My Kind Of Beef With Russell Okung

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
What do you think are the chances the Seahawks could restructure and extend Okung's current contract to a deal somewhere between the lines of both SFO's tackles.

Anthony Davis got a 5 yr, 33.2 m extension. 6.64 million per.

Joe Staley got a 6 yr, 43.2 m extension. 7.2 million per.

I would put Okung's value in between both players, Okung is not as good of a run-blocker Davis is nor as good of a Pass-blocker Joe Staley is. Not to mention that Okung has missed 21 starts out of the team's 71 total games (64 RS, 7 PS) over the last 4 years.

The total money Okung was scheduled to earn in those 4 years was a whopping $40 million. The contract language is pretty confusing... Overthecap.com put Okung earning 29.98 million in base salaries/roster bonuses but also said he received $10 million in Guaranteed salary advanced.

Okung, the number 6 overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft, signed a six year contract worth a base value of $48.5 million with the Seahawks. Okung received a %1.68 million signing bonus and $2 million roster bonus in 2010. In 2011 the Seahwks paid Okung his $10 million guaranteed salary advance. Okung earned his one time $5 million roster bonus in 2011 due to playing time in 2010. As a result of reaching his playtime incentives he will earn $200,000 workout bonuses from 2011 through 2015 and multiple escalators throughout he life of the contract. In total Okung received $29.3 million in guarantees.

But whether if its 30 million or 40 million its still a lot of damn money even with the games missed that could make his total earnings closer to $20/$30 million depending on which figure is correct. For instance, Earl Thomas in the same 4 years, while starting every game, while being a bigger impact player on the field has only earned about $14 million in the last 4 years.

If the Seahawks cut Okung this year, it would save $6.68m against the cap. 2013 regular season taught us that this team could survive and go 7-1 without Okung, and be 6-2 with him. And that this team could do it with an old, overmatched Guard like Paul McQuistan who got thoroughly dominated, yet the team continued to win despite it.

Thats leverage. If I'm Schneider, Carroll, and Cable. I'm looking at the first round pick and looking at OT. I'm looking at Bailey, Bowie, and Hauptmann and challenging them, developing them every day. I'm looking at all the LTs on the market or could be on the market and not comparing them against Okung but how big of an improvement they'd be over McQuistan.

Because lets say Russell Okung loves playing for the Seahawks and understands we have to pay players for their contributions to keep this thing going. Lets say he's on that same page with us and possibly sees all that writing on the wall that the team might prepare to move on without him and his giant contract when he has yet to start an entire season's worth of games. So, Okung does restructures/re-negotiates his deal for an extension and instead of saving $6.68 million against the cap by being cut, he only costs $6.68 million against the cap in 2014. He would still save the team 4.56m and that could be the difference in being able to re-sign Giacomini or the difference of keeping Red Bryant, if Okung theoretically liked and had relationships with both of those players.

I'm not saying this absolutely needs to happen, I like Okung and feel his best years are still ahead of him, but 11.24 million is just too damn much to give to an oft-injured fringe Pro-Bowl talent who has only started and played in 70% of his games since entering the league.

And yes I do understand the parallels to Harvin. No need to talk about that here but I will say this, in 2009, Percy Harvin signed a 5 year, 14.5 million contract. In 2010, Russell Okung signed a 6 year, 58 million contract.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Okung is not a fringe pro-bowl talent. He's a no doubt pro-bowl talent when healthy. His injury history is concerning, but cutting him or trying to get him to restructure just isn't worth it. The only lineman this team should think about restructuring their contract is Max Unger.

Cartire

Reaction score
Okung is a solid LT. LTs are not a dime a dozen, and when you get a solid one, you pay him. End of discussion.

main

Reaction score
Yes, his injury history concerns me with giving him a pricey long term contract..

drdiags

Reaction score
How do you know whether the team is working with him on a redo of his contract or not? Tough that you have a beef with him, but the club paid him the contract and set the details. Should he walk into the FO and say, hey, tear up my contract and do one that is more reasonable for you under the new CBA? If the club goes to him and ask him to redo his contract for cap relief and he says no and it becomes public knowledge, then I can see getting upset. Until then, this post doesn't make sense.

All this has been taken care of with the new CBA. Every player drafted under the old CBA is getting to the point where the adjustment is going to be made. This just seems like a pre-emptive strike on an issue that may well already be in the process of being resolved. I can see it stating reasons why you feel he should have his contract redone but where's the beef?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If Okung was cut tomorrow, several NFL teams would offer him $10M/yr immediately. Jake Long signed last year with St. Louis for $34M/4 years, and he is older than Okung and considered worse.

Okung's contract avg. is $8M/yr. 2014 is a balloon year in terms of cap. Next year, it drops to a $7.2M cap hit -- perfectly reasonable. Play it out, and offer him an extension next off-season at a good number. I have some concerns too, but there's nothing to do right now except hope that his toe is alright.

Meeker

Reaction score
I'm not for handing a pricey extension to someone who has missed 4+ games in 3 of his 4 seasons.

MPLogick

Reaction score
Joe Staley is underpaid.

And the Seahawks need more good OL, not less. It's the weakest spot on the team.

hawk45

Reaction score
Really good LTs, even with injury concerns, are difficult enough to find that you just have to put up with the injuries and pay them unless you're completely convinced they're not going to be able to maintain health or unless you have a solid replacement. Or unless your QB is Peyton Manning who can get rid of the ball quick (except vs. the Hawks).

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Fact of the matter is that when 300+ pound men are thrown to the ground....again and again.... body parts are bound to get broken. Think about it...how many men do you know that are able to take this abuse year after year? Soooo...now we know why they are paid the "big bucks". We can quibble here on this message board about what each body is worth, but I have to admit that I wouldn't subject my body to that abuse.....no matter what the monetary reward!

hawknation2014

Reaction score
He battled through last season with a gnarly toe injury. Once he gets healthy, he'll be back at his All-Pro level this year.

Honestly, I don't think we win the NFC Championship game without Okung.

bigcc

Reaction score
The superbowl very well might have played out differently were Okung out and Von Miller in.....

with teams like edge rushers that the NFCW has, Okung has added value to us, and riding with Bowie/Bailey as your LT for the season is an extremely risky proposition at this point....

if he took a 6/43 extension/restructure I'd be ecstatic

sc85sis

Reaction score
Yes we survived Okung being out, but we were lucky that Wilson didn't get seriously hurt.

Tical21

Reaction score
Can you imagine our starting O-Line without Okung? And he doesn't hold the leverage? It is almost like you have the ability to read my mind and choose to post the exact opposite of my opinion on just about every subject.

AgentDib

Reaction score
bigcc":rxe2eemh said:
The superbowl very well might have played out differently were Okung out and Von Miller in.....
Okung is valuable, but this is quite a stretch considering our defense outscored their offense. The NFCCG is perhaps a better example to play what if? with.

bigcc

Reaction score
AgentDib":2ufgct14 said:
bigcc":2ufgct14 said:
Okung is valuable, but this is quite a stretch considering our defense outscored their offense. The NFCCG is perhaps a better example to play what if? with.

fair enough, my main point still stands though regarding his value to the team.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
When healthy Is he physically capable of protecting the blindside of a mobile QB? And can he stay healthy when asked to do so?
If our staff doesn't believe he is the long term fit then this is the draft to find his eventual replacement. What ever happens the side line shot of him holding the hawk will always be one of my favorite Super Bowl memory's.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Cartire":2eefwwr2 said:
Okung is a solid LT. LTs are not a dime a dozen, and when you get a solid one, you pay him. End of discussion.
For the most part you are correct however I'm watching combine coverage and the experts claim this is the deepest OL draft in history with starters to be had into the middle rounds. Mayock just said he rates 7 OL in this draft higher than the one who went 1 last year. This would seem a good draft to hedge our bets with Okung and Unger?

Steve2222

Reaction score
Well to play devils advocate here. Seattle proved this year you can win a Super Bowl with an average OL that is dreadful in pass protection.

drdiags

Reaction score
John Clayton just said on KIRO that he is hearing the cap is going to $132 Mil instead of the $130 Mil previously thought as late as yesterday. Could change a few things regarding the urgency of getting some contracts re-done.