My Case for Jayden Daniels

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't think Caleb Williams or Drake Maye are a realistic option, and we'd have to trade up (Chargers at 5) to get Jayden.

I'm all in on Jayden Daniels, and think that we should shoot for the moon on a player I think will be top 5, year in and year out. Here's my justification for my claims: Comparison: Randall Cunningham when he was at his best).

Randall Cunningham 1985 - 2001. 6'4" 212# Career passing percentage: 56.6%, TDs: 207 INTs: 134, Yards: 29,979

MVP came in 2nd three times. Lost to Boomer Esiason, Joe Montana, and Terrell Davis. All Pro once, Pro Bowl thrice

The completion percentage may seem low, but the 80s had a lot of QBs in the 55% range, including Dave Krieg at 58.5%, 38,147 yards, 261/199 TD/INT

NFL Draft Buzz: Jayden Daniels: 6'4" 212#

2023 has been nothing short of spectacular Daniels has put up a record season, leading the nation in total offense (412.2),
Touchdown passes (40),
TDs responsible for (50),
Rushing yards by a QB (1,134).
His NFL pass rating of 146.5 through 12 games is the best in FBS history. He won the SEC Offensive Player of the Week five times
Daniels is one of only two players in SEC history to pass for 3,500 yards and rush for 1,000 yards in a season, (Johnny Manziel).

2023 Stats: 12 Games, 236-327 (72.2%), 3,812 YDS, 11.7 Y/A, 40 TD, 4 INT, 208 RTG; 135 ATT, 1,134 YDS, 10 TD

An out of date Mel Kiper report:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well researched, and we honestly don't know how John and the new coach will approach drafts differently.

The narratives seemed to be that John was the one who loved to trade back, not trade up to grab players. Picks = value and flexibility from his GB days.

I think a LOT of teams are gonna be all over Daniels after his pro days. So as much as we'd all love him here, I don't think we have the draft capital to trade up, nor the GM who would give up 2-3 years of high picks to move up that far.

Rat

Reaction score
I don't think we have the horses to move up that high. Not having a second rounder hurts badly. Yeah, we could give future picks, but the Chargers are going to want better current assets than some mid-rounders. Would definitely have to throw in at least one very good, young player, like a Woolen or Mafe.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
comparing anyone to dave kreig always throws up red flags to me just because Dave threw so many int's as if he didn't care
Not saying anything about a guy I know zero about , kreig wasn't my fav , kinda like Bruuuuce Nooooo

chris98251

Reaction score
Krieg was right behind Marino for yards and completions, where he had issues was Fumbles not interceptions. Comparing anyone to Krieg is a compliment, IDFA from Morgan State who doesn't even have a Football Program anymore to the AFC Championship game as well as leading two other teams to the playoffs in KC and Detroit. He really has a HOF type career, compare his numbers with those already in, the ultimate over achiever.

12forlife

Reaction score
I would trade up for Daniels with Woolen in a heartbeat
I wish, I don't think any of the top 3 are moving, Chicago might trade with Wash or NE, to grab a 1st & 2nd in '25. But I think Williams, Maye & Daniels go 1 2 3. Chicago would be a fool not to reset at QB what has Fields done to earn $45 mil+ a year? He has only won like 1/3 of his games, yeah Chicago is taking one of the top 3.

NoGain

Reaction score
I see Williams, Maye, Daniels, and Harrison as the top four picks in the draft. Someone else might jump in there. I suppose that's possible. I see little hope at all at having a shot at any of these guys. If we had finished 7-10 or 6-11 then maybe we could have made a move. But we PCed our way out of a chance at one of the top of the board QB prospects.

Chevy

Reaction score
Daniels may go #2 overall or even #1 overall.

12forlife

Reaction score
Just discussing Williams with my uncle today. Di anyone else catch any USC games? I thought he showed alot of poor attitude in games they lost? If I had the #1 pick I think I go Maye or Daniels? Williams isn't going to a winning team out the gate, I could see him implode if he is on a 4 win team. Just a hunch?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
dude is overrated. You can get Penix that is far superior and way more pro ready for less draft capital.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You clearly didn't watch his 2 years at UW. It's hilarious how much people try to convince themselves of all the things that Penix can't do. He's a fricken monster. ONE bad game in the Championship and people act like he sucks. Nothing wrong with sticking up for one of your favorite players, Chuka clearly is a Penix fan. He's smart :LOL:

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I'm all in on the Jayden Daniels bandwagon, trade up to get him this year and take the whining from fans for not having a draft, and add a few Ravens and Chiefs FA's.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You can make a case all you want, but Daniels is going to be long gone by 16.

Top 5, probably top 3.

NoGain

Reaction score
It would be a bit of a surprise if the top 5 picks didn't include Williams, Daniels, Maye, and Harrison.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You want to be realistic at 16, start talking about JJ McCarthy or Penix.

But even McCarthy in most early mock drafts is going before 16.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Let's just get Russ back please .. He will be cheap and can do all the things
these rookies do that people want so bad.
"Let's Fly"

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I wish, I don't think any of the top 3 are moving, Chicago might trade with Wash or NE, to grab a 1st & 2nd in '25. But I think Williams, Maye & Daniels go 1 2 3. Chicago would be a fool not to reset at QB what has Fields done to earn $45 mil+ a year? He has only won like 1/3 of his games, yeah Chicago is taking one of the top 3.
Boarding on fantasy, but…if Chicago is sold on Daniels, trade down with Washington and let them reunite Williams with Kingsbury.