NEW Kicker?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
AF_BASS_MAN":290t04ka said:
Myers?!?!?!?!

Is that an improvement?

Not even remotely.

Myers is arguably worse. Walsh's missed kicks have just been magnified ever since the shank in the playoffs.

I hope this isn't their only solution to this problem.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2pac5ma1 said:
Season has been over for 4 days. This is just one of a few that they likely bring in. Seriously doubt he's our kicker next season.

We said that a year ago when Walsh was inked to a futures deal.

Threedee

Reaction score
Given they were dumb enough to sign Walsh, I think Roberto Aguayo would make more sense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not only were they incredibly dumb to sign Walsh.....he missed 3 vs. the Skins, and they still had 8 REGULAR SEASON GAMES left. No excuse for not getting someone else. And I'm not buying the whole "we have a game in 4 days at Arizona, so there's no time" crap.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
He will be competition for the UDFA we bring in. There are a ton of College place kickers that will not be taken in the draft and one I hope will have a blue helmet come September.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3eg0p71g said:
Not only were they incredibly dumb to sign Walsh.....he missed 3 vs. the Skins, and they still had 8 REGULAR SEASON GAMES left. No excuse for not getting someone else. And I'm not buying the whole "we have a game in 4 days at Arizona, so there's no time" crap.

Redskins game came after we acquired Duane Brown and 3 days before half the team got hurt in Arizona. We were so cap strapped they couldn't IR Kam for what.. 3 or 4 weeks? That's why they were stuck with Walsh.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, good point. Just seemed really odd that they still kept him. I could have seen maybe waiting til after the Zona game and then having time to move some things around and find a kicker with the 10 day break.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Very few people signed by a team to a future's contract in January are really worth celebrating and hardly mean much at all. These guys are usually developmental players. The fact is that Walsh is a free agent who was unlikely to be re-signed with the performance he gave us this year. I'd be shocked if this guy is on the roster come game 1. I believe we will sign a new kicker to actually suit up for the season between now and then though.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The futures contract gets this guy into camp to compete against whoever else they bring in. It doesn't even count against the cap if he doesn't get on the 53 at the end of training camp; if they like him he'll probably make the minimum next year. About as low risk as it gets.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This guy:

Auburn led by All-America kicker Daniel Carlson in 2017 SEC media days

6'4" 216#

Extra point accuracy in 4 years at Auburn, 100%

His longest field goal in each year was 51, 56, 53, and 54 yards.

His FG percentage in 2015 and 2016 was 85.2% and 87.5% respectively. But he had a down 2017 with 71%. 3 of those misses came from beyond 50 yards, and 2 came from beyond 40. I'd have to look deeper but, sometimes there are circumstances beyond a kicker's control, bad snap, poor blocking, field conditions.

I'm trying to find his kickoff stats which are important also.

I noticed in the 2nd half of the Oklahoma/Georgia game that the Georgia kicker was consistently kicking the ball down to the 1 or 2 yard line, forcing the returner to take the ball, and then he was tackled right away. Georgia controlled field position that way because Oklahoma went conservative when backed up.

Oklahoma's failed squibb kick at the end of the 1st half basically cost them the game because it gave Georgia the 3 points they needed to tie up the game at the end.

NEVER underestimate the importance of the kicking game (Pete).

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/sto ... 457785001/

chris98251

Reaction score
We always have multiple camp legs, he could be a twofer as competition and another leg for camp, talk to me in August about this after we see them in action and the churn has happened.

5280Hawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":pxmvgt3w said:
This guy:

6'4" 216#

His FG percentage in 2015 and 2016 was 85.2% and 87.5% respectively. But he had a down 2017 with 71%. 3 of those misses came from beyond 50 yards, and 2 came from beyond 40. I'd have to look deeper but, sometimes there are circumstances beyond a kicker's control, bad snap, poor blocking, field conditions.

I noticed in the 2nd half of the Oklahoma/Georgia game that the Georgia kicker was consistently kicking the ball down to the 1 or 2 yard line, forcing the returner to take the ball, and then he was tackled right away. Georgia controlled field position that way because Oklahoma went conservative when backed up.

Oklahoma's failed squibb kick at the end of the 1st half basically cost them the game because it gave Georgia the 3 points they needed to tie up the game at the end.

Wow, is it crazy that I think the Hawks should go after this guy in the Draft? He is projected to go in the 4-6th round If he's there in the 4th we need to pull the trigger!

chris98251

Reaction score
5280Hawk":25sqcvz4 said:
ivotuk":25sqcvz4 said:
This guy:

6'4" 216#

Wow, is it crazy that I think the Hawks should go after this guy in the Draft? He is projected to go in the 4-6th round If he's there in the 4th we need to pull the trigger!

Yeah lets be the Jags :)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
5280Hawk":3ilkr25l said:
ivotuk":3ilkr25l said:
This guy:

6'4" 216#

So you're basically saying we should take a kicker with our 2nd pick of the draft.

Um. What?

Adam Vinatieri, arguably the best kicker of all-time was undrafted.
Justin Tucker, arguably the best kicker currently was undrafted.
Harrison Butker as a late 7th round pick led the AFC in scoring for a kicker.
Robbie Gould, the leading scorer in the NFL this year.. undrafted.

You do not draft a kicker in the 4th round. No. No. No.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Any chance we get someone that does both placekicking & punting or does that just not happen anymore?

original poster

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3owb6b91 said:
Any chance we get someone that does both placekicking & punting or does that just not happen anymore?

I’m not aware of a single NFL team doing it.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
There is such a large pool of kickers out their that it is completely feasible that every NFL team could have a great kicker on their team. Trick is being able to find a guy that has the attributes, affordable and doesn't get rattled.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Do we need another thread for a new punter? $3,6M for punter?

From the same espy article:
The Seahawks' visit with Locke, 28, is an indication that they'll look for cheaper alternatives to Jon Ryan, a potential salary cap casualty. Seattle's longest-tenured player, Ryan is 36 and is scheduled to count $3.6 million against the 2018 cap, double his cap cost from this past season.