My brother called me last night, he's mad at Carroll

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, Pete Caroll, Superbowl Champion, is an idiot. He's clearly one of the best coaches in football. He turned around a HORRIBLE situation in 4 years, only to win a title. He did it in a way that many claimed couldn't work. He's the guy that players voted CLEARLY as the coach they would want to play for. And for the record, knows a hell of a lot more than the fans do about Football.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
The only bad thing about WT3 leaving is that every time he gets hurt or suspended on our team, we find someone like Richard Sherman or Byron Maxwell. I guess the only reason to be mad about that is we might not find anymore good CBs when he loses a starting job, the Giants will probably find the next Deion Sanders when he gets suspended for a year. lol.

I can see being mad about Clem/Red/Tater/Giacomini, but WT3 is a stretch.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":9u6eiour said:
Still shaking my head.
So, he calls me and the first thing he says is , "Carroll is an idiot". He then tirades about his ego and how many FA we have lost.
I had to remind him about the salary cap and how we have to prepare to solidify our unreplaceable future FA's. Seriously, I was shocked at him. He is a former big ten football player and knows the game or so I thought. lol.
I proceeded to remind him that John Schneider was also part of this. FA is NOT done yet and there is a very deep WR/OL class in this draft.
He was livid about losing Thurmond. I pointed out the obvious, but to no ado.

I personally am not worried. Will we repeat? Who knows. Odds are that we won't. I do feel we will be a winning team and the near future is going to be great.

I cannot wait for the draft to see what our FO has up their sleeve.

OK. My vent is over now. GoHawks!!!

Some people attract more vitriol than most. Especially people who do things differently than the norm, and have success at it. "Ra Ra" Carroll is different, successfully so, and thus a lightning rod in this regard. That has been the case all the way back to his days with the Patriots and Jets. He collects all the blame, whether deserved or not. Players leaving in free agency? Carroll's fault. Players accepting bribes in college? Carroll's fault. Players using PED's? Carroll's fault. Players using banned substances? Carroll's fault. I would contend that the brother's nonsensical, "mad at Carroll" rant runs in this same vein somewhere.

I want to delve further into one of the factors for this. Part of the reason Carroll is a lightning rod for so many is this: Most believe football is supposed to be a rugged man's sport, with wailing and gnashing of teeth, blood spilled, and both played and coached with a general disposition of 'mad at the world'. When someone behaves, talks, acts differently than the unspoken code of any group, they are assumed wrong. I was very skeptical of Carroll as well, and begrudgingly welcomed him as our new coach when hired. I didn't want what looked like a snake oil salesman for a coach/leader of our team.

Carroll exudes a lightness of being, throws the ball around with his guys, plays music during practices, talks about "our program", hugs, cheers, high-fives, laughs, and celebrates with his players and coaches. That kind of stuff was said to work with college 'kids', but not with real men. Not where the big boys and grown up play.

And lets face it, a guy that nice, with that much success, has to be doing something shady, right? How can a guy laugh and smile while he's kicking his opponent's asses up and down the field repeatedly?! He had to have cheated in college. He certainly cheated with our Seadderral Seahawks (sarcasm). We've read the stories of insinuation from NFL peers, talking heads, players, and fans alike.

Now that he's reached the pinnacle of the NFL, some have an immediate paradigm shift for the positive, some pause and wonder if he may actually be valid in his approach, and still others keep looking for the angle - assuming they're still missing how a guy like this is 'getting away with it'.

How does this apply to the original post one might ask? Whether consciously or unconsciously, many people tend to jump at any chance to attack one who makes them uncomfortable. That is how I read the brother's remarks. :les:

BlueBlood

Reaction score
OffseasonChampions":3d0cyrgx said:
Smelly McUgly":3d0cyrgx said:
DavidSeven":3d0cyrgx said:
No one wrings their hands over losing B-teamers and replaceable starters quite as hard as Seahawks fans do.

:lol:

Anyone who is mad at Pete Carroll about sixty days after he won the Super Bowl should be forced to endlessly live in 2008 forever or maybe just 1992 if they're only a Seahawks fan and not a Seattle sports fan.
2008 was the worst year for Seattle sports and it's not even close

Seahawks 4-12
Mariners 100 losses
Huskies 0-12
Sonics officially now the OKC Thunder

And I was going through a nasty divorce and lost my job, had to move in with family at 30 all in that year. Still not sure how I made it to where I am today.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2n52ilsm said:
Still shaking my head.
So, he calls me and the first thing he says is , "Carroll is an idiot". He then tirades about his ego and how many FA we have lost.
I had to remind him about the salary cap and how we have to prepare to solidify our unreplaceable future FA's. Seriously, I was shocked at him. He is a former big ten football player and knows the game or so I thought. lol.
I proceeded to remind him that John Schneider was also part of this. FA is NOT done yet and there is a very deep WR/OL class in this draft.
He was livid about losing Thurmond. I pointed out the obvious, but to no ado.

I personally am not worried. Will we repeat? Who knows. Odds are that we won't. I do feel we will be a winning team and the near future is going to be great.

I cannot wait for the draft to see what our FO has up their sleeve.

OK. My vent is over now. GoHawks!!!
It's amazing how many fans don't under salary cap ramifications or the salary cap in general. The NFL isn't like baseball with their optional cap.

sc85sis

Reaction score
OkieHawk":179x6jsp said:
I'm with you, not worried as PC/JS have been doing phenomenal in FA and the draft since arriving. Will they hit every single time, no. But they have done so well so far that I'm extremely pleased. The one worry I have is that Pete may not have the same insight with the upcoming drafts as he has had since he's been out of the college recruiting for four years now. I'm sure he still has an eye for talent, but he doesn't have that in-depth knowledge from trying to recruit for USC. I may be way off base as I'm not sure how involved he was in that process, but that is just my take.

It is an unknown how much that will affect our draft success. The seniors leaving USC now are the last of Pete's recruits. He has said that any advantage is now gone.

I do think we have a stellar group of scouts, and Pete and John have worked to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I have friends and family like your brother.

I call this syndrome the "kneejerk simpleton." Let's face it, not everyone has the time (and if they do, they do other things) to delve into the finer details of running a pro sports team. In reality, they have NO idea what they're talking about..........but in social conversations about sports they still feel the need to chime in and ACT like they do.

The end result is conversations like this where your brother just pukes up negative things to make himself sound knowledgeable about the topic.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
I fully understand fans being sad over seeing guys who helped us win a Super Bowl leave. The players on that team will forever hold a special place in fans hearts. But let's be real here. Besides Golden Tate, a guy we can all agree would've had continued success and contributed a good deal, what have the Hawks really lost?

Brandon Browner - Will be 30 years old this year. Not exactly a fast corner and losing speed. Pretty much lost his starting spot to Byron Maxwell anyway. Is also suspended the first 4 games of next year and 1 strike away from a much longer suspension

Walter Thurmond - A nice player, but like Browner, one puff (strike) away from missing an entire season. And we don't even need to get into his injury history.

Breno Giacomini - Solid starter. Hard nosed player. But it wasn't too long ago when Hawks fans were complaining about his inconsistent play and bone-headed penalties.

Clinton McDonald - Great rotational piece to the d line. But just this time a year ago, he was on the bubble, fighting for a roster spot. Was released, and came back and balled. But it's not like the Hawks can't find a guy in similar fashion.

Chris Maragos - Great special teamer. But was on the chopping block during roster cuts last year. Only stayed by taking less money. Not much in terms of actual safety depth.

O'Brien Schofield - Dude the Hawks signed for cheap and who looked nice in spots, but didn't play much overall.

Just who of that bunch is irreplaceable? These are backups and solid at best starters. Guys who are nice players, but many of who benefited from playing on an extremely talented roster, surrounded by great players. Role players on great teams often appear better than they are. Just look at a bunch of the guys who left New England during their run. Deion Branch and Tom Ashworth, anyone?

This is all going according to plan. Would the Hawks have taken any of these guys back at the right price? Sure. But they weren't going to overspend on depth and/or decent starters. Those spots on a contending team are reserved for young guys making nothing and opportunistic free agent signings. That is how you contend in the salary cap era.

Quite frankly, I love seeing some holes open up on the lower end of the roster. Just gives opportunity to the young guys already on the squad and the rookies they bring on. That's how this team found much of it's Super Bowl team. Guys like Sherman, Chancellor, Maxwell, Wright, Baldwin, etc. I'm stoked to see who is able to step up next.

It's really as simple as this. If you're talking to a Hawk fan freaking over losing guys like Tate, Breno, Thurmond, Browner, etc. Just ask them if they'd rather those guys, or potentially lose a Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Bobby Wagner, or Russell Wilson. That should do the trick.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Just ask your brother who he would cut from the current roster in order to keep the free agents that signed elsewhere...

kearly

Reaction score
OffseasonChampions":cpgm9aak said:
2008 was the worst year for Seattle sports and it's not even close

Seahawks 4-12
Mariners 100 losses
Huskies 0-12
Sonics officially now the OKC Thunder

Such an epicly bad year.

The 4-12 Seahawks team came as a surprise after five straight playoff berths. The silver lining to that season? The first high draft pick in half a decade, which we used to draft Aaron Curry.

Mariners were the first ever team to lose 100 games with a $100 million payroll that season.

Huskies were the first 0-12 team in Pac-10 conference history.

Sonics became an elite team a couple of years after being stolen away.

OP
OP
Seahwkgal

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I sent him a message asking if he would be willing to lose Sherm, Thomas, Russell W, Wags at the expense of keeping the FAs we lost and I am still hearing crickets. lol
I know I am no expert but I kinda(at the very basic level)understand the Cap and what it means..
I am just glad I got to vent this morning since he called me whining just before bed time.. :141847_bnono:
I love this board. :thirishdrinkers:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Feeding facts and reasonable actions in the face of chaos is an interesting game. I think you won. I know, it is not about winning. Not in
this case that is, it is about teaching him about how this game is played in a new kind of era with a limited amount of throwaway funds.
I think you were right way way above....but I am not gonna repeat it here. LOL

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":21w9anq9 said:
Blitzer88":21w9anq9 said:
Sounds like me and your brother have a lot in common lol.

So you're admitting to being a kneejerk fan with no critical thinking skills?

No offense to Seahawkgal or her Purdue-educated brother.

No? ;-)

BlueBlood

Reaction score
The Jim Mora Seahawks were the most painful to watch. At that point we knew for an absolute certainty that our window had slammed shut. I never dreamed that 4 years later we'd be farking champs! Unreal... The 92' Hawks were the worst quarterbacked team of all time. That was just atrocious! McQwire, Kemp, Stouffer and Gelbaugh if Im not mistaken? And every single last one of them was god awefull.