New kickoff/fair catch rule.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Ball placed @25 yard line for fair catch within 25 yards of goal line.

1 year trial period approved.

Attachments

• IMG_1241.png
    IMG_1241.png
    311.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1242.png
    IMG_1242.png
    285.3 KB · Views: 22

sutz

Reaction score
IDK. I kinda see people's point here, but I don't hate the idea. It's still optional, you can still run it back if you want to. It might lead to more muffs if the returner is looking upfield to scope the coverage when he should have his eyes on the ball. ;)

I do think it's something they should try out in pre-season before putting it in for real games.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
this is awful. Literally no reason to even have a kickoff - it's going to end up on the 25 yard line in almost every situation.
And if they end up liking this 1 year trial, we may eventually end up with no kickoffs.

Just start every drive at the 20 or 25 yard line.

I don’t like where this may be headed, not one bit.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The next step will be giving the receiving team the option of skipping the kickoff entirely and having the ball placed on the 25 yard line.

I probably wouldn't be opposed to the idea of a fair catch on the field if the ball was to be placed at the 20 yard line instead. Make the receiving team pay a small penalty for taking the easy way out.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Ball placed @25 yard line for fair catch within 25 yards of goal line.

1 year trial period approved.
I hate this.

More watering down the game. Unfortunately I don't think it's gonna stop anytime soon. The snowflakes have assumed control.

One more step to eliminating all punts and kicks.

You know what? I saw my son's flag football team about 8 years ago one weekend. I'm sure this is ubiquitous, but they had no kicking at all. They'd say the word 'punt' and just switch sides and place the ball. It was like watching kids yell 'car' when they're playing street hockey.

It was stupid then. It's stupid now. And so are the f'ing nerf goddamned helmet covers.

And get of my lawn.

Enjoy the next couple/three years. It's gonna get decidedly more figure-skating soon.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think if you change the trajectory of kickoffs to make them high and inside the 20 it may be ok, one a high kick in the wind coming down can create some unusual circumstances, add rain and it could be interesting, to fair catch they have to catch it.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
How long until games are decided by penalty kicks?

They've already tweaked the rules / officiating to the point nearly every game is decided in the last two minutes anyway.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
This essentially takes away any kicking strategy by the kicking team. Unless they opt for an onsides kick which has basically been neutered anyway.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
If they want to change kickoffs, I’d like to see them move the spot back.

I hate seeing 85+% go into the end zone.

I understand that they are attempting to protect players but I miss the old days off kickoffs.

Macafee has a great take IMO
I just don't see any way to have exciting kickoffs that are also safe. It's pretty much one or the other. I do miss the excitement of what could *possibly* happen on a kickoff, but on the other hand that is a ton of brutal hits (both on and away from the ball) for just a small number of exciting plays. The vast majority are routine.
Football will never be safe, nor should it be, but regular plays from scrimmage provide the overwhelming amount of excitement, so trying to keep players healthy/safe for that area of the game makes sense. Kickoffs will simply never be fun again

renofox

Reaction score
This makes kickers even less valuable. Having a good kicker who can kickoff high to the 1 yard line to force a return is no longer valuable as that strategy/skill has now been negated. Same thing with punters.

Coming next - no more rushing or OL or DL or rushing the passer. 7 players each side. C, QB, 5 WR vs. 7 DB.

Use flags so nobody gets hurt. Any contact whatsoever is a penalty.

Sounds like a great game for betas and pussiez.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
It's like they're trying to phase out the special teams part of the game without phasing out the special teams part of the game. Piece of my piece over the years.

DJrmb

Reaction score
XFL to the rescue? Maybe?

Which XFL rules should the NFL consider stealing?
The XFL's rule was one of many preserved from the league's 2020 incarnation, and it has continued to hit its goal of maximizing returns and minimizing the incentive for touchbacks while avoiding the high-speed collisions that made the traditional kickoff so dangerous. It takes some getting used to, as 20 players stand still with the ball in the air, but the numbers don't lie: More than 90% of XFL kickoffs have been returned this season, compared to about 40% of NFL kickoffs.
https://www.espn.com/xfl/story/_/id/35913211/which-xfl-rules-nfl-consider-stealing