Must Listen from the latest KJ Wright show

pmedic920

Reaction score
Yea.
I’ve been listening/watching a lot of KJ recently.

This absolutely is a “must listen” (especially for you X and O guys) for all Hawk fans

Incredible actual player/insider information and opinion from Luke W.
Probably one of the best SB49 breakdowns available.

keasley45

Reaction score
Great listen, but sad at the same time. Watching the vibe of KJ and Luke slowly erode from the 11:00 minute mark to 33:00 minute mark, until Luke called it out, just shows how hurt and fractured that locker room was. That series of events still weighs so heavy on all their minds.
Yeah. And Luke is such a great story teller. He tells it straight up. I see why he was so beloved for so many years.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

It starts about at 11:00...a question about the "Play" in Superbowl 49. I thought I had made peace with it, and then I hear Luke Willson's take. Even KJ was mad, because this was apparently news to him.

Wow.

That was an interesting take. I thought I was gonna hate that clip - but it told me more about 49 than I ever really knew.

Luke's been stinking it up IMO on Canadian TSN broadcasts - but this was amazingly good.

You lose some of the details sometimes - and forget how hard these guys work for it. The "Should I have dessert/inflammation/performance" comment was incredibly telling.

It doesn't fix shit - but it was nice to have an insider take on it.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Yea.
I’ve been listening/watching a lot of KJ recently.

This absolutely is a “must listen” (especially for you X and O guys) for all Hawk fans

Incredible actual player/insider information and opinion from Luke W.
Probably one of the best SB49 breakdowns available.
I agree. KJ has a great podcast. Was there ever a definitive answer on the "why" the stupid rub route to a special teamer instead of giving the ball to the best running back in the league?

Was it Bevell? Carroll?

pmedic920

Reaction score
I agree. KJ has a great podcast. Was there ever a definitive answer on the "why" the stupid rub route to a special teamer instead of giving the ball to the best running back in the league?

Was it Bevell? Carroll?
I suggest you actually listen to that podcast, Luke Wilson lays it out there in a way that’s pretty easy to understand, not only that but he goes on to discuss what “the play” did to the players as a whole.

Seriously, I’ve never heard it like this, even KJ was taken back by some of it.

Probably the most insightful discussion available to Hawk fans, it will certainly change some minds.

Edit: sorry no cliff notes (spoilers) from me, I believe wholeheartedly that every Hawk fan should listen to it.

Last edited:

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I suggest you actually listen to that podcast, Luke Wilson lays it out there in a way that’s pretty easy to understand, not only that but he goes on to discuss what “the play” did to the players as a whole.

Probably the most insightful discussion available to Hawk fans, it will certainly change some minds.

Edit: sorry no cliff notes (spoilers) from me, I believe wholeheartedly that every Hawk fan should listen to it.
THIS. I liked the whole story. Amazing.

I loved how he's talking about being a year 2 guy and KJ wants him to decline plays in the huddle. "Probably get slapped". "I'm not running that shit!" - too funny.

Totally brought me back around on Luke. I had me some hair-bun and excess greasyness fatigue from last season on TSN ;) Canadians will get it.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Just listened to this episode at work today, I knew they could provide some interesting insight, but I was pleasantly surprised to hear how candid both Luke & KJ were, not only about THAT play, but about their whole time in Seattle.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Just listened to this episode at work today, I knew they could provide some interesting insight, but I was pleasantly surprised to hear how candid both Luke & KJ were, not only about THAT play, but about their whole time in Seattle.
It’s an amazing discussion to be able to have access to.

Every pre SB48 fan should listen to it.

Torc

Reaction score
That was an awesome listen, probably the best most honest talk I've ever seen from a player. Zero media-speak there.

one spoiler:
He doesn't answer the burning question that we all have - who called "the play" in SB49? Even he doesn't know exactly what happened with the playcall. (You should still listen. He gives tons of information surrounding that play.)

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I dunno if it's better or worse to have so much validated by some guys that were there. I've always hated when people brought up Marshawn's 1 yard to go record for the yard, 1 for 5 I believe, because the playcall in those situations were awful. Delayed handoffs from shotgun with the fullback play actioning to the flat, junk like that. To hear that they had a play they practiced all week that was a traditional (with twists) smash mouth goal to go play and they ran that bullshit... that's team killing and they confirmed that. Still doesn't answer the two big questions, who called it and what was the motive behind it. Nothing was confirmed but the unnamed coach who laid blame on the defense sounds awfully like the coach who blamed others in the post game pressers. Maybe one day we'll get the full answer though. It's wild how one single play utterly tore apart a generational team. I hope Bobby can show the D how to become a family, though I do think he has enough in the tank for a good season physically.

Mick063

Reaction score
I remember arguing profusely that Lynch needed to carry that ball. From a running formation. There were several here on .Net that was steadfast in their belief that the pass was the right call, but just executed poorly. They made excuse after excuse basically centered around clock management and allowing for an extra play (ie. more chances).

I don't remember who those folks were but.....they were wrong. Lynch needed to carry that damn ball.

Torc

Reaction score
I'm one of those that has argued that "A" pass play was the right call, but not that one. Some sort of option where Russ could roll out and either carry it in, throw it, or throw it away.

But given what Luke says here.....they should have run the play they practiced. There's something to be said for the "y'all know what's coming, and you can't stop it" mentality.

Given that scenario - ball on the 1 and super bowl on the line - screw the stats for the season. There's no RB I'd rather have carrying it than Marshawn.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Yea well we’ve all beat that horse to death.

We really should focus on the conversation from the podcast and encourage folks to give it a listen for themselves.

My opinion/YMMV

morgulon1

Reaction score

Haha, I did listen to it, although I was working. Without spoiling it for the others on here I couldn't quite decipher where the idea of not giving it to 24 came from. I'll stop there.

What Came out of that conversation made a lot of sense to me. Other than the question I have.

Mick063

Reaction score
Yea well we’ve all beat that horse to death.

We really should focus on the conversation from the podcast and encourage folks to give it a listen for themselves.

My opinion/YMMV
You mean the conversation about the fact that Lynch needed to carry the ball? I can't be more focused on it. Tell me how to be more focused on the argument that Lynch should have carried the ball. Because that is what the conversation is about.