Nate Silver: The Seahawks, in a close one

OP
OP
Our Man in Chicago

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
I put more stock in Barnwell's picks than Silver's, as football games often ride on statistically anomalous plays. The small sample size also plays into it.

But I've been a fan of Silver since we used to see each other in my neighborhood. The guy lived literally three blocks from me for years (on Wood Street in Wicker Park right by the Beachwood). I introduced myself to him years ago, and he seemed shocked that anyone knew who he was. This was not long after his blog had moved from burrito brackets to politics.

bobdigital

Reaction score
Interest article and i think it is correct in this will be one of the best SB match ups ever as far as even strength and overall ability.

A few thing about it are clearly wrong though. For example It says this years Seattle is about 100 ELO higher than last years. You would be hard pressed to find someone think this is the case.

This is a hard game to quantify with stats cause both teams have been world beaters at times as well as looked barely average for stretches.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Silver picked 49ers over Ravens couple years ago.....maybe he's the one that pulled the plug on the lights.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Chawks1":33o6olrn said:
Silver picked 49ers over Ravens couple years ago.....maybe he's the one that pulled the plug on the lights.
One of the few times he has been wrong. He's usually spot on in elections or super bowls.

kearly

Reaction score
Most people picked the 49ers, they were clearly the better team going in and Baltimore didn't have the team speed to contain Kaepernick. I think if they played that SB 10 times, Baltimore wins 3 of them. They just happened to get one of those three.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
If you read the actual article, Silver's Elo ratings give the Seahawks a 2.5 point advantage. He seems to have reduced his prediction to one point by deducting the Patriots' loss to Buffalo.

. The Vegas line opened as a pick ’em, and most sports books have the Patriots as mere one-point favorites. Elo, which loves the Seahawks, differs slightly here: It has Seattle as 2.5-point favorites. But that’s partly because the system, in its simplicity, punished the Patriots for their meaningless Week 17 loss against Buffalo. Without that game, the Patriots’ Elo rating would be 1756, which would make Seattle only one-point favorites and which would vault this matchup ahead of Super Bowl XIII into the top slot of all time.

He doesn't mention that Vegas opened with the Seahawks as a 2.5-point favorite. Like Silver's decision to deduct the Patriots' loss to Buffalo, it has been subjective biases that have reduced the line.

Erebus

Reaction score
bobdigital":6jve30n6 said:
A few thing about it are clearly wrong though. For example It says this years Seattle is about 100 ELO higher than last years. You would be hard pressed to find someone think this is the case.

ELO ratings build off previous years. They aren't just based on one year.