My draft scenario nightmare I keep having.

kearly

Reaction score
Mariota has to go to a read option team. Preferably one with hurry up. One that isn't afraid of short QBs. To a team that loves running the football and stockpiles speed on offense. Mariota will be an Eagle, and it wouldn't even shock me if he went to the Eagles in the 2nd or 3rd round. Because the Eagles are the only team that comes even close to his preferred profile. Is Mariota talented? You bet. Is he a plug 'n play QB? Hell no.

I am worried about the Rams getting Manziel though. Imagine the Rams with Manziel and Marquise Lee in the first round and Bishop Sankey in the 2nd round. That's the stuff of nightmares, right there.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":1tpdcfam said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1tpdcfam said:
I hope the Rams do this.

Mariota to me wouldn't be an upgrade on Bradford IMO and why draft Thomas when you have Austin?

Would be two wasted picks IMO.

To be fair you also said Kiko wouldn't be a good NFL LB.

And three weeks into his career he's proven me wrong?

I love stuff like this. I feel like Skip Bayless.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":1c5odbbz said:
Mariota has to go to a read option team. Preferably one with hurry up. One that isn't afraid of short QBs. To a team that loves running the football and stockpiles speed on offense. Mariota will be an Eagle, and it wouldn't even shock me if he went to the Eagles in the 2nd or 3rd round. Because the Eagles are the only team that comes even close to his preferred profile. Is Mariota talented? You bet. Is he a plug 'n play QB? Hell no.

I am worried about the Rams getting Manziel though. Imagine the Rams with Manziel and Marquise Lee in the first round and Bishop Sankey in the 2nd round. That's the stuff of nightmares, right there.

Mariota is 6'4".

I still think Mariota is going to be 10 times the pro QB that Manziel is, regardless of the offense. Its not even a question in my mind. He's bigger. He's faster. He has a stronger arm. He's smarter with the ball and his body (half of Manziels completions against Alabama would have been interceptions in the NFL. He was just lofting the ball up into double and triple coverage). He's not a diva. He doesn't improvise as well, that's the one area i'll give Manziel. And mariota isn't a vocal leader, but is a hell of a lead by example guy.

I think he could use another year in college, but there's no doubt in my mind he's going to be a very successful NFL qb.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Mariota is short? How tall does a Qb have to be to not be short in England? Here in the US 6'5 is pretty tall.

Kiko has been great so far, already has two picks and caused the fumble from Newton last week that won the bills the game.

cboom

Reaction score
Mariota may have a slightly better NFL career than the last several duck qb's, but will never be a top level NFL qb. DAT has the perfect skill set for college ball but that won't translate into the NFL, he will accomplish much less than Reggie Bush at the NFL level. I hope the Rams take them both in the 1st round, I would love to see them waste those picks.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
De'Anthony Thomas isn't a first round pick.

Mariota as an NFL QB?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I'm not sold on Mariota or DeAnthony Thomas as NFL prospects, and yes, I am a Ducks fan. (For the record I wasn't high on LMJ, either, though I did hate to see him on SF.) Mariota looks great when there's nobody pressuring him, but I think his effectivity drops rather sharply when pressured. He won't have such luck in the NFL. DAT is the same way. If he was a bowling ball like MJD, I might feel differently, but we've seen lots of guys with his skillset and size come into the NFL and become merely role players.

However, I'd love to draft some of the Ducks DTs and CBs. Especially Ifo.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3njchq4p said:
Is it me or does J way over rate every Duck?

It's certainly possible, I'm an admitted homer and am completely fine with that. I'm just sharing my opinion, not trying to be an expert.

But which guys have I overrated? Kipper has mariotA as the 23rd best prospect, that's a 1at round pick. I'm not sure where he has de'anthony, but if tavon Austin is a top ten pick then dat is surely a first rounder.

I wanted Kyle long in the 2nd, he went in the 1st. I wouldn't have touched barner in any round. I thought kiko would be great, and he has been so far. I wouldn't have drafted dion Jordan anywhere in the first round.

The one guy I overrated was lamichael James. I thought he was going to be great, and still think he might be if he gets a chance.

kearly

Reaction score
My bad, I remembered Mariota being 6'1". Was probably confusing his height with his weight, which was ultra low during his 2012 season.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":ftvg1xlk said:
I still think Mariota is going to be 10 times the pro QB that Manziel is, regardless of the offense. Its not even a question in my mind. He's bigger. He's faster. He has a stronger arm. He's smarter with the ball and his body (half of Manziels completions against Alabama would have been interceptions in the NFL. He was just lofting the ball up into double and triple coverage). He's not a diva. He doesn't improvise as well, that's the one area i'll give Manziel. And mariota isn't a vocal leader, but is a hell of a lead by example guy.

When Manziel lobs up passes, he knows what he's doing. Very similar to RW in that regard. A lot of people are fooled into thinking RW has a weak arm, but it's actually just a case of him being a very deliberate touch passer. When Manziel needs some mustard, he's got enough of it. Alabama is loaded with NFL talent on defense. If Alabama's athletes can't make those plays, most NFL defenses aren't. Plus, even if it is a problem who's to say Manziel can't adapt?

I'm not condemning Mariota*, because QBs develop. But Mariota is still primarily a 1 read guy who just isn't challenged enough to grow in that offense. That doesn't mean he's doomed to always be a one read guy. But before the Stanford game happened last year I predicted that Mariota would look awful and that's exactly what happened. Mechanical QBs fall apart against great defenses. Even elite mechanical QBs.

I think he'll be a good QB in the right environment, just like CK. If Kaepernick goes anywhere else, he's probably the latest Troy Smith or Dennis Dixon. He went to exactly the right place. If Mariota goes to exactly the right place (Philly), he'll be an NFL stat monster. But put him on the Jets? Disaster.

I think RW is lucky to land in Seattle, but I just can't see him failing anywhere. He'd be good in Jacksonville or Cleveland. The reason is because of his very high QB IQ and improvisational talent. Manziel is equally strong in those areas, though just a touch less gifted athletically. I think Wilson is better, but I think it's close. I am not terribly concerned about his personality or immaturity. He keeps his emotions in check during adverse moments in games, if he wants to hang out with strippers after the game I wouldn't care one bit. During the games, the guy wants to win more than anyone and works hard to achieve his goals. I'll bet on that guy any time.

*For the record, I would trade Keith Price for Mariota without blinking, and I think KP is probably the best QB Washington has had. In that offense, Mariota is awesome. But so was Sam Bradford at Oklahoma. Sometimes the system makes the QB, which isn't to say those QBs don't have talent. But the system they play in is very key, and it's legitimate to question how they'd do in a drastically different offense without developing the needed skillset for that offense prior to being drafted. Manziel, Bridgewater, and Boyd are natural QBs. Mariota is a very gifted but structure dependent QB. I think Mariota could absolutely be a terrific NFL QB, but only if the team that drafts him has the right plan for how to support him.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I got no problem with anybody questioning it. In the end, its all just your opinion and my opinion and we'll find out 4 or 5 years down the road who is right. As far as him fitting into an offense, I would assume (if he's a 1st round pick) that whoever drafts him would be smart enough to tailor (tailer? tayler?) their offense to fit his strengths. (as they should with any 1st round QB, not just a guy like mariota).

Totally off topic but i'll include it here rather then starting another self indulgent Ducks thread:

In his MMQB this morning Peter King mentioned that through 3 games Kyle Long should be offensive rookie of the year. I seriously, seriously doubt he'll get the award, but its cool that an o'linemen is even getting mentioned.

Also, Kiko Alonso should be in the running as well for DROY. Already 2 interceptions and a forced fumble through 3 games.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":ekquzrjs said:
CALIHAWK1":ekquzrjs said:

It's certainly possible, I'm an admitted homer and am completely fine with that. I'm just sharing my opinion, not trying to be an expert.

But which guys have I overrated? Kipper has mariotA as the 23rd best prospect, that's a 1at round pick. I'm not sure where he has de'anthony, but if tavon Austin is a top ten pick then dat is surely a first rounder.

I wanted Kyle long in the 2nd, he went in the 1st. I wouldn't have touched barner in any round. I thought kiko would be great, and he has been so far. I wouldn't have drafted dion Jordan anywhere in the first round.

The one guy I overrated was lamichael James. I thought he was going to be great, and still think he might be if he gets a chance.

I think you are a HUGE Duck's homer, at times embarrassingly so. But you are very grounded in regards to individual Duck's players. I don't even think you over-rated James, I think James went to a bad situation where he was doomed to be a #3 RB from the start and does not appear to fit their running philosophy. Did I mention I think Trent Baalke is over-rated?

I think you are overestimating Lyerla and to a minor degree, Mariota, as NFL prospects. Mariota could be everything you think he'll be but only if he hits the draft jackpot like CK and Wilson did. I get why you like Lyerla, I just don't think he's even a real NFL TE. Maybe he could be, but I'm generally wary of players that are underdeveloped and don't fit the traditional profile for the position. That said, I bet Pete loves Lyerla.

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":1jnvfjkw said:
Mariota is short? How tall does a Qb have to be to not be short in England? Here in the US 6'5 is pretty tall.

I live in the 'Couv, FYI. Although I did live in Germany for a while when I was very young.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":17gyqq98 said:
I got no problem with anybody questioning it. In the end, its all just your opinion and my opinion and we'll find out 4 or 5 years down the road who is right. As far as him fitting into an offense, I would assume (if he's a 1st round pick) that whoever drafts him would be smart enough to tailor (tailer? tayler?) their offense to fit his strengths. (as they should with any 1st round QB, not just a guy like mariota).

Totally off topic but i'll include it here rather then starting another self indulgent Ducks thread:

In his MMQB this morning Peter King mentioned that through 3 games Kyle Long should be offensive rookie of the year. I seriously, seriously doubt he'll get the award, but its cool that an o'linemen is even getting mentioned.

Also, Kiko Alonso should be in the running as well for DROY. Already 2 interceptions and a forced fumble through 3 games.

Unfortunately teams are not that smart and often think they can just buy a franchise QB. Mark Sanchez. Sam Bradford. Blaine Gabbert. All had great talent in college but failed to get the proper support on offense to fit their needs. Installing a Chip-Kelly-esque type offense is a tall order as well. Especially since the Eagles are losing games and NFL teams are starting to cool off a bit on emulating his ideas due to the various drawbacks that come with hurry up. I'm not saying they won't, I'm just saying that it's not a given. Maybe the guy that drafts Mariota has a total dumbass for a head coach.

Alonso has been very good. Not a force of nature, but a playmaker. He reminds me of rookie Lofa. I never really had an opinion on him either way. Once I saw his 40 time, I knew he'd be scratched off our team's big board.

I haven't watched Long yet in the pros. I'd bet you that the OL Seattle said they were targeting in the 2nd round was Long. He had issues on tape, but his profile screamed Tom Cable. I'm glad we didn't draft him, but I always knew he was going to be pretty good if he could fix those issues. He was too risky for my tastes, but his upside was always pretty awesome.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":2xsq2rdm said:
I think you are overestimating Lyerla and to a minor degree, Mariota, as NFL prospects. Mariota could be everything you think he'll be but only if he hits the draft jackpot like CK and Wilson did. I get why you like Lyerla, I just don't think he's even a real NFL TE. Maybe he could be, but I'm generally wary of players that are underdeveloped and don't fit the traditional profile for the position. That said, I bet Pete loves Lyerla.

I'm actually a bit down on Lyerla right now. He's got all the skills and athleticism you could possibly want but he kind of seems like one of those kids who was the ultra amazing athlete from the time he could tie his shoes and therefor never really had to work on his craft. I'm actually liking the Ducks other two tight ends better then him right now.

That said, I still think he's going to be a good pro. But he's going to need a coach that will light a fire under his ass to become a true professional, not just an athlete.

cover-2

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1gah2vvx said:
CALIHAWK1":1gah2vvx said:

Since you are a self admitted homer I want to get your thoughts of a couple of players who really don't get talked about. What can you tell me about OLB Boseko Lokombo. I read he is one of the most athletic guys on Oregon's defense and at 6-3 230 lbs he kind of fits the size or at least length Coach Carroll likes with his LB's. Another player is DT Ricky Havili-Heimuli. He is listed at 6-4 314, is he strictly a run stopper/1-tech or can he also provide some pressure up the middle. Any insight on these two players would be cool. Also, about what rounds do you think these two players may go.

Here is a quick highlight clip of Lokombo, his athleticism really shows up on this clip.
[youtube]4rB3E-8KsOk[/youtube]

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Lokombo is a guy who I thought would take a huge leap forward this year out of the shadow of Kiko Alonso and Michael Clay, but I think he's been outplayed by a couple of our other linebackers Derrick Malone and Tony Washington. He's a good, but not great player who makes WOW plays every once in awhile. I think in the NFL at the very least he'll be a heck of a special teamer because of his athleticism and he'll be a role playing linebacker but I don't know if he'll ever be a star. I'd say probably 3rd round is his ceiling and 5th round his floor. He should do really well at the combine. *fun fact: Lokombo was already a first round pick in the Canadian football league draft (he's Canadian)*

Havili-Heimuli actually got beat out this year and is not starting, but I think that says more about Arik Armstead who beat him out then it does about HH. I'd put our other senior DT Wade Kelikipi right in the same category. They're both capable of getting sacks but its usually after our perimeter players flush the QB into them. They both stuff things pretty well. I would assume they'll both be 5th round or lower type guys. They'll both have careers in the NFL but neither will be a star.

The Ducks best senior d'linemen and the guy who I think will be the best pro is Taylor Hart. 6'6", 287 pound defensive end. He's not a dominant speed pass rusher but was still the Ducks leading sack guy last year I believe. He'll be a really good 3-4 DE in the NFL. I could imagine him doing really well at the REd Bryant position for the Seahawks, and bringing more of a pass rush then Big Red does. NFLdraftscout.com has him listed as a 2nd round guy.

The d'line is definitely the Ducks strength right now. I think they have 6 or 7 guys in their 2-deep who are future NFL players. I wouldn't be surprised if both Armstead and Buckner, who are both true sophomores, will be future first round picks. With Armstead possibly being a top 10 type guy if he continues to develop.

The first guy off the draft board for the Ducks will probably be Ifo EKpre Olumo, the CB. He's almost surely a 1st round pick and would fit right in with the legion of boom, but of course, I really doubt we'll go CB in the 1st round.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I should add that Lokombo will probably start making more of an impact now that we're getting into pac 12 play. He's an excellent blitzer but hasn't really been used as such so far because the Ducks have been playing very vanilla defensive schemes.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Wade reminds me of a Seattle DL, a hard worker who over achieves. He'll be drafted in the 6th round or signed as a FA, but will work his way onto a team.

Bolo has all the tools but disappears at times. If he could put it together the sky would be the limit for him, 6'3 240 and 4.45 40. Good news is he's been a first round pick two years in a row in Canada, so he always has that to fall back on.

Latest posts