Moeaki Getting Majority of TE Snaps

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I like what I have seen from him already! Dude has been clutch and I am looking for much more.

edogg23

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but Luke Wilson doesn't look like he is running anywhere near a 4.5 out there. It may be from his groan but that game he came back he looked like he was running in water.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
edogg23":2ip3xg82 said:
Maybe it's just me but Luke Wilson doesn't look like he is running anywhere near a 4.5 out there. It may be from his groan but that game he came back he looked like he was running in water.

He probably runs near that in a straight line (that was a pro-day time, which are often favourable to their athletes), but it's a bit different to running routes at tight end. He looks stiffer than our other TEs. Helfet for example might lose a race against him but looks the more fluid athlete.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Moeaki looked faster than his 4.67 combine number. I think he has deceptive speed, 63 yards and almost an inch away from taking it to the house. Our TE is a strength now and I'm excited about this group and what it can do in the next game. I hope we keep Moeaki as the long term answer.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
The last few weeks we have seen improved TE play, really hope it continues as having some nice plays designed, which is asking a lot, for the TEs can open things up for our WRs.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
pmedic920":32waecik said:
I just wish he was a little faster.

Maybe I'm way off base but he seems to run slow.
Anybody know for sure?
I do like his play.

I haven't noticed a speed or quickness issue with him yet. Maybe he will play faster once he becomes more familiar with the system.

His Pro Day measurables match up well with Zach Miller and Anthony McCoy's (our two big TEs who are out this year due to season-ending injuries):

Moeaki - 6'3, 252 lbs
Miller - 6'4, 256 lbs
McCoy - 6'4, 259 lbs

Moeaki - 40: 4.68 seconds
Miller - 40: 4.72 seconds
McCoy - 40: 4.71 seconds

Moeaki - 10-yard split: 1.64 seconds
Miller - 10-yard split: 1.63 seconds
McCoy - 10-yard split: 1.46 seconds

Moeaki - Bench: 20 reps
Miller - Bench: 16 reps
McCoy - Bench: 19 reps

Moeaki - Vertical: 36.5''
Miller - Vertical: 34'
McCoy - Vertical: 35''

Moeaki - 3-cone: 7.05
Miller - 3-cone: 6.99
McCoy - 3-cone: 7.01

I wouldn't be too concerned about Moeaki's speed. He's not as fast as Willson/Helfet, but they are a different breed of TE. The thing I am most excited about is Moeaki's potential as a blocker. Wilson/Helfet are more like finesse blockers, while Moeaki is more like Miller to the extent that he is capable of knocking defenders off the line of scrimmage.

Moeaki was known to be a great blocker when he was at Iowa. And as a rookie in 2010, PFF graded Moeaki as one of the league's most prolific run blockers when he was playing for the Chiefs (+19.8 run blocking grade). We saw a glimmer of what he can do in the last three games.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
652cHAWK":23y7g3go said:
If Moeaki didn't look back so often, to see how far the DB was, he probably would have scored, no question.

I agree. It seems like that's often the difference between slow guys and fast guys. The slow ones are constantly craning their neck to see who's coming to hit 'em, and the fast guys (like Percy's kickoff return in the Super Bowl) just run with confidence - eyes straight ahead.

Speaking of TE's, Luke Willson was on New Day Northwest this morning (I work at home and the TV's on in the background). He was just as goofy as I expected. They asked him a series of dumb questions - one was "If you were stranded on a desert island with one Seahawk player, who would you want it to be?". His answer was Tony Moeaki, because they have similar personalities. Another question was "If you could have one Seahawk with you in an alley fight, who would you want it it be?". His answer was Kam Chancellor. The host said it was the same answer every time she asked a player that question.

pmedic920

Reaction score
hawknation2014":gua71yto said:
pmedic920":gua71yto said:

Anybody know for sure?
I do like his play.

I haven't noticed a speed or quickness issue with him yet. Maybe he will play faster once he becomes more familiar with the system.

His Pro Day measurables match up well with Zach Miller and Anthony McCoy's (our two big TEs who are out this year due to season-ending injuries):

Moeaki - 6'3, 252 lbs
Miller - 6'4, 256 lbs
McCoy - 6'4, 259 lbs

I wouldn't be too concerned about Moeaki's speed. He's not as fast as Willson/Helfet, but they are a different breed of TE. The thing I am most excited about is Moeaki's potential as a blocker. Wilson/Helfet are more like finesse blockers, while Moeaki is more like Miller to the extent that he is capable of knocking defenders off the line of scrimmage.

Moeaki was known to be a great blocker when he was at Iowa. And as a rookie in 2010, PFF graded Moeaki as one of the league's most prolific run blockers when he was playing for the Chiefs (+19.8 run blocking grade). We saw a glimmer of what he can do in the last three games.

Thank you.
If one wants to use this info, it shows that what I perceive to be slow, is only that, perception.
I'm happy to see this.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
edogg23":scb16ghe said:

That's why you hear people say things like "football speed."

There's a big difference between a 40 yard dash on a track and having the quickness, instincts and smarts to do it on a football field. I think that's what you're seeing with Willson, he's much more concerned with catching the ball cleanly and not getting stripped than running full speed after the catch.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
pmedic920":3vuba3bo said:
hawknation2014":3vuba3bo said:
pmedic920":3vuba3bo said:

Anybody know for sure?
I do like his play.

Moeaki - 6'3, 252 lbs
Miller - 6'4, 256 lbs
McCoy - 6'4, 259 lbs

Thank you.
If one wants to use this info, it shows that what I perceive to be slow, is only that, perception.
I'm happy to see this.

If you get a chance, check out this video from Moeaki's rookie year:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-p ... op-rookies

Some of the plays he makes are unbelievable . . . diving one handed catch in the end zone, driving defensive ends out the play like they're on roller skates, etc. If not for all the injuries, he would be a Pro Bowl caliber player by now.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Basis4day":3qw6eh2k said:
pmedic920":3qw6eh2k said:
byau":3qw6eh2k said:
pmedic920":3qw6eh2k said:

Anybody know for sure?
I do like his play.

Aren't most TE's slow compaerd to linebackers and secondary? They are more the big, physical, lumbering types right?

Yes, I'm talking relatively.
I like his play, he just seems slow to me, that's why I asked if anybody knew for sure.
Go back and look at his TD, tell me that didn't look slow.
And yes, I know it was fast enough to score, and that's what counts.

I think he looked like a Tight End when he ran.

Yeah, we have to remember, until Jimmy and Gronk came along, TEs were always slow, plodding beasts. Heck Jimmy and Gronk aren't altogether fast, just huge. Which is the point. TEs just need to be faster than the LB covering them, and bigger than the safety that might help.

I really like the idea of Mo being tutored on pass blocking by Miller, then eventually seeing Mo and Helfet run TE sets when it comes time for Miller to hang them up. Willson is just too inconsistent with his hands, although he did make some big conversions last game and I love the effort.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11zzfh2p said:
edogg23":11zzfh2p said:

That's why you hear people say things like "football speed."

There's a big difference between a 40 yard dash on a track and having the quickness, instincts and smarts to do it on a football field. I think that's what you're seeing with Willson, he's much more concerned with catching the ball cleanly and not getting stripped than running full speed after the catch.
I like that. He's had a couple of "Jeremy Stevens" moments this season. Good to see that the last few games he's been securing the ball and making things happen in a postive way.

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1m9ljzeu said:
pmedic920":1m9ljzeu said:

Anybody know for sure?
I do like his play.

Moeaki - 6'3, 252 lbs
Miller - 6'4, 256 lbs
McCoy - 6'4, 259 lbs
Willson - 6'5, 251

Wilson - 40: 4.51

Wilson - 10-yard split: 1.61 seconds

Wilson - Bench: 23 reps

Willson - Vertical: 38'

Willson - 3-cone: 7.08

added Willson.

after being in Canada, playing baseball and then playing at Rice. Willson is just scratching the surface of his ability.

the injured ankle slowed him down a bit this year, but man can he recover form injured ankels.....

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Moeaki all day please. We need a TE like Miller and he seems to be the best fit. Miller was HUGE for us and if our 3 headed monster can pick up the slack then Im all for it. Willson and Heffett do seem faster, but I think it all depends on packages and situations. In any case, it's a problem I love to have and I hope we can use them ideally.

Throwdown

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":6qk19cy4 said:
BlueBlood":6qk19cy4 said:
He looked to run pretty well to me. Does anyone think Wilson or Miller rumble 63 yards on that same play? Not a chance!

Willson runs a 4.5 forty so I'm not really certain what you are talking about in the post above. It seems silly to suggest Willson would not have a chance of doing the same especially considering he is much faster than Moeaki. I'm guessing you were not aware of Willsons speed.

Willson would've dropped the ball though.

Latest posts