National Signing Day.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Duck target Calvin Bundage chooses Oklahoma State. He's going to be a fun one for Peaches to watch. Plays mean and hits like a truck.

Only Duck target remaining is 5 star linebacker Caleb Kelly. He announces at 5:30 tonight. Pretty big long shot for the Ducks.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
kearly":3q0t1yd7 said:
Not to say that Browning is Tom Brady, but the UW passing offense reminded me some of New England last year in how they used the spread and Browning's outstanding accuracy on slant route throws to turn average joe WRs into efficient targets.

Getting a big name would help, but what ultimately matters is how these guys produce within the system. Julian Edelman was a 2-star recruit and I'm guessing Wes Welker was the same. In a similar way, UW is set up on offense to make the receivers look better than they really are, which makes the WR position more of a luxury than a must-have.

Julian Edelman played QB in college, at Kent State. So not only was he lightly recruited, he didn't even play the same position.

Welker and Amendola were both fairly lightly recruited guys that Leach developed at Texas Tech.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":15x763a6 said:
Not to say that Browning is Tom Brady, but the UW passing offense reminded me some of New England last year in how they used the spread and Browning's outstanding accuracy on slant route throws to turn average joe WRs into efficient targets.

Getting a big name would help, but what ultimately matters is how these guys produce within the system. Julian Edelman was a 2-star recruit and I'm guessing Wes Welker was the same. In a similar way, UW is set up on offense to make the receivers look better than they really are, which makes the WR position more of a luxury than a must-have.

It's worth noting that backup RB Dwayne Washington was 4th on the team in receiving yards last year, and was just replaced with a far better talent for the role. Sean McGrew reminds me of Danny Woodhead, and Woodhead is a guy who's had a lot of receiving production for New England and San Diego, two teams with similar passing tendencies to UW. These types of teams often throw a LOT of passes to backup RBs, so I think McGrew is going to be pretty big addition for UW right away, impacting the Huskies the way that Woodhead and Lewis have for the Chargers and Pats.

And speaking of Dwayne Washington, I've always thought it was a mistake to convert him from WR to RB. Washington has flashed exciting stuff when running routes down the field. I would love to see the Seahawks pick up Washington in UDFA and give him some looks at WR.

A lot of McDaniels offensive tendencies mirror college spread offenses, so the comparison could hold water.. I didn't watch many Husky games outside of the game against USC so really can't comment on the extent of the offense.

However, I don't think Husky fans should fret if Petersen doesn't land a recruiting class with a lot of splashy names. Petersen has never been that type of coach.. even when Boise was the media darling and dark horse candidate to contend for a title every year, he still thrived off recruiting classes littered with guys with big chips on their shoulder who they could develop the full 4-5 years in their program. Washington will never out recruit the LA schools, Stanford or Oregon and that's ok.. they really don't have to do that to field a competitive team.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":prw5lmso said:
However, I don't think Husky fans should fret if Petersen doesn't land a recruiting class with a lot of splashy names. Petersen has never been that type of coach.. even when Boise was the media darling and dark horse candidate to contend for a title every year, he still thrived off recruiting classes littered with guys with big chips on their shoulder who they could develop the full 4-5 years in their program. Washington will never out recruit the LA schools, Stanford or Oregon and that's ok.. they really don't have to do that to field a competitive team.

It's pretty crazy to think, but during Petersen's Boise State tenure his highest rated recruiting class (2007) ranked just 57th nationally by scout.com. The average over his career there was 71st. The same rating service has UW's 2016 group ranked 18th nationally.

UW was once a monster recruiter during the Don James era, and while USC and UCLA will of course have the inside track, I could see UW getting some very high recruiting scores if Peterson can lead the team to multiple 10+ win seasons.

It's going to be interesting, because to this point Peterson was always a guy that had to scheme and develop average talents. I wonder what his team would look like with several years of strong recruiting classes.

I think what separates the haves from the have nots in college football is decided in the trenches. I think it's a very good sign for UW's future how quickly Petersen has built a good, young OL and a strong front seven.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Highlights from every member of the Ducks class, if youre interested. My favorites are Dillon Mitchell, Tristen Wallace and Terry Wilson offensively, and AJ Hotchkins and Keith Simms defensively.

[youtube]eAAztDedLEk[/youtube]

Latest posts