NBA Finals Thread

knownone

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":36t7jq3k said:
Hawk-Lock":36t7jq3k said:
The scheduling is horrible, game 2 in GS isn't until Sunday. Looks like they will be playing games about every three days, rather than every other day. Only time you need two days is when you go between the two cities.

Thus my Halley's Comet joke......the NBA playoffs are ridiculously long. Especially now that everyone knows it's a foregone conclusion which two teams will be in the finals.

I had last night's game on for barely the first quarter before I got bored, turned the station and never went back. Watching two teams dunk and layup 200 times cause no one plays any defense anymore is a terrible product.

I know I'm in the minority cause NBA ratings are through the roof, but it's no bueno for a casual basketball fan like me.
I can understand the product being boring but the complaint about defense is kind of silly ><

Golden state statistically is one of the best defenses in NBA history and they just held one of the best offenses in NBA history to 25 points under their playoff average.

I think it's just hard to watch truly dominant teams play ball against inferior opponents and that's always been true in the NBA... I mean shoot even the 1987 Finals, Lakers vs Celtics, statistically the two best teams to ever meet in the finals had two games where the Lakers were on pace for 150 before resting starters... they finished with 141 points and 128 points.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2yrvba9v said:
Hawk-Lock":2yrvba9v said:
The scheduling is horrible, game 2 in GS isn't until Sunday. Looks like they will be playing games about every three days, rather than every other day. Only time you need two days is when you go between the two cities.

Thus my Halley's Comet joke......the NBA playoffs are ridiculously long. Especially now that everyone knows it's a foregone conclusion which two teams will be in the finals.

I had last night's game on for barely the first quarter before I got bored, turned the station and never went back. Watching two teams dunk and layup 200 times cause no one plays any defense anymore is a terrible product.

I know I'm in the minority cause NBA ratings are through the roof, but it's no bueno for a casual basketball fan like me.

I think the style of play itself is fine. Scoring is back up compared to the 90's when games wouldn't even break 100 points. Your problem with watching the game is probably no different than someone who can't stand watching the NFL for their own reasons (too may penalties, too much stoppage, etc.). As for defense in the NBA, GS is one of the best, although Cleveland is very mediocre on the defensive end of the court. The NBA is fun to watch, but the games have to be close. Too many of these playoff games have been over before halftime.

The big problem the NBA has is that there are two great teams and then everyone else. It basically makes the regular season really boring. Who cares who does what in 82 games when we all know the two teams that will be in the finals. And it gives little excitement to the first three rounds of the playoffs. The NBA is trying to find ways to keep stars on their original teams, but then you get great players taking pay cuts to join great teams.

253hawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":1pdxb7s3 said:
This is still a thing? Did they take a month off?

And if the series goes 7 games, it will take 2.5 weeks.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
253hawk":hf14n4s5 said:
sdog1981":hf14n4s5 said:
This is still a thing? Did they take a month off?

And if the series goes 7 games, it will take 2.5 weeks.

It might not go 4 the way the Warriors are playing

mrt144

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3fxeg1zd said:
Uncle Si":3fxeg1zd said:
fenderbender123":3fxeg1zd said:
Go Cavs (again), just for the fact that everyone and their brother has jumped on the GS bandwagon.

As opposed to Lebrons bandwagon?

I actually like Golden State. Fun team to watch. Kind of reminds me of the 80s NBA

It's more or less based on certain people I know who are rooting for Golden State....last year it seemed like everyone was rooting for GS because they didn't like Lebron.

But let's be honest...the main reason I'm rooting against GS, is because of Curry's face. It's just so punchable. I can tell just by looking at his face that he's an annoying piece of shit in real life. Not like a scummy person who commits crimes, but one of those annoying guys who flicked your ear in class and then pretended like he was just sitting there when you turned around, and then looked at you and said "what? Stop looking at me" in front of the whole class while all his buddies laughed at you. I can just tell he was that kind of person by looking at his face.

Happy, nice, faces make you punchy?

253hawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2g591gie said:
It might not go 4 the way the Warriors are playing

Fine by me. The sooner Durant wins a ring (and hopefully MVP) in 16-0 sweeping fashion in the face of OKC Team Stealer fans, the better.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Im a big Warriors fan. Although I can say with pride I was on their bandwagon way before most. I have been a fan since they drafted my boy Klay. They were the plucky underdogs with Mark Jackson as coach, they turned into the dominant champion, now after signing durrant they've gone full circle and people hate on them.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3201fwmy said:
Im a big Warriors fan. Although I can say with pride I was on their bandwagon way before most. I have been a fan since they drafted my boy Klay. They were the plucky underdogs with Mark Jackson as coach, they turned into the dominant champion, now after signing durrant they've gone full circle and people hate on them.

The Warriors get a lot of unwarranted hate. People forget that their entire team was built from within. There are actually a lot of similarities between them and how our SB Seahawks were built. Their entire core other than Durant was drafted. Plenty of teams could have drafted Curry, Klay or Draymond. Their GM also did a great job of getting their stars signed beforethe cap increased. Curry is only making $11M now, when he gets his new deal next season, he will likely be getting about $30M a year. This is likely the best they will ever be, once guys have to sign new contracts, they will have to let players walk, whether that be Iguodala or maybe even Klay. I always stood by the thought that the best Seahawks team was that SB team because of all the cheap rookie contracts.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Draymond Green gets two technical fouls and he is still playing. Apparently they are now saying the first tech was on Kerr. The NBA will have some explaining to do after this game.

253hawk

Reaction score
If that game wasn't a clear-cut case of reffing favoritism (even more so than game 3) to stretch the series out so that money isn't left on the table, I don't know what is. Absolutely ridiculous.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Shooting 1000% from 3 makes the refs irrelevant

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
253hawk":2e6ghq8k said:
If that game wasn't a clear-cut case of reffing favoritism (even more so than game 3) to stretch the series out so that money isn't left on the table, I don't know what is. Absolutely ridiculous.

I didn't really see it that way. If that was the case, they would have thrown out Green. The "ref fixing" thing in the NBA is completely overblown IMO. If anything, they should have fixed game 3 to make game 4 more interesting.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1vnw7mer said:
253hawk":1vnw7mer said:

I didn't really see it that way. If that was the case, they would have thrown out Green. The "ref fixing" thing in the NBA is completely overblown IMO. If anything, they should have fixed game 3 to make game 4 more interesting.

A flagrant on Love for getting Durant in the head trying to block a shot, but nothing for Zaza swinging below the belt. Complete reffing bias towards the Cavs.

Some calls get missed, some calls are made to freely. That's just the way the game goes.

253hawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3ak8jhym said:
253hawk":3ak8jhym said:

Did you miss the obvious backcourt violation by Irving? I mean, there is no other possible explanation for it. He's completely isolated and the ref is RIGHT THERE. Unless the photons that are bouncing off Klay's eyeballs knocked the ball away...

https://streamable.com/ysiat

JGreen79

Reaction score
253hawk":2v997rl6 said:
Hawk-Lock":2v997rl6 said:
253hawk":2v997rl6 said:

Did you miss the obvious backcourt violation by Irving? I mean, there is no other possible explanation for it. He's completely isolated and the ref is RIGHT THERE. Unless the photons that are bouncing off Klay's eyeballs knocked the ball away...

https://streamable.com/ysiat

Some calls get missed, some calls are made to freely. That's just the way the game goes. I saw a few plays after Kevin's flagrant where a golden state player made contact with a Cavilers players head that didn't get called either. It happens.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Doesn't really matter to me as the NBA died for me in 2008,
but I'm glad GS won for 2 reasons, Durant got his ring and it wasn't with OKC zombie sonics.

OKC fans and Clay Clay have to have a lot of "bitter beer face" going on right now! LMAO!

Msfann

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2e6gg1zf said:
Doesn't really matter to me as the NBA died for me in 2008,
but I'm glad GS won for 2 reasons, Durant got his ring and it wasn't with OKC zombie sonics.

OKC fans and Clay Clay have to have a lot of "bitter beer face" going on right now! LMAO!

:ditto:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
KD... what a player.

Lebron too. Gets a lot of shit for not being MJ. I watched the MJ era and he's still the best for me. But Lebron is right there.

Love this rivalry.