My 2 cents

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I didnt get to see as much of the game do to work.

But Clark and Lockett both looked like 1st round talents that have been in the NFL for a couple of years.

Denver has a real good defense especially a great run defense even without Knighton, it wasnt surprising that they had success shutting us down.

It was one game but I think Im at the point now after forcing optimism for potential and even though I wrote what I did above about Denver's Run D, that one of Turbin or Michaels wont make this team. You kind of get the idea why Lynch is going to make 12m this year.

Didnt see the 2nd Half, but the statlines looked like Rawls and Smith had thier moments as complete players.

It was the worse kind of day for the passing game, wet conditions plus bad/young O-line play against a defense that plays great run D which made the Seahawks one dimensional.

Although, The Offensive Line did have a tough assigment today, Denver's front 7 is very physical, that plays with a very big 4 man front. However, you have to wonder if they will strongly consider Evan Mathis at some point if they can find a way to afford it.

I thought the defense played well for the most part other than that first half 2 minute drive. Its obvious that the Seahawks lose a lot of identity and intimidation without Sherm, Thomas, and Chance on the field. Those guys were hurt in the SB but still Brady for the most part only exploited the mismatches on Simon and Wright.

Im hoping the Run D issues is more just a chemistry thing with Rubin and Mebane plus Thomas and Chancellor not playing and not having that fear factor.

This is still a great team with great talent, with great coaching and Denver is no joke either... A lot of learning to be done and still a lot of time to continue to iron out the wrinkles.

Close loss in a sloppy game but Clark and Lockett look damned special. And thats something you can hang your hat on for now as a win.

Laloosh

Reaction score

peppersjap

Reaction score
Hawks46":v3ldwcgp said:
Some of this has been said already but here goes:

OL was terrible. I will say the 3rd string OL does know how to set up some decent screens.

Our pass rush looks really deadly. Irvin, Avril, Marsh, Clark. We not only look really damned fast, but deep. Problem is, our run defense looks a bit soft. We have the size and talent, I think we can improve our run fits so I'm not terribly worried about it. Plus, Kubiak had the Ravens running the ball really well last year, and was historically good at it in Houston. It's not surprising, with Denver's OL that they can run the ball well.

Our secondary was obviously young. They were out of position a lot. I liked how they were flying around and hitting pretty hard. I'm optimistic than they can learn from this game and improve throughout camp.

I like what I saw from Matthews tonight. He looked good on ST as well. I hope his shoulder is ok.

Frank Clark. Holy crap, he beasted tonight. Pass rush, run fits, you name it. He was a man among boys against the backups, and looked pretty dominant against the 1st stringers when he was in there. If he keeps this up, he's going to cost Bennett his job, sooner rather than later. And the beauty of it is that it's not the Seahawks being disloyal. It's Bennett being beat out in competition.

Lockett looked as good as advertised with returns. I didn't get to see enough of him running routes, but none of our QBs had time tonight.

I can see what they like in Archer. He looks pretty well adjusted out there. He just might be our back up next year, and he'd save us money over Jackson.

Marsh looked pretty good tonight as well.

Michael had a boneheaded fumble, but he looked decent other than that. You can see the explosion he has, and elusiveness. He also had a couple of really good blitz pickups where he popped a blitzing LBer and stoned him.

Rawls looked good. I also liked what Smith showed us.

Over all, we look like we need a lot more polish, but we have a lot of very young guys and it's expected. The OL is the biggest issue to me at this point.
No way Archer is making this team. If Tjack is out for a while you are going to see a scramble for a back up QB and my hope would be that they put BJ Daniels back there. Archer looked like we had brought clipboard Jesus back!

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
my 2 cents:

-postions of (great) need are starting RT and depth at DT. if we can resolve these two issues, i think we can be a powerhouse and have a ~ 13-3 type season. as it stands, britt does not have the ability to play tackle in this league. guard, perhaps. but at tackle he does not have enough athleticism, he lacks quick feet, mobility, balance, core strength, anticipation. in the same way that terrell pryor is not a qb, britt is not a right tackle. if its not evident to pc by now, im legitimately scared for the future. also, we need either staten/williams to step up or step out at DT. if we cant find another run stopping DT for the rotation (to rotate with bane and rubin) we are gonna be in serious trouble against teams like the packers, cowboys, steelers. no-name running backs just cruised their way to easy gains straight up the middle tonight against our 2nds/3rds

-also, i wouldnt worry yet about the passive defensive play-calling. i expect richard to dial up pressure as needed in the regular season. i did get frustrated at times by the soft zone we were playing/lack of blitzes which left receivers open and let osweiler have 5-6 seconds in the pocket, but i understand this is preseason and i fully expect the defense to be a nightmare for opposing offenses once again.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":20ak5ula said:
Your optimist outlook offsets my pessimism here.

I find the OL horrific. It was interesting to hear words like "cringed" coming from Michael Robinson re: the blocking.

And the DL did little to inspire confidence either, maybe the pass rush looked in form but it looked like anyone can run up the gut on them now and I have to wonder if our run defense isn't going to be a huge concern or didn't end up moving to Tampa and wherever Kevin Williams is now.

I believe in Pete but man, if anything is a cure for "Seahawks fever" it is being subjected to watching this line play for 2 hours.

Hoping they can right the boat on this one, but right now I don't know what to expect. I don't expect it will matter if we have Graham though if we can only give poor Wilson .031 seconds to throw the ball from the snap. The OL were letting the defenders in like Wilson owed them money or something.

The 2nd and 3rd string D looked confused...like they didn't know where to line up. I'm think that a big part of that is because our MLB was not Wagner, not Coyle, but somebody I didn't recognize. This will be a good teaching point for whomever that was, but I expect immediate improvement once Coyle returns from injury.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Laloosh":1czl939m said:
vin.couve12":1czl939m said:

That gif in the fieldgulls link for the pass to Jimmy... looked like Luke could have been wide open in the end zone. I wonder how many balls he gets this season because teams are locked in on Graham and Lynch.
That's also the first read off of that boot. If Jimmy's there when he turns around he'll throw it there every time even if a WR is 40 yards away from anyone down the sideline.

I still don't think RW is far enough along where he dynamically makes his own progressions on a given play. His first read is still his first read, which comes from Bevell/the play call.

cover-2

Reaction score
Having rewatched the game here is of my observations...
•The bad
- Britt was horrible in pass protection
- everyone that played LG looked horrible.
- RB Thomas Rawls looks like "just a guy", I don't see anything special about him. He didn't look explosive or overly physical as a runner. Maybe my expectations were to high considering all the love he has been given by coach Carroll.
- RB Rod Smith showed good hands, but he didn't have the balance/ movement skills of an NFL RB. I would like to see him tried at TE, maybe he could develop into a player like Redskins TE Niles Paul.
- TE Anthony McCoy IMO is the #4 TE on the roster and I would look to sign a TE cut from another team when roster cuts come up.
- Our run defense wasn't good, but I think some of that was due to our DT groupings and also defensive formations. We were gashed for a big run once when we were in a 3-2-6 formation, 3 d-lineman 2 LB & 6 DB's. We struggled against the run when DT's D'Anthony Smith and T.Y. McGill were on the field together, both of whom are undersized DT's.
- DT Rubin looked very average against the run. He struggled to disengage from blocks. Jessie Williams was more impressive against the run.

•Now the good
- Frank Clark is a Beast!
- 2nd year player Garry Gilliam looked really impressive. He did have two negative plays, one of which was whiffing on rush LB Shane Ray, which led to Michael's fumble. Other than that play Gilliam handled Ray in pass pro. Gilliam is defiantly one to keep an eye on during the pre-season. It looks like he is quietly being groomed as Okung's replacement at LT.
- OC Drew Nowak looked like he should be our starting C. He had a very solid game, too bad the guys playing next to him were sooo bad.
- DT Jessie Williams was stout vs the run. He looked good especially considering he hasn't seen the field in a long time and he just had major surgery a few months ago. I like him as a back up to Mebane.
- Rookie DT T.Y. McGill was disruptive on passing plays. He showed good quickness to penetrate into the backfield. He kind of reminds me of former Seahawks DT Clinton McDonald.