Minn QB Kirk Cousins: Leader of Men or Just Another Stiff?

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
You didn't really think he was going to put 2 big games together in a row did you? He rarely if ever wins big games.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Thoughts from the 49ers-Vikings divisional playoff game... Vikings OL got dominated by the 49ers DL, especially in pass protection. It seemed like the Vikings and Cousins made no adjustments, just kept doing the same thing and predictably, Cousins got sacked at 2.5 seconds seemingly every dropback. (I didn't actually time this, but probably close) Not sure why the Vikings made seemingly NO adjustments; this reminded me of the caricature of "Pete Ball" we discuss sometimes on the Seahawks side. No QB, not even Russell Wilson, is going to be able to win many games where the offense makes no adjustments to deal with a matchup the defense is dominating.

The Vikings OC must have been totally checked out to keep doing the same non-working shit, series after series, not adjusting or even trying anything different. Cousins took the same drop, to the same predictable spot, with the same predictable results. Sack! Based on new information, Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski must have been thinking more about Cleveland than the playoff game. (Cleveland hired Stefanski as their new Head Coach) I also read that this is Stefanski's first year as an OC. So maybe Stefanski is still earning his wings on seeing and making in-game adjustments. Adjustments have to be harder when the 49er pressure was coming from rushing 4, not from blitzing.

From the Leadership standpoint, one would like to think Cousins could influence his OC to try something different, or suggest adjustments, or even simply audible out of the predictable plays SF kept blowing up. It seemed to work for Aaron Rodgers in the Mike McCarthy era... I have no idea if Cousins knew at the time that it was Stefanski's last game as his OC. OK, so audible out to... exactly what? It's not like anything else Minny tried worked either. The 49ers D has the most trouble with mobile QBs, as stated here by 49er posters. Cousins is not an overly "mobile" QB. This tends to limit the range of possible adjustments.

So... what would Peak Brady do? Well, Brady would have an offensive line that could protect him for at least 3 seconds, and Brady would have a part of the offense that involved quick throws. For Cousins to have any chance to win "big games" like this, he will need a running game that still works against good defenses, and an OL that can protect him long enough for him to make a read or two. He would also need an OC and scheme that would provide quick pass alternatives. Can/will Cousins engage with the Vikings Front Office this offseason to build around his skill set, in their selection of new OC and draft choices? Or will the team decide they really need a Kyer Murray type QB with escapability, and move on from Cousins? I hear RG3 is available...

Final analysis for 2019-20... Cousins finally won a BIG game, the road playoff win in New Orleans. Cousins talent isn't good enough to carry the team by himself. He needs a good team around him, especially a good offensive line that can protect him, and run-block effectively. And he needs an OC that has the experience and savvy to make effective in-game adjustments. Whatever leadership qualities Cousins does or doesn't possess are irrelevant when his OL is getting dominated and he's under immediate pressure on every dropback.

P.S. Cousins now has 1 more road playoff win than 2019 NFL MVP Lamar Jackson, but 1 road playoff win less than Ryan Tannehill.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2z3fi4in said:
SantaClaraHawk":2z3fi4in said:
Oly, just keep it coming. The focus of this subforum is after all what other teams do. Not just our "favorite" rivals, but all teams. I always think it interesting when any player is featured in depth, and in this case, it's been especially relevant since our game with them, and now having them decide the NFCCG matchup.

You don't know a damn thing, this is where fans from other teams come to associate with us concerning match ups, banter as friendly rivals and get feelings from each other on match ups and what we think about situations from an outside prospective, I get it your new on the block, but don't try to get on a pedestal and start $h!t here.

Go back to hating on the Griffin brothers and your other pet peeves and Circus De whatever and not being able to find a parking spot.

I've said NOTHING here that belies what Nation rules are other than what I've heard from mods and owners as to what they are, which is a way to discuss teams other than the Hawks. In fact, I've echoed exactly what you've said: People should be able to talk about players on other teams that they find interesting.

And this has NOTHING to do with how I feel about the Griffins or consternation over missing a game, any more than it does with my view on gun topics.

I don't get why you're calling me out and getting off-topic personal especially.
'