for like 5 trades in the 5th and 6th round. Trading 3 draft picks for one is the opposite of what this team has done to win the superbowl.

This team is going to depend on young and cheap to sustain their core. You don't do that with trading your draft picks for a high first round pick. In fact, I think a 15th overall pick costs like 5m per year. I know Earl cost roughly that much and that was years ago. While the 3rd-6th rounders cost like 500k. These numbers are not exact, I just pulled them out of Earl and Wilson's contracts. I think one is 4.8m and the other started off 500k-600k.
While I agree with what you are saying, this roster is drastically different than the one inherited by the FO. This team cannot realistically keep drafting 10 players and expect them to make the team. The talent level of the roster is too great.

Trading down to accumulated more picks just might be a strategy of the past, IMO. They need to hit on these picks to further reduce the cap in future years. The roster is too talented and too deep. For instance, would the 2010 version of Kam make the 2014 Seahawks? We talk about the FO hitting on the Kam's, Sherm's, KJ's etc of the world which is awesome. But my concern is would those guys make this team? We might see less just because there are only so many roster spots actually up for grabs. Just look at the production we got from the 2013 draft class. I think we ranked 2nd to last in snaps from rookies.

So I guess what's better? Trading down to accumulate more picks fully knowing half won't make the team? Or going "all in" and getting an elite WR playmaker that may save you from spending on WR?

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
plyka":103jatb6 said:
Natethegreat":103jatb6 said:

You will never ever come up with a receiver with the abilities that Evans has in the 5th and 6th rounds. Sometimes you have to vary from your mo to get a guy. Its not like we have multiple needs this year and we have only so many roster spots at this point(we had to hide guys on IR just to not lose them). Not to mention we still have the ability to pick in the later rounds and pick up free agents for competition just like every year. Especially with so many underclassmen coming out there will be quality undrafted players.

Edit: Hawkfan just beat me to it. Well put.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
This is a great dialogue going on here and there are some great points being raised. While I think the MO of this FO is to always have a bunch of picks, we are getting to the point where the roster is crowded. It's been mentioned, but do you go with quantity over quality and hope to have some big hits? Or do you go with quality and shoot for premo talent? Great questions and it's going to be fun to see what this FO does now.

Part of me is kinda hoping that they trade up and grab a guy who they think can keep this ball rolling. Whether that's Evans or Donald, it would be cool to see. Doubt it happens but it makes for fun dialogue when you're picking all the way down at 32. Poor us, huh?

Lynch'sLamborghini

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":9k3q2f1w said:
plyka":9k3q2f1w said:
Natethegreat":9k3q2f1w said:
So I guess what's better? Trading down to accumulate more picks fully knowing half won't make the team? Or going "all in" and getting an elite WR playmaker that may save you from spending on WR?

It's a relevant question especially considering the relative weakness at cornerback in the rest of the NFC West (Peterson and Janoris Jenkins not withstanding) as well as the relative lack of standout talent at the position in this year's draft. The Hawks would enjoy a substantial advantage for as long as Marshawn remained healthy.

I'm trying to resist the temptation to say we should trade up, but that means I'm sorely tempted. I think Evans may well have gotten himself into the Top 10 with his Combine, and I don't see Sammy Watkins making it past the Rams at #2 unless the Falcons trade the farm to move up. But hell, if you're going to go get Evans at (probably) 8-11, what happens if Evans goes first, or if Sammy just falls to to #9 overall?

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
First a trade would have to be set in place with a team and the trade would be done on draft day when their pick comes up. This is pretty common and doesn't always work out but can certainly be set up beforehand.
Look at his production against some of the best defenses in college.
11 catches, 287 yards, 4 TD (including 95-yard TD) vs Auburn. 7 catches, 279 yards, TD vs Alabama. Five 100-yard games. Led SEC in touchdowns. Set school records for receiving yards in a single game, receiving yards in a single season. 20.2-yard per-catch average. 2012: Started all 13 games

And he wasn't a secret out there on the field. He absolutely tore up Alabama every time they played. He is going to be one of the best and I can't imagine how good Russel would be with a guy that has the catch radius he has. He couldn't throw it over his head if he tried(yes I know its hyperbole but still).

randomation

Reaction score
I would love Evans I just don't see the hawks trading up to get him but who knows stranger things have happened in the past.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
No. I would not make the same mistake that redskins made for RG3 and Falcons made for Julio Jones. It's a team sport and I don't think it's worth giving up so many picks for a guy who's proven nothing. We gave up picks for Percy who's played in the NFL at a very high level before we gave up picks for him and I am all in for a trade like that. These are NFL prospects, not NFL players yet.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":lyq4lnn7 said:
No. I would not make the same mistake that redskins made for RG3 and Falcons made for Julio Jones. It's a team sport and I don't think it's worth giving up so many picks for a guy who's proven nothing. We gave up picks for Percy who's played in the NFL at a very high level before we gave up picks for him and I am all in for a trade like that. These are NFL prospects, not NFL players yet.
How do you qualify those as mistakes?

Julio Jones is an elite WR and RG3 won a division his rookie year.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2fga97y6 said:
SeahawksFanForever":2fga97y6 said:
How do you qualify those as mistakes?

Julio Jones is an elite WR and RG3 won a division his rookie year.

Both of these players most likely won't be busts. They are very good to great players with a lot of potential but look at the bigger picture. Headcoach who was a part of the team that made the decision to trade up for RG3 isn't with the team anymore. Mike Smith and Falcons thought getting another WR can help them win the superbowl and that didn't workout for them too well. We all know that there were reports after this season that Mike Smith might be fired. Now that didn't happen but it might happen in the next couple of years if falcons don't turn around. It's so hard to build your team through the draft without your top picks that you give away when you make these major trades with other teams. This is just my opinion and I like building through the draft and don't like giving away picks. We just won the superbowl and I don't think we are in a desperate position at all to trade up for a player who hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet. I am a huge fan of Mike Evans but I just don't think it's worth it.

randomation

Reaction score
Random thought how much more would we have to give up to trade for someone like say Josh Gordon then to draft Evans?

Brahn

Reaction score
randomation":2k2h91lc said:
Random thought how much more would we have to give up to trade for someone like say Josh Gordon then to draft Evans?

Draft compensation maybe close for both options, but the contract for the rookie would be set, Gordon would want a new deal much like Harvin. Would you give Gordon a 5 year contract knowing he is 1 substance fail from hanging out with Browner for a year?

Pie Romania

Reaction score
Aaron Donald will be a Bear, if he even lasts that long. It's going to take a fair amount to move up for either Evans or Donald.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Pie Romania":29emy8jf said:
Aaron Donald will be a Bear, if he even lasts that long. It's going to take a fair amount to move up for either Evans or Donald.
I love Evans combine showing: Soft hands, smooth catching motion, speedy 4.5 in 40 and 37 inch vert for a 6'5" 230 pound receiver. Yes we have a GM that could get it done but he most likely won't if Evans is a top 15 because it's about value for our teams needs.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Oh and that 20.2 yd per catch avg is just too good for most people to pass up. No doubt he is a huge part of Manziel's production.

JKent82

Reaction score
Kelvin Benjamin please! If we were gonna trade up, that'd take less and Benjamin seems like the perfect giant bulky target that can somehow high point like crazy.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I'm not sure we would even have to move up to get KB. He isn't the talent Evans is but he would be a fine consolation prize.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
JKent82":3niq6ls2 said:
Kelvin Benjamin please! If we were gonna trade up, that'd take less and Benjamin seems like the perfect giant bulky target that can somehow high point like crazy.

Kelvin Benjamin's hands are too inconsistent for me personally. Sure, his size is outstanding and would create mismatches, but you want a guy who you know is going to come down with the ball and Benjamin dropped way too many easy passes for me to want him in the 1st. Don't get me wrong, he does have good hands at times and can make tough catches, but those drops that are uncontested that should be a given, aren't for him.

The only receivers I like in the 1st round are Mike Evans, and Jordan Matthews. There are other guys I like too, but with Harvin on this team, I'd like to add another decently sized receiver. If no one's there worth picking and (by some miracle) Eric Ebron is on the board a 5-8 picks before us, I'd love to have him on this team. Doubt it happens though, but with another threat from the TE position, I'd be fine with smaller WR's for the most part. Tons of talent at the receiver position and if the opportunity presents itself, I wouldn't mind doubling down with a receiver in one of the first two rounds and another in the 5th or later that has potential to be a solid #2 with a little coaching.