New article specifically on Sherman vs. Patrick Peterson

Hawks46

Reaction score
They had to give Peterson something, or it wouldn't have been much of a comparative article. He'd have only scored even in man to man and Sherm would have the advantage everywhere else.

Personally, I believe they both have great ball skills, but Sherm's tip toeing int's on the sidelines show his pedigree as a WR and that gives him the edge to me.

drdiags

Reaction score
Being a former Seahawks scout and Front Office guy, Brooks has to do his best to show objectivity as well. He was the guy that picked them to win the division in Pete's second year here when they ended up going 7-9. I like Brooks but know he has to be accepted and respected across the country to remain viable for NFL.com and NFLN.

Fine line to tap dance on. Just like trying to have an objective discussion anywhere is doomed to failure. Just spout the company line and all is good.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Both extremely talented CB's, funny thing is PP was a high 1st rd pick and Sherman was a 5th. Not saying Sherm isn't better but I doubt we'd notice any drop off if PP replaced him, biggest difference is we'd here a lot less talk coming from that position.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Wenhawk":bc4uucxk said:
Both extremely talented CB's, funny thing is PP was a high 1st rd pick and Sherman was a 5th. Not saying Sherm isn't better but I doubt we'd notice any drop off if PP replaced him, biggest difference is we'd here a lot less talk coming from that position.

well one thing that was noted in the article that is true and that we would notice is Sherman's hands-down superiority as a tackler.

Unless you want to reminisce about the kelly jennings days.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Wenhawk":nchtsttm said:

Patrick Peterson is not nearly as consistent as Sherman, that's really the main difference. Peterson is more raw in his technique and probably relies too much on his athletic ability.

During the 1st half of so of his rookie year, he was getting beat on a frequent basis. The reason he was so loved was his dynamic returns for TD's that year. He's certainly gotten alot better in his 2nd year. But Sherman also has improved.

IN every statistical category Sherman wins out. Even the article points out PP in 32 games has 9 int's and 29 PD's. Whearas Sherman has 1.5 seasons -- 26-28 games and has 12 INt's and 41 PD's. I think PP get's the benefit of the doubt based on his draft pedigree.

OP
OP
cacksman

cacksman

Reaction score
drdiags":rqoqbymb said:
Being a former Seahawks scout and Front Office guy, Brooks has to do his best to show objectivity as well. He was the guy that picked them to win the division in Pete's second year here when they ended up going 7-9. I like Brooks but know he has to be accepted and respected across the country to remain viable for NFL.com and NFLN.

Fine line to tap dance on. Just like trying to have an objective discussion anywhere is doomed to failure. Just spout the company line and all is good.

Oh interesting, I didn't know that.

drdiags

Reaction score
cacksman":1kjz4c6z said:
Oh interesting, I didn't know that.

Yeah, he mentions it every now and then when giving his draft analysis or sometimes in his articles. I didn't know myself back then, just found out over the past few years when he started to bring it up.

Bucky Brooks

Drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the second round of the 1994 NFL Draft, Bucky Brooks played for five different teams (Buffalo, Jacksonville, Green Bay, Kansas City and Oakland) in five NFL seasons. After his playing career was over in 1999, Brooks joined the Seattle Seahawks' pro personnel department as a regional college scout. He served in the same capacity for the Carolina Panthers from 2003-07, before joining CNNSI.com as a football analyst. He joined NFL.com in 2009.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":xmckhfs6 said:
They had to give Peterson something, or it wouldn't have been much of a comparative article. He'd have only scored even in man to man and Sherm would have the advantage everywhere else.

Personally, I believe they both have great ball skills, but Sherm's tip toeing int's on the sidelines show his pedigree as a WR and that gives him the edge to me.

You got that right, having that Receiver background is a huge advantage, because understanding how the hookup patterns between QB and their Receivers, plays into how you need to cover.
PLUS, Sherman studies the hell out of his opponents and understands how to take the control away from most of those Receivers that he goes against.

kearly

Reaction score
Peterson had that crazy athletic interception against us last year where he out hustled Golden Tate to the ball. He definitely has elite level ball skills. Better than Sherman? I don't think so, but he's close enough that it could go either way, probably.

formido

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3ezwaegc said:
biggest difference is we'd here a lot less talk coming from that position.

Which would be too bad because Sherman brings a lot of press to the the team and teams that get a lot of press are expected to win and teams that are expected to win get more 50/50 calls from the refs. So glad we've got a loud mouth on the team.

Cartire

Reaction score
kearly":1h3b5azj said:
Peterson had that crazy athletic interception against us last year where he out hustled Golden Tate to the ball. He definitely has elite level ball skills. Better than Sherman? I don't think so, but he's close enough that it could go either way, probably.

Are you talking about his interception at the Clink? Cause the ball was tipped and Golden tripped coming back for the tipped ball. I wouldnt say Peterson did anything but fall forward where the ball was conveniently tipped too.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
formido":26z0gmbd said:
Wenhawk":26z0gmbd said:
biggest difference is we'd here a lot less talk coming from that position.

Which would be too bad because Sherman brings a lot of press to the the team and teams that get a lot of press are expected to win and teams that are expected to win get more 50/50 calls from the refs. So glad we've got a loud mouth on the team.

Oh I'm not arguing i'd rather have him not talk. I love Sherms attitude, but he has gone too far a few times, and is now put a target on his back. His jawing with Brady, and the optimus prime thing were great. Skip Bayless and Roddy White, maybe even te talking vs the redskins that got hi slapped might have been a little too much. But I love how he has an attitude that he is the best and the up here in the PNW we get no love.

HollywoodHawk

Reaction score
I think the vid has been posted here before, but if ya missed it, worth taking a look at. On topic. What still gets me about the vid/game, was Browner wasn't there and Sherm took that game over!!! I know between the two who I would want (that is between Sherm and PP).

[youtube]1tyaJpDoEms[/youtube]

kearly

Reaction score
Cartire":jmvfm43i said:
Are you talking about his interception at the Clink? Cause the ball was tipped and Golden tripped coming back for the tipped ball. I wouldnt say Peterson did anything but fall forward where the ball was conveniently tipped too.

I don't know if I agree. If the ball was tipped, you can't clearly tell from the video. Even if it was, I don't think it was significant if you need a magnifying glass and slo-mo to know it. Tate did stumble a bit, but I thought Peterson had superior positioning before that and made a very athletic play to finish the interception.

It was pretty much the only good play Peterson made in that game though. I've gone on record saying that I think he's one of the league's most over-rated players, and I loved him coming out of LSU.

Cartire

Reaction score
kearly":1bfmnlbz said:
Cartire":1bfmnlbz said:

I don't know if I agree. If the ball was tipped, you can't clearly tell from the video. Even if it was, I don't think it was significant if you need a magnifying glass and slo-mo to know it. Tate did stumble a bit, but I thought Peterson had superior positioning before that and made a very athletic play to finish the interception.

It was pretty much the only good play Peterson made in that game though. I've gone on record saying that I think he's one of the league's most over-rated players, and I loved him coming out of LSU.

It was obviously tipped, that announcers even called it tipped.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
A stat put in the comments on nfl.com was Peterson vs Crabtree and Sherman vs Crabtree, and you know what Sherm kicked butt :!: There were 4 touchdowns made by Crabtree vs Peterson and a big goose egg vs Sherman. Mind you that is only vs one specific player but happens to be a player both teams play every year twice. They can go and say how Peterson is better because of his special teams plays, just because Sherman doesn't play special teams. Aside from a blocked field goal ran in for a touchdown.

Latest posts