My brother called me last night, he's mad at Carroll

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I think what kills me about these people is that they never learn. They fall in love with a player or name and the world stops for them when that player is gone. It's inconceivable for them to think the move could even make the team better. I just don't know what it would take for them to understand that the rotation of personnel is needed.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
I like this receiver class, but the O-Linemen (particularly tackles) don't impress me outside of the top 2 (I like Lewan too, but he holds a lot). Was hoping RT would have been addressed in free agency since you know Okung will spend time on the sideline with injuries like he always does. Maybe we can get lucky though? It's happened before...

OP
OP
Seahwkgal

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2sjme7zr said:
The Jim Mora Seahawks were the most painful to watch. At that point we knew for an absolute certainty that our window had slammed shut. I never dreamed that 4 years later we'd be farking champs! Unreal... The 92' Hawks were the worst quarterbacked team of all time. That was just atrocious! McQwire, Kemp, Stouffer and Gelbaugh if Im not mistaken? And every single last one of them was god awefull.
It certainly is amazing how quickly that happened. 92 was the year I "almost" jumped ship because of Barry Sanders. I think Tez kept me loyal though. Looking back, I am so glad I didn't give up. God, the Lions are pathetic.

Seahawk772002

Reaction score
Blue Blood,

Thanks for the reminder on 92 season.

Most painful part was to watch Seahawks in Dallas earlier in 92, it was not pretty, but D kept it from being embarrassing.

I will never forget MNF against Denver where Pete Gross was inducted into ring of honor and Tez lead D came through for 2nd win of a very dark season. Even the ex Raider Tom Flores Seawhawks coach that night got choked up giving game ball to Pete Gross.

Few 12's remember those days; it makes you appreciate XLVIII even more.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SeaTown81":1l91dpwb said:
I fully understand fans being sad over seeing guys who helped us win a Super Bowl leave. The players on that team will forever hold a special place in fans hearts. But let's be real here. Besides Golden Tate, a guy we can all agree would've had continued success and contributed a good deal, what have the Hawks really lost?

Brandon Browner - Will be 30 years old this year. Not exactly a fast corner and losing speed. Pretty much lost his starting spot to Byron Maxwell anyway. Is also suspended the first 4 games of next year and 1 strike away from a much longer suspension

Walter Thurmond - A nice player, but like Browner, one puff (strike) away from missing an entire season. And we don't even need to get into his injury history.

Breno Giacomini - Solid starter. Hard nosed player. But it wasn't too long ago when Hawks fans were complaining about his inconsistent play and bone-headed penalties.

Clinton McDonald - Great rotational piece to the d line. But just this time a year ago, he was on the bubble, fighting for a roster spot. Was released, and came back and balled. But it's not like the Hawks can't find a guy in similar fashion.

Chris Maragos - Great special teamer. But was on the chopping block during roster cuts last year. Only stayed by taking less money. Not much in terms of actual safety depth.

O'Brien Schofield - Dude the Hawks signed for cheap and who looked nice in spots, but didn't play much overall.

Just who of that bunch is irreplaceable? These are backups and solid at best starters. Guys who are nice players, but many of who benefited from playing on an extremely talented roster, surrounded by great players. Role players on great teams often appear better than they are. Just look at a bunch of the guys who left New England during their run. Deion Branch and Tom Ashworth, anyone?

This is all going according to plan. Would the Hawks have taken any of these guys back at the right price? Sure. But they weren't going to overspend on depth and/or decent starters. Those spots on a contending team are reserved for young guys making nothing and opportunistic free agent signings. That is how you contend in the salary cap era.

Quite frankly, I love seeing some holes open up on the lower end of the roster. Just gives opportunity to the young guys already on the squad and the rookies they bring on. That's how this team found much of it's Super Bowl team. Guys like Sherman, Chancellor, Maxwell, Wright, Baldwin, etc. I'm stoked to see who is able to step up next.

It's really as simple as this. If you're talking to a Hawk fan freaking over losing guys like Tate, Breno, Thurmond, Browner, etc. Just ask them if they'd rather those guys, or potentially lose a Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Bobby Wagner, or Russell Wilson. That should do the trick.
BINGO! Well said, Your post is spot on!

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
Remember when they let Josh Wilson go and kept Kelly Jennings?

Man I questioned PC and JS.

But until they prove me wrong that they make bad moves... then i will worry.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":vjbyzscz said:
Some people attract more vitriol than most. Especially people who do things differently than the norm, and have success at it. "Ra Ra" Carroll is different, successfully so, and thus a lightning rod in this regard. That has been the case all the way back to his days with the Patriots and Jets. He collects all the blame, whether deserved or not.
-snip-
...Part of the reason Carroll is a lightning rod for so many is this: Most believe football is supposed to be a rugged man's sport, with wailing and gnashing of teeth, blood spilled, and both played and coached with a general disposition of 'mad at the world'. When someone behaves, talks, acts differently than the unspoken code of any group, they are assumed wrong. I was very skeptical of Carroll as well, and begrudgingly welcomed him as our new coach when hired. I didn't want what looked like a snake oil salesman for a coach/leader of our team.

Carroll exudes a lightness of being, throws the ball around with his guys, plays music during practices, talks about "our program", hugs, cheers, high-fives, laughs, and celebrates with his players and coaches. That kind of stuff was said to work with college 'kids', but not with real men. Not where the big boys and grown up play.

And lets face it, a guy that nice, with that much success, has to be doing something shady, right? How can a guy laugh and smile while he's kicking his opponent's asses up and down the field repeatedly?! He had to have cheated in college. He certainly cheated with our Seadderral Seahawks (sarcasm). We've read the stories of insinuation from NFL peers, talking heads, players, and fans alike.

Now that he's reached the pinnacle of the NFL, some have an immediate paradigm shift for the positive, some pause and wonder if he may actually be valid in his approach, and still others keep looking for the angle - assuming they're still missing how a guy like this is 'getting away with it'.

How does this apply to the original post one might ask? Whether consciously or unconsciously, many people tend to jump at any chance to attack one who makes them uncomfortable. That is how I read the brother's remarks. :les:

Great points.
I remember back in middle school & high school in the late 70's, the coaching icon was Vince Lombardi. (Or John Wooden, but unfortunately, I got the Lombardi-wannabe idiots).
Coaches copied Lombardi's emotionally abusive syntax (his demanding, seemingly-attacking drill sergeant manner, his "abusive" treatment of players) without understanding his *substance*. Lombardi was successful *despite* his abusive syntax, NOT *because* of it.

Carroll is successful because he has put in a lot of effort mining the minds of coaching greats like Bill Walsh, among others, and I suspect that John Wooden is somewhere very high on his list of coaching mentors as well.

Actually, when I Googled Pete Carroll/John Wooden, my guess was more on the money than I knew. The coaching soul of John Wooden lives on in Pete Carroll. Carroll has learned and channeled the *substance* of John Wooden, while consciously NOT copying Wooden's external syntax.

From: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/10/0 ... rylink=cpy
"When the Seahawks hired Carroll on Jan. 11, 2010, the label of “cheerleader” was used as a pejorative by skeptics convinced the rah-rah antics that worked so well at USC wouldn’t cut at the next level. An NFL coach who hugs and cajoles and jumps for joy? Who does that? Who’d ever done that? Not Vince Lombardi, certainly. Not George Halas. Not Tom Landry. Not Paul Brown. Not Joe Gibbs. Not Mike Ditka. Not Mike Holmgren."

From: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... med-career
Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, speaking for a June 3 piece in the Boston Globe, credited Wooden's book, "A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court," for helping to transform his career. Carroll told the Globe he read the book in 2000, after the New England Patriots had fired him and before USC had hired him.

"It hit me immediately that he had been a really successful coach before then, but once he got it all together and got it nailed, nobody could beat him," Carroll told the Globe. "It just struck me: 'I don’t have my act together like I need to.' And I knew if I had another opportunity, I wasn’t going to get another 16 years. I thought I’d already done this. I mean, I knew the importance of it. But then it hit me -- 'Nah, I really don’t know.' "

Carroll now seems to have it together in a Wooden-esque way. I'm sure other coaches will copy his syntax without understanding his substance. Pete is an original. He's the football version of John Wooden, with the organization-building savvy of Bill Walsh thrown in for good measure. And the cherry on top is Pete's own unique defensive mind and system and philosophy about how to play the game. Let the haters hate; Pete will just do what he does, and I see more Lombardis, the trophy kind, in the future.

dunceface

Reaction score
olyfan63":15c8lbql said:
Snakeeyes007":15c8lbql said:
Some people attract more vitriol than most. Especially people who do things differently than the norm, and have success at it. "Ra Ra" Carroll is different, successfully so, and thus a lightning rod in this regard. That has been the case all the way back to his days with the Patriots and Jets. He collects all the blame, whether deserved or not.
-snip-
...Part of the reason Carroll is a lightning rod for so many is this: Most believe football is supposed to be a rugged man's sport, with wailing and gnashing of teeth, blood spilled, and both played and coached with a general disposition of 'mad at the world'. When someone behaves, talks, acts differently than the unspoken code of any group, they are assumed wrong. I was very skeptical of Carroll as well, and begrudgingly welcomed him as our new coach when hired. I didn't want what looked like a snake oil salesman for a coach/leader of our team.

Carroll exudes a lightness of being, throws the ball around with his guys, plays music during practices, talks about "our program", hugs, cheers, high-fives, laughs, and celebrates with his players and coaches. That kind of stuff was said to work with college 'kids', but not with real men. Not where the big boys and grown up play.

And lets face it, a guy that nice, with that much success, has to be doing something shady, right? How can a guy laugh and smile while he's kicking his opponent's asses up and down the field repeatedly?! He had to have cheated in college. He certainly cheated with our Seadderral Seahawks (sarcasm). We've read the stories of insinuation from NFL peers, talking heads, players, and fans alike.

Now that he's reached the pinnacle of the NFL, some have an immediate paradigm shift for the positive, some pause and wonder if he may actually be valid in his approach, and still others keep looking for the angle - assuming they're still missing how a guy like this is 'getting away with it'.

How does this apply to the original post one might ask? Whether consciously or unconsciously, many people tend to jump at any chance to attack one who makes them uncomfortable. That is how I read the brother's remarks. :les:

Great points.
I remember back in middle school & high school in the late 70's, the coaching icon was Vince Lombardi. (Or John Wooden, but unfortunately, I got the Lombardi-wannabe idiots).
Coaches copied Lombardi's emotionally abusive syntax (his demanding, seemingly-attacking drill sergeant manner, his "abusive" treatment of players) without understanding his *substance*. Lombardi was successful *despite* his abusive syntax, NOT *because* of it.

Carroll is successful because he has put in a lot of effort mining the minds of coaching greats like Bill Walsh, among others, and I suspect that John Wooden is somewhere very high on his list of coaching mentors as well.

Actually, when I Googled Pete Carroll/John Wooden, my guess was more on the money than I knew. The coaching soul of John Wooden lives on in Pete Carroll. Carroll has learned and channeled the *substance* of John Wooden, while consciously NOT copying Wooden's external syntax.

From: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/10/0 ... rylink=cpy
"When the Seahawks hired Carroll on Jan. 11, 2010, the label of “cheerleader” was used as a pejorative by skeptics convinced the rah-rah antics that worked so well at USC wouldn’t cut at the next level. An NFL coach who hugs and cajoles and jumps for joy? Who does that? Who’d ever done that? Not Vince Lombardi, certainly. Not George Halas. Not Tom Landry. Not Paul Brown. Not Joe Gibbs. Not Mike Ditka. Not Mike Holmgren."

From: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... med-career
Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, speaking for a June 3 piece in the Boston Globe, credited Wooden's book, "A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court," for helping to transform his career. Carroll told the Globe he read the book in 2000, after the New England Patriots had fired him and before USC had hired him.

"It hit me immediately that he had been a really successful coach before then, but once he got it all together and got it nailed, nobody could beat him," Carroll told the Globe. "It just struck me: 'I don’t have my act together like I need to.' And I knew if I had another opportunity, I wasn’t going to get another 16 years. I thought I’d already done this. I mean, I knew the importance of it. But then it hit me -- 'Nah, I really don’t know.' "

Carroll now seems to have it together in a Wooden-esque way. I'm sure other coaches will copy his syntax without understanding his substance. Pete is an original. He's the football version of John Wooden, with the organization-building savvy of Bill Walsh thrown in for good measure. And the cherry on top is Pete's own unique defensive mind and system and philosophy about how to play the game. Let the haters hate; Pete will just do what he does, and I see more Lombardis, the trophy kind, in the future.

:thirishdrinkers: :salute: