Mike Sando says Russell Wilson still might not be a tier1QB

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1nzhzft3 said:
Overseasfan":1nzhzft3 said:
Wilson is a QB who has played every single game for us over a four year period. In this time he has a regular season record of 46-18 and a post-season record of 7-3. He won us a Superbowl and always at least made it to the divisional round. He is second all time in QBR, has well over 60% completion percentage and throws roughly three times as many TDs as INTs. Next to these impressive numbers he's also a weapon in the running game and a respected leader on and off the field.

But sure, he's not elite cause he's short.
In fact, his height is a huge factor in why he's not considered elite by a certain segment of scouts. They have a specific visual in their mind that they can't get past.
Yep, and their, 'he doesn't pass the eye test' bias is what disqualifies them.
He checks every single box, except his height.....Using height as a must have criteria, it would then be reasonable to assume that Brock Oswieler (sp.) being 6'-8", would be the ideal prototype for tier 1, (Elite) Quarterbacks LOL. :lol:

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think its a little overstated. Most analysts do have him in the top tier and just about every player current and past say the same thing. He's always mentioned within that handful of guys who are considered the best. Wait another 4 years and this will all be a moot point. He's only just beginning.

Laloosh

Reaction score
austinslater25":2jhtpvml said:
I think its a little overstated. Most analysts do have him in the top tier and just about every player current and past say the same thing. He's always mentioned within that handful of guys who are considered the best. Wait another 4 years and this will all be a moot point. He's only just beginning.
Get out of here, Mr. Reasonable.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Laloosh":1i5qxhy7 said:
austinslater25":1i5qxhy7 said:
Get out of here, Mr. Reasonable.
I smell an agenda. 8)

I know I'm short, I'm why the rap guys call us women "shorties" but I also know 5'11" sure isn't. Ciara is at least 5'7" which is pretty tall for a woman.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Yup, I think Mike Sando is right. Last time I checked, Russell was still 5ft 10. Now that he is married to Ciara, I expect him to grow about 2 inches ... This will place him in Tier 1.

Let's all be honest, just imagine Andrew "Media-God" Luck had Russell's numbers. Where do you think Luck would be on this chart?

Sac

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2574pn1r said:
joeseahawks":2574pn1r said:
Let's all be honest, just imagine Andrew "Media-God" Luck had Russell's numbers. Where do you think Luck would be on this chart?
REALLY good point.
He'd already have a gold jacket.

A

Anonymous

Sac":yw990wld said:
hawksfansinceday1":yw990wld said:
joeseahawks":yw990wld said:
REALLY good point.

...and made by the finest Amish craftswomen.

:mrgreen:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sac":2aur5k3f said:
hawksfansinceday1":2aur5k3f said:
joeseahawks":2aur5k3f said:
REALLY good point.
Geez, I'd die laughing if weren't true. And made by the Amish women as HH said, perfect.

dogorama

Reaction score
ivotuk":34xp5lvh said:
Felt that Sando is worth his own thread. :2thumbs:

BROCK AND SALK

Mike Sando says Russell Wilson still might not be a tier 1 QB

ORIGINALLY AIRED: TUESDAY, JULY 05, 2016

ESPN's Mike Sando says Seahawks QB Russell Wilson still might not be considered a tier 1 QB in the NFL.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... and%20Salk

Obviously, this isn't the same as subjectively rating artists like musicians or actors because stats add a level of objectivity BUT it still feels somewhat the same to me w/each QB bringing different qualities. For our team, as it currently exists, there is no QB I would rather have than RW.

rideaducati

Reaction score
IndyHawk":r94jry0u said:
Year of The Hawk":r94jry0u said:
The top three he mentioned have played longer than Russ. If top tier is only three then I could see it. There is something to be said for a QB who has performed at top tier level for an extend period of time. When Russ continues and improves his game for a longer period of time he will be mentioned to tier. He will always have an uphill battle to prove himself since he was 3rd round and "short". Next tier he is next battling Cam and Luck. I don't think luck should be included but whatever. There will be many arguing between Russ and Cam. Non of it matters. Of any QB right now I like Russ for our team and our system. Besides he is only gonna get better. Scary yes?
Russ is better than Luck and Cam.The ring speaks for itself and really should be rings but anway at worst Russ is 4th for a year or two is all..

Is Dilfer better than Dan Marino?

Smellyman

Reaction score
rideaducati":m76g4063 said:
IndyHawk":m76g4063 said:
Year of The Hawk":m76g4063 said:
The top three he mentioned have played longer than Russ. If top tier is only three then I could see it. There is something to be said for a QB who has performed at top tier level for an extend period of time. When Russ continues and improves his game for a longer period of time he will be mentioned to tier. He will always have an uphill battle to prove himself since he was 3rd round and "short". Next tier he is next battling Cam and Luck. I don't think luck should be included but whatever. There will be many arguing between Russ and Cam. Non of it matters. Of any QB right now I like Russ for our team and our system. Besides he is only gonna get better. Scary yes?
Russ is better than Luck and Cam.The ring speaks for itself and really should be rings but anway at worst Russ is 4th for a year or two is all..

Hate the ring argument.

dogorama

Reaction score
Smellyman":3q8swo4r said:
rideaducati":3q8swo4r said:
IndyHawk":3q8swo4r said:
Year of The Hawk":3q8swo4r said:

Hate the ring argument.

While the ring argument may be unconvincing to you it could be said that in today's NFL Dilfer and Marino are anomalies.
It may not be impossible to win a ring in the modern era w/o a really good QB, it certainly is improbable. The fact that Russell Wilson has one w/two SB appearances so early in his career speaks volumes.

Anthony!

Reaction score
When it comes right down to it, this "ranking" is based on opinion of a few, who will have their prejudices. TO me you might as well as Prisco as a few of these will never give Wilson his due, because they picked him to suck or he is not over 6 foot. What will be the bigger crime will be if Newton is tier 1 and yet still cant complete 60% of his passes or luck which is in the same boat. We will see though.

HansGruber

Reaction score
dogorama":3s0109ph said:
While the ring argument may be unconvincing to you it could be said that in today's NFL Dilfer and Marino are anomalies.
It may not be impossible to win a ring in the modern era w/o a really good QB, it certainly is improbable. The fact that Russell Wilson has one w/two SB appearances so early in his career speaks volumes.

Totally agree with this. I'm equally as tired of people who blow off the "no rings" argument with the lazy tired cliche about Trent Dilfer.

Dilfer was no Joe Montana, but he played decently enough to avoid turning over the football during the Superbowl. In contrast, Cam Newton not only turned over the ball, but committed one of the greatest acts of cowardice I've ever seen in the Superbowl - refusing to recover his own fumble and essentially giving the game away to his opponent. Which QB would you prefer? It's an easy question for me.

And yes, the fact that Wilson has made it to the divisional round of the playoffs every season of his career, made 2 Superbowls and won 1 (in only 4 seasons) is very impressive. Impressive enough that it should be an argument that puts him over Luck and Newton, and many other QBs today. The simple fact is that the man has guts along with skill, and an uncanny ability to have you in every game - even when you lose on the 1-yard line in the final minute. You are there. The opportunity is always there.

I don't know how you can talk about great quarterbacks and not have that be one of the most important attributes.

Smellyman

Reaction score
dogorama":x89fdzbg said:
Smellyman":x89fdzbg said:
rideaducati":x89fdzbg said:
IndyHawk":x89fdzbg said:

Hate the ring argument.

The most recent super bowl winner had a TERRIBLE season.

Edit: I thing RW is elite, wouldn't trade him for anybody. However, I think the last argument of why he is better than Luck and Cam is rings.

RiverDog

Reaction score
dogorama":2hsxh9px said:

You at least need a solid quarterback, like Eli Manning, Ben Worthlessburger, or Joe Flacco, that happens to be playing well at the right time. Having a "really good", ie top tier quarterback, like Rodgers or Brady, increases the odds.

But I agree about Russell having two SB appearances w/ one ring in his first 4 seasons with a 7-3 playoff record. That's pretty impressive. Of course, his critics will point out that it helps to have been playing for the team with the best defense in the league during that span of time, too.