MMQB bit on Schnieder & Wilson

TwoDayBooze

Reaction score
“John convinced me on Russell,” said Pete Carroll. “He was on him early, then he came back from seeing him late in his season at Wisconsin, I think against Michigan State, and he was so enthused about him. I watched a lot of tape on him, and John was right on. Then he got here, and he was everything John said he was.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/13/peyton-ma ... terback/2/

Saw this bit in MMQB and thought some of you would appreciate this story. A friend of a friend I know works inside the building and was present during one of the many film studies/deliberations they had in Feb leading up to the combine. He told me during one meeting in particular, with Pete in the room, Schneider went up to the whiteboard and jotted down the career numbers of 4 Quarterbacks without the names, and then directed the room to pick based on production alone.

Player A was Luck, B was RG3, C was Weeden (yes, Weeden) and D was Wilson. The majority of the room split between Wilson and Luck. Schneider played a cut-up of every pass both Luck and Wilson made the last two seasons and concluded in front of the room that were Wilson four inches taller he'd be rated right up there with the Luck's of the draft and the only real difference between the two was size. He cited a few other things but I'm told a great deal was made about Wilson's leadership/decision making and if his height were truly such an impediment it would have derailed his football career a long time ago, yet he only got better.

Obviously we all know how things worked out but I thought it would be a fun story to share.