My preseason 2 cents

Mick063

Reaction score
Too many folks want to pin Turbin's inept running style onto the offensive line.

Once Lynch rips off a few good runs, everyone will be commenting on how quickly the front group "gelled".

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Fade":1wo8t3o8 said:
2) Kris Richard it going to be a Head Coach next year that is how highly I think of him, but he & Pete got out coached by Andy Reed. Having Bruce Irvin matched up with their #1 Wide Receiver Jeremy Maclin just by simply lining him up in the backfield.

Personally, I think Reid just outcoached himself. It was plain stupid to put that on tape during a meaningless preseason game. SEA just stayed in its base defense as you would expect given that it's preseason and who cares. No one's winning trophies for schemes right now. All it does is guaranty DEN and SD are going to think about how to defend it before real games even start.

Tical21

Reaction score
Some notes:

It's too hard to see he line play from the tv copy. Our TE's couldn't block in the running game. They got manhandled. Luke Willson is not a NFL player.

We still can't beat man. And KC ran it ALL NIGHT LONG. It's ridiculous.

Our second drive, we saw man, Kearse got a great release, Russ wanted to go to him hot and he didn't even turn and look. We also had the second option wide open and Russ couldn't get to him in time, or that play picks up 20. The next play, we saw soft man again, knew it was coming, Russell had all day, Kearse got wide open on an out, and Russell missed pretty bad.

Michael Bennett was all over the place. Didn't show up much in the stats, but he was a man amongst boys out there.

3rd drive, soft man, Russell looks left, double slant concept, both wide open. No pressure. No throw. Runs around in circles, gain of three. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

We don't have the athletes for drag routes, which is what you run if you can't beat man any other way.

Nowak got blown up a few times. Seemed to have a pretty rough night. Britt kind of looked lost out there, which is fine.

Russell threw a really bad comeback to Kearse and should have seen Peters sitting on it. If Peters isn't a rookie, that's six points.

Wow, Rubin plays really high. He kind of stands and chases. It gets him in a lot of plays, but I don't think it holds up big at the LOS.

Russell had a gorgeous back shoulder throw up the seam to Graham, against man 1. 6'7" is nice.

He then followed it up with an awful throw to Baldwin on the following third down. It was a drag route, Baldwin was wide open. It's preseason, I don't think he'll miss it when they matter, but man that was bad.

Tye Smith didn't have a good game. He can't play in the slot. He doesn't have the feet for it. There were a couple plays where he wasn't within 5 yards on crossing routes. He'll learn to stay away from the traffic a little bit, but he looked a little slow today. I'd love to see him on Cary Williams' side to see what happens. I can't remember which side he played in college, but my guess is it was the same side he's playing primarly now, on the defense's left.

BJ Daniels is going to have a couple plays in this league. He can make some people miss.

Christine Michael is going to be really good, but he may be a bit more like Alexander where he is lethal with a hole, and kind of has trouble getting through the line without one.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the folks here. To summarize:

I'm not worried about the offense....yet. Like some have said, they've improved where they had to, and against a better front 7 and one of the best pass rushing duos in the NFL.

Not too worried about Jimmy's blocking. It's a work in progress like a lot of stuff in the preseason. He also did ok a couple of times matched up on Houston, even with the hold. Houston makes a lot of Tackles look silly.

One thing I liked about Michael: he hit the hole FAST. It might not have been the right hole, but he's going to get there quick. He doesn't dance and makes a decision and go. That's going to help in the long run.

Turbin is solid but unspectacular. When the OL is in flux like this, it hurts him by making him indecisive. I can't remember if it was him or Michael (think it was Turbo), but he hit the hole on the right side on a run, where there was a massive hole right up the center. He still got 8 yards, but he could've gone for 20 up the middle.

Not worried about red zone either. We're not forcing it to Jimmy, Matthews was out, Lynch was out, etc.

I liked KPL's field speed, but he seems a bit light in the pants. He got over powered on one play and usually gets knocked back when making the tackle.

Niles Davis picking through the scrum on the outside was driving me crazy. Didn't see it too much with the first team, but the 2nd team and on just can't seem to set the edge. Irvin is very underrated at setting the edge by the way.

I don't think Archer is inaccurate, I just think he needs to make better decisions. He's young and you can see it when he gets pressured. When he had time, he looked really sharp.

I don't get the Kearse hype. We keep hearing about it in TC, but I don't see it on the field.

Overall, I liked the improvement. Positive steps.

Fade

Reaction score
Mick063":23osgaeh said:
Too many folks want to pin Turbin's inept running style onto the offensive line.

Once Lynch rips off a few good runs, everyone will be commenting on how quickly the front group "gelled".

Truth. I can already hear it now from fans and media.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
In general, I liked what I saw.

The Oline looked much better. Not great by any chance, but with some more playing time, learning each others strengths/weakness/thinking, learning line reads, gaining cohesiveness etc., this could be an interesting group.

Not happy with Michaels turning the wrong way, but love his burst. It seems every time I'm ready to give up on this guy, he shows that burst! Not many RBs have that kinda acceleration. IMHO.

RW looked a little rusty with his throws, but nothing I'd worry about. To me, it appeared he used the pocket more, and I think that's a plus because it adds one more weapon to his arsenal.

Our Dline does look strong. thought the LBs were killing it, and when ET, Sherm, and Bam Bam come back...Katey bar the door!

Love Lockett on returns, especially on punts.

2 cents.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tical21":2nu8vfmy said:
Some notes:

It's too hard to see he line play from the tv copy. Our TE's couldn't block in the running game. They got manhandled. Luke Willson is not a NFL player.

We still can't beat man. And KC ran it ALL NIGHT LONG. It's ridiculous.

Our second drive, we saw man, Kearse got a great release, Russ wanted to go to him hot and he didn't even turn and look. We also had the second option wide open and Russ couldn't get to him in time, or that play picks up 20. The next play, we saw soft man again, knew it was coming, Russell had all day, Kearse got wide open on an out, and Russell missed pretty bad.

Michael Bennett was all over the place. Didn't show up much in the stats, but he was a man amongst boys out there.

3rd drive, soft man, Russell looks left, double slant concept, both wide open. No pressure. No throw. Runs around in circles, gain of three. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

We don't have the athletes for drag routes, which is what you run if you can't beat man any other way.

Nowak got blown up a few times. Seemed to have a pretty rough night. Britt kind of looked lost out there, which is fine.

Russell threw a really bad comeback to Kearse and should have seen Peters sitting on it. If Peters isn't a rookie, that's six points.

Wow, Rubin plays really high. He kind of stands and chases. It gets him in a lot of plays, but I don't think it holds up big at the LOS.

Russell had a gorgeous back shoulder throw up the seam to Graham, against man 1. 6'7" is nice.

He then followed it up with an awful throw to Baldwin on the following third down. It was a drag route, Baldwin was wide open. It's preseason, I don't think he'll miss it when they matter, but man that was bad.

Tye Smith didn't have a good game. He can't play in the slot. He doesn't have the feet for it. There were a couple plays where he wasn't within 5 yards on crossing routes. He'll learn to stay away from the traffic a little bit, but he looked a little slow today. I'd love to see him on Cary Williams' side to see what happens. I can't remember which side he played in college, but my guess is it was the same side he's playing primarly now, on the defense's left.

BJ Daniels is going to have a couple plays in this league. He can make some people miss.

Christine Michael is going to be really good, but he may be a bit more like Alexander where he is lethal with a hole, and kind of has trouble getting through the line without one.

:pukeface:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2015":gaxmjrki said:
Did everyone see Chiefs guard Duvernay-Tardif tackle his own teammate after a deflected pass?

Ezgif 4282582596

Haaaa! Looks like he was trying to get around him to Bennett, but ran out of skill.

erik2690

Reaction score
Just something to keep in the back of your mind for the offense is that we are using a very limited playbook + no Marshawn. It's not exactly very close to a true look. That said I saw way more things to make me think half full with that performance. The run block and a couple poor throws was mainly what my untrained eye saw, I think both can get way better.

seabowl

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1wde2mie said:
In general, I liked what I saw.

The Oline looked much better. Not great by any chance, but with some more playing time, learning each others strengths/weakness/thinking, learning line reads, gaining cohesiveness etc., this could be an interesting group.

Not happy with Michaels turning the wrong way, but love his burst. It seems every time I'm ready to give up on this guy, he shows that burst! Not many RBs have that kinda acceleration. IMHO.

RW looked a little rusty with his throws, but nothing I'd worry about. To me, it appeared he used the pocket more, and I think that's a plus because it adds one more weapon to his arsenal.

Our Dline does look strong. thought the LBs were killing it, and when ET, Sherm, and Bam Bam come back...Katey bar the door!

Love Lockett on returns, especially on punts.

2 cents.

Sorry but have to disagree about our Oline. They suuuuuuucked!!!!! This Oline is atrocious and if they don't get it right our star QB will be a dead QB. I just can't believe outside of Mathis that there aren't better free agent linemen than what we have in the lineup now. Outside of Sweezy and Okung they all seem to suck. Frankly Okung and even Sweezy have their sucky moments too.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":10rzsl37 said:
Even though there are a lot of things to be positive about, I get the feeling that our offense is going to be screwed if Marshawn ever gets hurt this year. It feels to me like the offense is built to rely on him more than ever before.
If that does happen (please God, NO!), the only way we'll see the Hawks move the ball consistently IMO is to implement an offense based on a short passing game featuring Jimmy, more of a true wet coast system.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Agree with the above comments about Marshawn.

Starting OLine group looked much better but am totally unsure about C, the backups don't seem able to push the pile well. Still think the OLine has a long long way to go however before they will be acceptably competent. Am hopeful as well about Mathis.

Liked what I saw from Graham except for his blocking which he will need to improve to be even passable but think the O is still struggling, missing physicality and some smash mouth toughness. They will need the balance of the preseason to get things together. Russell's accuracy seemed a bit off at times too. When the whole starting O is playing I expect things to be a lot more effective on short yardage. We'll all be happier when they start playing Marshawn.

The DLine will be awesome this season if they continue to gel together like it showed last night. Thought however there were a few times that they or the LBs didn't tackle well allowing big plays as Smith or KC's RB broke tackles for huge gains when it initially appeared that with a sure tackle the play was broken up, however those tackle were not secured. Some teaching moments for the the D will be on tape. The team has some excellent depth now for the pass rush and a stout interior group.

Wagner's INT was an amazing play that not many others could make, Wright played well, and Irvin now looks every solid on the edge against the run, that pass play against Maclin was a pure mismatch though.

Shead had a very solid game and has really shown his versatility, Bailey played well enough to separate from his rivals and appears to be the #2 SS. Didn't see KC often challenge any other CB than Shead however? The DB crew that started looked very capable, however when the genuine starters show up those guys with the pass rush the team now has will terrify opposing QBs.

Generally the D looks very good and we haven't really yet seen the whole #1 group yet.

The referees made quite a few terrible calls that really favoured KC. At least one of those roughing the passer calls were nonsense and that goal line non call on the holding allowing KC to have breathing room when the D was doing a good job holding them there took away an opportunity for solid field position at the end of the game.

If the team had taken full advantage of their offensive opportunities the Hawks would have likely won.

I thought there were many areas of significant improvement but it still looks like preseason.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Defense looked great, even with second string DB's. I realize Alex and the Chiefs are not a big passing team, but this defense will be fine.

Offense was improved, but still a bit shaky. They will get better.

This is going to be a fun year.

AVL

Reaction score
Since our run game/ offense is set up to take control in the second have against a tired defense, preseason games fail to provide that situation. Too many moving parts.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":20si76pq said:
What the hell happened to Patrick Lewis? I thought he did a great job in relief last season and now he's relegated to garbage time.
They have seen quite a lot of both Lewis and JeanPierre at C already. It makes sense for them to give a lot of playing time to Nowak as they have much less information on him.

Jville

Reaction score
Patrick Lewis:

I enjoyed the stout power of Patrick Lewis last year. His range was limited but he presented a different look (push) at center.

This year ..... too my eye ..... Patrick Lewis looks noticeably heavier and less rangy. His 2015 build looks more like that of a run stopping nose tackle. I think what he offers, is limited (specialized) compared to other options at center.

Chawker

Reaction score
The 2015 Seahawks aren't going to be a whole lot different then last years team, the players cracking into starting positions are at TE, C, DT and 1 CB. Which by NFL league averages is pretty dam sweet position. Oh, sure our OL line will get juggled around as the season rolls on. Its all part of there plan.
Were 0-2 in the PREseason but, the part that I really like is the fact that we were close and putting up a fight in the end. The rest, Pete and his coaches will have them all tuned up for our season opener.
SMILE its all good. Cheers

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I'm surprised so many thought this was a good game for Christine Michael. He killed one play by missing a hand off and forcing Archer to tuck and run. He's still not controlling the ball all the way to the ground. He never shows power or vision. If there is no clear hole in front of him he generally runs into his blockers and falls down at first contact. He's got excellent burst, but too often he explodes into the pile instead of through it. Perhaps with more carries he could get a better feel for the blocking (when there is blocking) but he will never get enough carries behind Lynch.

I'll be very surprised if he's not one of the first cuts.

olyfan63

Reaction score
irocdave":3jus01zz said:
Archer has looked good against scrubs and has that Kurt Warner vibe to him.

I also posted a few days ago that he made me think of Kurt Warner. Hope there is no need to test that theory this year.