My Rally Experience

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The wife and I left our home in Maple Valley at 8:45am to head down to the city. We decided to drive through Renton and take Airport Way. We think it was a great choice as traffic was fairly light given the situation. There was no parking anywhere we could find. Finally as the anxiety was exponentially rising, we found a small sign that said JAXX TAILGATING. It was $30 bucks to park, only about a mile south of the stadium so we were glad to pay it.

We made our way right into the stadium. No bag checking, no real security (not like at the games)...They scanned our tickets and we were in the door. A bummer because had we known we could bring food/blankets, etc in, we would have done so. We found a spot in the lower bowl south endzone and set up camp...

rally5.jpg

It was bone-chilling freezing! I had long johns on top to bottom, a sweatshirt, my jersey, a full face mask (successfully employed by bank robbers the world over for decades), two pairs of socks and boots. We had those warm packets as well, and we slipped them in our gloves. Even still, it was nearly unbearable. We sat in our chairs for nearly 5 hours, waiting for the team as they made their way through the parade route. Q13 had a broadcast showing on both big screens so we got to enjoy the festivities as it happened.

Here's Cindy (my wife) anxiously awaiting the rally...

rally4.jpg

What was really strange and makes no sense to us at all, is that they had the entire west side lower bowl blocked off. Absolutely no fans were allowed in the club and charter section of the west side. You could not access the Pro Shop from the inside as well. So what you ended up with is the Hawks Nest, South endzone and east side lower bowl filled. There was smatterings of fans in the lower portion of the west and east upper bowls but that was it. Why they did this is beyond us. We were expecting (and kept hearing the stadium was sold out) a full stadium with a pour over into Safeco. Why they felt the need to open up Safeco and not fill the CLink will remain a mystery to us.

They also only opened up a few concessions so the wait in line was over an hour. Pretty brutal I must say. At any rate, it was finally time to welcome the players and coaches. It was a pleasant surprise to have HoFer Walter Jones raise the 12th Man flag...

rally7.jpg

The 747 fly over was pretty cool and fired up the crowd...

rally1.jpg

With the stadium half empty and a crowd that had been waiting for up to nearly 5 hours in freezing weather, it was understandable that the noise level was nowhere near Volume 12. When the players were introduced, it was painfully one player at a time. The players looked visibly tired and cold. We felt bad for them. The loudest cheer was of course reserved for the star players and especially when Russell Wilson was introduced, walking out holding the Lombardi.

The rally itself was fun. The players danced and hopped up and down, smiling and laughing a lot while the speeches were made. It is clear how much the team loves the 12's. That's 100% real folks. They know this could not have happened without the support and dedication and NOISE the 12's bring all season long. While I have many suggestions to improve next year's SB celebration (see what I did there?), at the end of the day, it was worth it to say I was there for the Seahawks first ever Super Bowl Parade/Rally. The fireworks and ticker tape was a nice touch to give us there in attendance a feeling of what it was like at the past game ceremony of SBXLVIII.

WHAT'S NEXT?

rally6.jpg

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Had a good time there, myself. You got much better parking than we did. We were nearly in Georgetown.

As to the west side lower bowl, discovered that the RV show is about to start, so that whole lower concourse is filled with RV's. Same with the convention center space.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Those of us out of towners who couldn't be there get to live vicariously through posts like these

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
Thanks Aros. Man, I so want to move back to Seattle. The Mrs. NorCalHawk12 won't have it, though. Too gray she says. I say "That's Seahawk away colors..." Doesn't work...

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Glad to share. Sorry the photos weren't more spectacular. I do have video as they announced Russell Wilson that is pretty cool. I will post the YouTube link once I get it on my computer and published.

Still confused why the Seahawks opened up Safeco yet more than half of CLink was empty??

kidhawk

Reaction score
Aros":2o9m96zd said:
Glad to share. Sorry the photos weren't more spectacular. I do have video as they announced Russell Wilson that is pretty cool. I will post the YouTube link once I get it on my computer and published.

Still confused why the Seahawks opened up Safeco yet more than half of CLink was empty??

I remember on the broadcast, something being mentioned about a block of seats being held empty for something but I honestly can't remember what it was for.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yeah they said on the broadcast that there is an RV show going on today (Thursday) so they did not want people wandering through and messing everything up that is clean and ready to go on that side of the stadium.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Strange. I don't see what the RV show had to do with those seats during the rally? I give the organization a lot of leeway being that this was the first Super Bowl parade/rally ever planned. Hopefully this time next year they will have it down pat. :)

Suggestions:

- Move the parade to a weekend. Having it during a weekday is crazy. If it is going to be on a weekday, the State should make it a State Holiday. This also allows for much better planning, more event staff, more parking opportunities, etc...

- Fill the stadium to max capacity! Quite frankly, as cool as it was for the team to see the hundreds of thousands of fans along the parade route, it seemed anti-climactic to end the rally with a less-than-half full stadium of 12s. The short window of notification to STH's to print out tickets seemed terribly last second.

- Only use Safeco as a bleed-over if CLink is at max capacity, for those non STH's who want to celebrate the rally.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Also, I would have the stage in the middle of the field, not at one endzone. Maximizes best viewing for most fans. Okay, that ends the constructive criticism portion of my Rally comments! It was an amazing experience and one ALL 12's will never forget! SO PROUD!

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
[youtube]UoY--_YOw1U[/youtube]

Largent80

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Todd. It was probably better that I wasn't there since my face was drenched in tears watching it.

I would have froze my beak off.

dbmack

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience. I thought the television coverage was atrocious for those of us who couldn't attend. I only watched whatever Seahawks.com showed so I don't know if there was better coverage elsewhere but those announcers wouldn't keep their mouths shut and the quality of the video was horrible in places. The video did get better the closer it got to the stadium and for the ceremony but the announcers were still horrble. I am adding better television coverage to your list of many suggestions to improve for next year's SB celebration since it was on their official site.

drdiags

Reaction score
Aros, the broadcast stated that the RV show had a ton of entries blocked off on the west side with RVs. Too bad you didn't get to sniff around to see if that was the case or not. They also had winterized parts of the stadium (same thing the Mariners had done, thus the upper section and other parts of that stadium being closed off).

Those pesky RV shows.

dutchman063

Reaction score
Didnt make the trip up from portland and am glad i didnt... my bigscreen and warm living room was once again more than suitable for my experience

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
drdiags":2parol54 said:
Aros, the broadcast stated that the RV show had a ton of entries blocked off on the west side with RVs. Too bad you didn't get to sniff around to see if that was the case or not. They also had winterized parts of the stadium (same thing the Mariners had done, thus the upper section and other parts of that stadium being closed off).

Those pesky RV shows.

Well, then, yet another suggestion to add to the list: Do NOT schedule Super Bowl Parade/Rally during a convention hall event! :D

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
That section is fed by the same entrances/exits/bathrooms blocked off for the Boat Show and now RV show.

The only way to have people legally (fire code) in those seats would be to completely undo all of the setup work for the RV that opened today:

http://theseattlervshow.com/

I'm sure it just wasn't feasible to re-do everything in time for the opening.