Most Unstoppable Play in Football Is J. Graham iso in the RZ

jammerhawk

Reaction score
My legit question is why has it taken Bevell so long to figure out that Graham is a situational mismatch in the EZ if he is not double covered?

renofox

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1zew3e79 said:
My legit question is why has it taken Bevell so long to figure out that Graham is a situational mismatch in the EZ if he is not double covered?

Paging Siouxhawk. I'd love to hear the answer to this.

OP
OP
S

scrummymustard

Reaction score
renofox":3rfytxg0 said:
jammerhawk":3rfytxg0 said:

Ive heard him say something similar as "this team has been using him right, due to his injury they were easing him back"

(ignoring the fact that Graham played a higher % of the teams snaps in 2016 than in any season in career (from 2012-2017, I couldn't find the stats from prior years)

2012: 62.7%
2013: 67.1%
2014: 68%
2015: 52.9% (but missed the last 5 games)
2016: 74.6%
2017: 67.6%

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
renofox":3qw3ngf5 said:
jammerhawk":3qw3ngf5 said:

I said all along that Jimmy was going to be a major force for this team and help us make a deep playoff push.

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2or1hzlh said:
renofox":2or1hzlh said:
jammerhawk":2or1hzlh said:

I said all along that Jimmy was going to be a major force for this team and help us make a deep playoff push.

You dodged the question, it wasn't that they were not trying to use him, it was finally figure out the correct way to use him.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Lots of armchair Quarterbacking going on here. Using Jimmy took time because throwing to the perfect spot for him takes practice. Especially since Qbs are not typically trained to throw that way in the Redzone. They're taught to throw a fade to the back of the endzone

Jimmy was a unique challenge that was eventually figured out. But it's not nearly as simple as they make it look

chris98251

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1v9sws27 said:
Lots of armchair Quarterbacking going on here. Using Jimmy took time because throwing to the perfect spot for him takes practice. Especially since Qbs are not typically trained to throw that way in the Redzone. They're taught to throw a fade to the back of the endzone

Jimmy was a unique challenge that was eventually figured out. But it's not nearly as simple as they make it look

Wilson has been a QB for how long? It's about scheme and routes and a talking to by Pete to Graham.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":10jjub2y said:
The coaching staff can't be so dumb that they just don't understand his potential.

I prefer to believe that Pete, overthinking things as usual, just wanted to "catch the league off guard" by waiting to deploy it later in the season. Can you win in the 4th quarter and all that.
Graham's like, 30 first starts in Seattle wasn't enough to prove that the coaching staff, or at least a part or two of it, can be that dumb?

How many games would it have taken you to believe it then, Montana? 50? 125? The rest of his entire career? Everybody with more than a handful of functioning brain cells knew throwing to Jimmy in the red zone is a smart idea to work into our scheme. Ignoring that has certainly cost us wins, and probably a Super Bowl appearance.

netskier

Reaction score
Seymour":94ce4qxp said:
MontanaHawk05":94ce4qxp said:
The coaching staff can't be so dumb that they just don't understand his potential.

I prefer to believe that Pete, overthinking things as usual, just wanted to "catch the league off guard" by waiting to deploy it later in the season. Can you win in the 4th quarter and all that.

You mean end of the contract? This is year 3 not year 1.

My hunch is that Jimmy is still in Pete's dog house, and has been all along. Set him up to fail for the first two years, and then to succeed in the last year, so that he is arguably not worth keeping, so don't extend him, and let him go as a free agent, but get a higher compensatory pick for him because other teams compete to sign him. This way the fans don't complain too much about "having to let him go because we could not afford him". Release him after three years so that he does not come back soon to haunt us.

I still think we would have been happy to have traded him for Brown, and not having to give up draft choices for Brown.

I call this Dog House Theory.

Watch Russell's so called great chemistry with Jimmy. I see acting. Look at their body language, and tell me if you disagree.

This body language is how to test my Dog House Theory. You be the judges. Maybe I should set up a poll for this.

netskier

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2ukfm9es said:

Because he takes orders from Pete.

netskier

Reaction score
chris98251":esjo3slo said:
Scorpion05":esjo3slo said:

Wilson has been a QB for how long? It's about scheme and routes and a talking to by Pete to Graham.

Concur.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2wtmcej0 said:

Apparently certain “parts” of that coaching staff were that dumb. The numbers back that that up, like it or not.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1dj0w236 said:
My legit answer is Bevell is crappy at his job.

OP
OP
S

scrummymustard

Reaction score
netskier":332zfxxw said:
Seymour":332zfxxw said:
MontanaHawk05":332zfxxw said:

You mean end of the contract? This is year 3 not year 1.

My hunch is that Jimmy is still in Pete's dog house, and has been all along. Set him up to fail for the first two years, and then to succeed in the last year, so that he is arguably not worth keeping, so don't extend him, and let him go as a free agent, but get a higher compensatory pick for him because other teams compete to sign him. This way the fans don't complain too much about "having to let him go because we could not afford him". Release him after three years so that he does not come back soon to haunt us.

I still think we would have been happy to have traded him for Brown, and not having to give up draft choices for Brown.

I call this Dog House Theory.

Watch Russell's so called great chemistry with Jimmy. I see acting. Look at their body language, and tell me if you disagree.

This body language is how to test my Dog House Theory. You be the judges. Maybe I should set up a poll for this.

This is a terrible theory.

No head coach in the NFL would put up with a guy for 3 years if they were in "the dog house". You think they are gonna spend $27 million in cap space to what, prove a point?

This team has shown the opposite. They cut bait, ala Harvin and Cary Williams in recent memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaneypark

Reaction score
We’re finally using Graham the way God intended, with passes at the goal line rather than lobs to the back corner. Credit whomever is responsible, but also realize they took three years to figure out the obvious.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":27ixj5pw said:
Inexcusable the coaching staff just figured this out.

Couldn't agree more, there were only five years of tape on him in New Orleans :roll: And it's no coincidence that Schneider went right out and got the guy after we lost the Super Bowl the way we did.

And now people want to credit Bevell/Pete/Whoever for "figuring out" something that Sean Payton figured out nearly a decade ago. I mean, I'm as much of a homer as the next guy, but sometimes you just have to admit when your coaches have been screwing up.

Well, glad they finally got it right.

hawk45

Reaction score
There is no excuse or design behind not using him correctly, it's a damning indictment on our coaching staff right there in black and white.
I'm one who thinks that when we get decent protection Bevell is a good OC but I won't defend the indefensible.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3dla2pm7 said:
semiahmoo":3dla2pm7 said:
Inexcusable the coaching staff just figured this out.

Couldn't agree more, there were only five years of tape on him in New Orleans :roll: And it's no coincidence that Schneider went right out and got the guy after we lost the Super Bowl the way we did.

And now people want to credit Bevell/Pete/Whoever for "figuring out" something that Sean Payton figured out nearly a decade ago. I mean, I'm as much of a homer as the next guy, but sometimes you just have to admit when your coaches have been screwing up.

Well, glad they finally got it right.
This. Though some will never admit the coaches they are “white knighting” for ever make mistakes.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Some of you people seem to forget that Jimmy had a major injury that greatly impeded his ability to perform last season. But even in saying that, he still set franchise reception records a year ago.

Because our line was so porous and Russ was operating on a bad wheel, Jimmy was also tasked to provide some protection, whether that be a chip before going out for a pass or actually attacking a zone in our blocking concept. He struggled somewhat, but as the season wore on, he became quite better in that area and became a more complete player. Many times it was his big downfield block that sprang Douggy for another monster pickup.

I credit Bevell for working with Cable to keep Russ on his feet during that time he was ailing. He leaned on his pocket more while still getting ample results from the passing game. This was an important phase for Russ and our team. It's paying dividends today.

Bevell has known all along what he's had in Jimmy and how he'd eventually use him. I told you that back in September. It just took him up until recently to really make statements because of health and solid adjustments to our line. He's a better, more well-rounded player than he was in New Orleans and for that I tip the ol' hat to Bevell and his staff.